Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

TTT Forgie/Prima 1999 slip broblems

Started by Eric Lambi · · Last activity · 4 posts · 806 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
1 April 2004
Last activity
3 April 2004
Original author
Eric Lambi
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
806
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello rec.bicycles.tech:

    My bike has a Forgie stem and a Prima 199 handlebar. I
    have had a lot of problems with the handlebars slipping
    and/or coming loose when I hit a bump or hole in the road.
    I've asked two different mechanics about it, but they
    don't seem to know how or why this would be a problem. I
    assumed it was a problem with the stem, but I've tried two
    different Forgie stems, so it is either a design flaw in
    the stem, user error, or a problem with the handlebar
    (don't know what that would be). Any advice on how to fix
    this would be appreciated -- if I need a new stem,
    recommendations would be good. I like the 0-rise so that
    the stem is parallel to the road.

    Thanks!

    Eric Lambi [email hidden]

  2. On 1 Apr 2004 07:11:40 -0800, [email hidden] (Eric Lambi)

    Quoted message said:

    Hello rec.bicycles.tech:

    My bike has a Forgie stem and a Prima 199 handlebar. I have
    had a lot of problems with the handlebars slipping and/or
    coming loose when I hit a bump or hole in the road. I've
    asked two different mechanics about it, but they don't seem
    to know how or why this would be a problem. I assumed it
    was a problem with the stem, but I've tried two different
    Forgie stems, so it is either a design flaw in the stem,
    user error, or a problem with the handlebar (don't know
    what that would be). Any advice on how to fix this would be
    appreciated -- if I need a new stem, recommendations would
    be good. I like the 0-rise so that the stem is parallel to
    the road.

    Thanks!

    Eric Lambi [email hidden]

    I seem to recall 3T advising sanding the stem and clamp area
    of the bar. Also using no grease. Maybe it's in the manual
    that came with your stem? Anyway, worked for me.

  3. dianne_1234 said:

    I seem to recall 3T advising sanding the stem and clamp
    area of the bar. Also using no grease. Maybe it's in the
    manual that came with your stem? Anyway, worked for me.

    I'm using a Forgie with a Prima handlebar (I'm not sure it's
    a 199), with grease and without sanding. No problems so far.
    Maybe my handlebar is different from yours.

  4. "frenkatfrenk-do-t_ c0m-p" <"frenkatfrenk-do-t_ c0m-p"@rse-this-if-you.can> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    dianne_1234 said:

    I seem to recall 3T advising sanding the stem and
    clamp area of the bar. Also using no grease. Maybe
    it's in the manual that came with your stem? Anyway,
    worked for me.

    I'm using a Forgie with a Prima handlebar (I'm not sure
    it's a 199), with grease and without sanding. No problems
    so far. Maybe my handlebar is different from yours.

    Apparently 3T still recommend it. From
    3ttt.com3tt Ing.PDF

    (In translation, the "collar" appears to be the stem's
    handle bar clamp. "Clamp" sounds like the stem's steerer
    tube clamp.)

    "Apply sand paper (av. grain # 100) to remove any rust
    inside the collar (smooth off any rough edges). This will
    make the surface a little rough and help the parts to adhere
    to each other during locking. If the stem is painted, apply
    sand paper also inside the clamp (E).

    If you have a compressed air blower, lightly apply it on all
    the threaded holes to clean them perfectly.

    Place the bar inside the head collar, without scratching its
    surface; apply the front piece and tighten the screws,
    slightly."

    ...etc.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.