TT/Triath. vs. regular road bike?????

jayhunter

Aug 11, 2005
I am new to cycling and have a Trek 1000. Primarily I ride between 30 and 40 miles on Saturdays and Sundays and 10 to 15 miles on 3 of the weekdays. I have been riding now for a couple months and already have the bug for a more serious bike....I greatly underestimated how interested I would be in the sport. So my question is, since I enjoy reletivley short, faster rides and to be honest don't have the time to do anything longer, would I be better off on a TT or Triathlon style bike vs a regular road bike? I also like a very aggressive riding position which leads me to think I should go that route as well. What are the advantages/disadvantes between the two types for my lenght of rides?

I would appreciate any advice I can get from people with experience on both. Thanks very much.

In addition to aerodynamic frames and components, TT bikes typically have steeper seat tubes and bigger saddle to bar drops. Unless you're really serious about racing, they usually aren't worth the investment. You can get pretty much the same position on a regular road bike with the right seat post and a set of clip on aero bars. This will also give you the ability to go back to the road set-up if you find time for longer rides.

They both have their place for a reason. A lot of my decision would be based upon what type of routes and environment I was riding. The handling of most TT geometries put it at a severe disadvantage on more technical courses; and I struggle on steep climbs. Likewise I never feel at ease in a pack or around traffic on a TT in comparison to a RR.

jayhunter said:
I am new to cycling and have a Trek 1000. Primarily I ride between 30 and 40 miles on Saturdays and Sundays and 10 to 15 miles on 3 of the weekdays. I have been riding now for a couple months and already have the bug for a more serious bike....I greatly underestimated how interested I would be in the sport. So my question is, since I enjoy reletivley short, faster rides and to be honest don't have the time to do anything longer, would I be better off on a TT or Triathlon style bike vs a regular road bike? I also like a very aggressive riding position which leads me to think I should go that route as well. What are the advantages/disadvantes between the two types for my lenght of rides?

I would appreciate any advice I can get from people with experience on both. Thanks very much.
Road bike. Most racers and serious triathletes use their TT/Triathlon set-up bikes for race day only. Those that train on their aero position bikes do so to get used to the position and/or because it is their only bike.

For most general riding, even very aggressive, the road bike will suit you better. If you like the aero postion, use aero bars and perhaps move your saddle forward a bit.

artmichalek said:
In addition to aerodynamic frames and components, TT bikes typically have steeper seat tubes and bigger saddle to bar drops. Unless you're really serious about racing, they usually aren't worth the investment. You can get pretty much the same position on a regular road bike with the right seat post and a set of clip on aero bars. This will also give you the ability to go back to the road set-up if you find time for longer rides.
I agree with Art. If you want to get into time trialing, then maybe invest in a pair of clipon aero bars and the seat (flip the stem if necessary). If you find you love time trialing, then maybe invest in a TT bike. But if you're just trying to get some exercise doing 10-15 miles at a time, you're probably better off with your 1000.

Thanks for the all the quick reply's. It appears that I am better off with a Road bike. I am thinking about doing some racing. I have only been riding for about 2 months, but was already in good shape as I have been in the gym/running for 12 years now and am 27 years old. I am able to complete a 35-40 mile ride at with an average speed somewhere over 20 mph and am not all that tired after it. I don't have a computer yet, but given the distance and time I was out, I calculate it as such. After only 2 months I am feeling much more confortable on the bike and can really feel an improvment. At some point I do want to compete in an event to see how I would do, learn more about the sport, and meet people who are involved.

I guess I will look into getting a better road bike than rather than a TT bike and if I decide that is the route I want to go, I can always make that investment later. Thanks again for all the help.

What are the structural and/or design differences between a triathlon and a time trial bike? Are they significant?

Ashley3 said:
What are the structural and/or design differences between a triathlon and a time trial bike? Are they significant?
Yeah, they are significant. Most importantly, many tri bikes aren't UCI legal and can't be used in USCF sanctioned events. The flip side is that UCI legal bikes can be used in triathlons. Most people who get a tri bike plan to use it only in triathlons.

RapDaddyo said:
Yeah, they are significant. Most importantly, many tri bikes aren't UCI legal and can't be used in USCF sanctioned events. The flip side is that UCI legal bikes can be used in triathlons. Most people who get a tri bike plan to use it only in triathlons.

Gotcha. What distinctions make the tri bikes illegal for sanctioned events? What's different about their design, weight or whatever?

