TT wheel set for windy biking

CycleFast

Nov 12, 2005
I live in an area where there's a bit of wind many days throughout the season. I'm therefore considering getting e.g. a complete Zipp 808 wheel set instead of a disc.

Would this be a good choice for training and racing in areas where there's often a bit of wind? Is an 82mm deep rim on the front wheel to much for this environment?

Thanks for any tips or links to places/threads where this has been discussed before.

________
CycleFast

CycleFast said:
I live in an area where there's a bit of wind many days throughout the season. I'm therefore considering getting e.g. a complete Zipp 808 wheel set instead of a disc.

Would this be a good choice for training and racing in areas where there's often a bit of wind? Is an 82mm deep rim on the front wheel to much for this environment?

Thanks for any tips or links to places/threads where this has been discussed before.

________
CycleFast
Search the slowtwitch.com forum and post your question there. Alot of TT/triathlon aero wheel talk there.

How deep is too deep depends on the individual rider (weight, riding style, etc...) Many people would consider 82mm pretty deep for a front wheel in really heavy cross winds, others would be OK with a Blackwell 100. You might consider getting a Zipp 808 or similar and use a wheelcover for non-windy days to get the aero advantages of a disk. The extra weight is not much of a penalty compared to the aero advantages of the disk cover.