TT training

wnowak06

Jun 27, 2005
i was just wondering what are some good exercises to improve one's time trialing. i know intervals are good but i'm looking for some specific workouts to do. i would like to train for a 10-20 mile TT (somewhere in that range). what do you guys do to work on this? any suggestions would be great...

wnowak06 said:
i was just wondering what are some good exercises to improve one's time trialing. i know intervals are good but i'm looking for some specific workouts to do. i would like to train for a 10-20 mile TT (somewhere in that range). what do you guys do to work on this? any suggestions would be great...
For shorter TT's (10 mile), try doing 2 x 5 mile TT's with a 5-10 minute recovery in between. Also try 5x5 minute intervals to train your oxygen delivery system(VO2max).
Longer TT's (25 miles), try doing 2-3 20 minute intervals at a pace you can sustain for the 25mile distance(5 minutes recovery in between). 5x5 minute intervals will also help with this distance.

You will need to experiment with your pace/intensity for these work-outs to get the most from them. The 5 minute intervals are of course done at a higher intensity, something that leaves you struggling to complete intervals no.3 onwards.

Future-pro said:
I recommend contacting this man Paul Oz http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/index.php?showuser=8 about buying his time trialling guide lots of helpful information. As well as the usual training rides I do 4x2 mile intervals at 30+ mph with 3 minutes rest and 2x10 minute at race pace with 3 min rest in between.
Find a good 5-6 mile loop.
First lap go slow and steady...warmup.
2nd lap go hard, intense. Tempo or TT pace..near threshold or slightly above.
3rd lap go slow and steady...recovery
4th lap go hard intense(repeat of 2nd lap). Push to maximum for last 2 miles of loop.
5th lap...slow and steady. Recover and cool down. end.

Do this workout solo...2 X's per week during the weeks leading up to the event(example...sunday and thursday). Approx 30 miles

Also do at least one long slow ride per week(LSD..long slow distance) to build endurance, shed weight, build power, improve effeciency/economy, etc. The distance of the LSD ride should be based on your fitness level. For some..a good LSD will cover 60 miles or more. But for others, 40 miles might be considered long. Depends on you base fitness level.