Ashley3 said:
Gotcha. What distinctions make the tri bikes illegal for sanctioned events? What's different about their design, weight or whatever?
The most visible difference is that triathlons allow "beam" bikes such as the Softride and there is no lower weight limit as there is for UCI racing. Triathlons, of course, allow aero bars at all times, whereas for road racing, they are allowed only in TTs.

John M said:
The most visible difference is that triathlons allow "beam" bikes such as the Softride and there is no lower weight limit as there is for UCI racing. Triathlons, of course, allow aero bars at all times, whereas for road racing, they are allowed only in TTs.

Am I correct in thinking, then, that there really isn't all that much difference and I may as well get a more versitile TT bike and use it for triathlons? I've already got a great road bike. I understand that Orbea's come out with, or is about to come out with, a new carbon TT bike that I'm told is high quality at a reasonable price.

Ashley3 said:
Am I correct in thinking, then, that there really isn't all that much difference and I may as well get a more versitile TT bike and use it for triathlons? I've already got a great road bike. I understand that Orbea's come out with, or is about to come out with, a new carbon TT bike that I'm told is high quality at a reasonable price.
You are correct.

Ashley3 said:
Also, aero bars are illegal in mass start races, and frowned upon at club rides.

Ashley3 said:
No! You are not correct. A TT design may be best depending onwhat your intended us is; but, as has been pointed out in previous posts there are substantial differences in the designs. TT bikes tend not to be that versatile, but have specific advantages for their use. A pretty good summary explanation can be found on-line at:
http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/bikes/difference.shtml

Slider77 said:
No! You are not correct. A TT design may be best depending onwhat your intended us is; but, as has been pointed out in previous posts there are substantial differences in the designs. TT bikes tend not to be that versatile, but have specific advantages for their use. A pretty good summary explanation can be found on-line at:
http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/bikes/difference.shtml

I just read the piece. Thanks for pointing me to it. It's interesting. But I wasn't asking whether there was a difference between a ROAD bike and a triathlon bike. I was asking about the distinctions between a Time Trial bike and a triathlon bike. As the piece points out, Lance (and all other stage road race professionals) doesn't ride his road bike for time trials:
"You may notice in bicycle races like the Tour de France that racers use a traditional road bike during most of the stages, but switch to a different, triathlon style bike during the time trial stages. Lance Armstrong used a stock Trek OCLV frame in the road stages, but a custom Litespeed Blade with Trek decals in the time trials. There are two reasons for this (that are really the same). First, UCI rules prohibit the use of aero bars in mass-start (pack) racing. Secondly, as we’ve learned, triathlon style bikes are not at their best for pack riding, riding on long climbs (mountains) and where frequent, high speed cornering is important."

Ashley3 said:
...But I wasn't asking whether there was a difference between a ROAD bike and a triathlon bike. I was asking about the distinctions between a Time Trial bike and a triathlon bike...
Ah indeed. My bad. For some reason my feeble brain did process it as Road vs. TT. :eek:

Ashley3 said:
I just read the piece. Thanks for pointing me to it. It's interesting. But I wasn't asking whether there was a difference between a ROAD bike and a triathlon bike. I was asking about the distinctions between a Time Trial bike and a triathlon bike. As the piece points out, Lance (and all other stage road race professionals) doesn't ride his road bike for time trials:
"You may notice in bicycle races like the Tour de France that racers use a traditional road bike during most of the stages, but switch to a different, triathlon style bike during the time trial stages. Lance Armstrong used a stock Trek OCLV frame in the road stages, but a custom Litespeed Blade with Trek decals in the time trials. There are two reasons for this (that are really the same). First, UCI rules prohibit the use of aero bars in mass-start (pack) racing. Secondly, as we’ve learned, triathlon style bikes are not at their best for pack riding, riding on long climbs (mountains) and where frequent, high speed cornering is important."
Triatholon bikes rules are more lax than UCI, hence a bike that can potentially outperform a UCI bike due to sans-seatpost frames and/or a super light frame.........

Ashley3 said:
heres a pretty good link explaining why you want or dont want a dedicated tri/tt bike compared to a road bike. its a bit long but full of good info.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/bikefit.html

or you can look at this geometry PDF file from TREK comparing the TT bike to the tri bike. TT looks to be even more upright seat tube, shorter wheel base, more compact to get your upper body even more down & aero.

http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2004/pdf/2004_geometry_en.pdf