Tt Position

jderinger

Jun 29, 2015
I am having trouble putting out power on my TT bike despite riding it a lot. On my road bike my 20 min power is about 320. On my TT bike it is about 260. My HR isn't pegged when I'm doing this - my legs just don't have the power. My saddle is fairly far forward - about 2.5 cm behind the BB. I only do TTs, so no need to preserve my legs for any run. Would love some thoughts on my position. I am fairly good from an aero position I think - at 260 watts I do just under 27mph on a flat course (my head is probably not ideal in this photo). But if I can close the gap on my power my speed will be a lot better. Would love some thoughts/criticsm.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/133653521@N06/shares/o951R9

Attachments

• ttpos.JPG
    ttpos.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 25
My best advise is look at some videos of Andreas Kloden. He may not have the strength of Cancellara but I always considered his TT form to be impeccable.

Your ankle looks really high on the upstroke. Comparison video between your road and TT pedaling may prove helpful.

This software is open source and has an example showing how to analyze a pedal stroke.

http://www.kinovea.org/

You can't compare road vs TT positions. They are different. Where the weight is carried on the bike is not the same. In a TT and Tri position the weight is carried more forward in relation to the bottom bracket and the pelvis and torso are rotated forward. So what would be the 12 o'clock position on a road bike would be more like the one-thirty position on a TT bike. At the top of the pedal stroke, the ankle tends to come up way higher in the TT position than on a road bike. Not true of everyone but generally it's the case.

It's widely accepted that there is a penalty for going aero - That the power output in aero position does not quite match. I've heard anywhere from a few percent to up to 20... however the aero benefit makes up for the dip in power. I say poppycock. The TT position uses more of the quad and glutes where as the road position uses more of the entire leg. If there is a drop in power then it's because your quads and glutes are not as developed. I have an INCREASE in power on my tri bike from my road bike. A decade of carrying lots of heavy military gear through the worst terrain imaginable has left me 10+ extra pounds in the thighs that I can't seem to get rid of. It makes buying jeans and bibs nearly impossible.

As far as your fit goes - If you are looking to tweak fit to that level then you should see a professional fitter, preferably one in your area that is well versed in TT/Tri positioning. I'm talking the really good ones with years of experience. As a fitter myself - without watching you on the bike and having good measurements of both you and your bike, recommendations would be nothing more than a guess. Plus, why give away what has cost thousands to learn and years of experience and practice to develop.

Also ya place is a bit of a mess :p

You need to find a position that provides enough comfort and also maximizes aerodynamics and power output. It's pretty obvious when you see it:

tt-1.jpg

tt-3.jpg