TT training routes in Greater Toronto Area

dragon76

Jun 17, 2004
Can anyone recommend some good routes to ride for TT training? Good as in having a minimal # of traffic lights and stop signs, flat terrain, minimal cars and pedestrians to dodge.

Routes that are in the Richmond Hill and Markham area are most ideal for me, but I'd also be interested in other areas as well.

Thanks in advance!

1. During low traffic volume times - try Warden going north, it's especially good once you get north of Aurora sideroad.
2. During high volume traffic times - take the east west routes like Vandorf and to avoid the commuters.
3. The Holland Marsh is always good and about as flat as you can get.
Good luck

Thanks for the great suggestions! I will definitely do some recon and will try training in those areas.

If anyone has further suggestions, please keep them coming.

cheers

dragon76 said:
Can anyone recommend some good routes to ride for TT training? Good as in having a minimal # of traffic lights and stop signs, flat terrain, minimal cars and pedestrians to dodge.

Routes that are in the Richmond Hill and Markham area are most ideal for me, but I'd also be interested in other areas as well.

Thanks in advance!

You might want to check out some of the Training Ride maps on the Friends For Life Bike Rally Page (Link)

First year doing the Rally, so cant comment on many of the routes yet - but other riders have said good things about the longer rides that get out of the city (Terracotta/etc). All of them start/end at a TTC stop, so they are easy to get to.

dragon76 said:

Thanks in advance!

I find that the roads a bit further north are great. I do about 100km/day on the concessions south of Collingwood and Wasaga Beach...there are a couple of nice climbs on Fairgrounds road from Wasaga to Creemore then on the Glen Huron/Duntroon/Collingwood, but the concessions around Elmvale/Stayner/Wasaga are flat and fast, especially the Concession 12/Flos Road 4/Vigo Road...about a 50km loop, all paved with very little traffic.

Other areas to consider:
-Lakeshore Blvd where it turns south at Southdown - great stretch with no lights until Winston Churchill, and even then, you might get to Trafalgar red-light free.
-I recently completed Tour de Norfolk and all roads are quiet and flat through farm country. About an hour and a half drive from Toronto.
Good luck!