TTT Forgie/Prima 1999 slip broblems

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Eric Lambi, Apr 1, 2004.

  1. Eric Lambi

    Eric Lambi Guest

    Hello rec.bicycles.tech:

    My bike has a Forgie stem and a Prima 199 handlebar. I
    have had a lot of problems with the handlebars slipping
    and/or coming loose when I hit a bump or hole in the road.
    I've asked two different mechanics about it, but they
    don't seem to know how or why this would be a problem. I
    assumed it was a problem with the stem, but I've tried two
    different Forgie stems, so it is either a design flaw in
    the stem, user error, or a problem with the handlebar
    (don't know what that would be). Any advice on how to fix
    this would be appreciated -- if I need a new stem,
    recommendations would be good. I like the 0-rise so that
    the stem is parallel to the road.

    Thanks!

    Eric Lambi [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Dianne_1234

    Dianne_1234 Guest

    On 1 Apr 2004 07:11:40 -0800, [email protected] (Eric Lambi)
    wrote:

    >Hello rec.bicycles.tech:
    >
    >My bike has a Forgie stem and a Prima 199 handlebar. I have
    >had a lot of problems with the handlebars slipping and/or
    >coming loose when I hit a bump or hole in the road. I've
    >asked two different mechanics about it, but they don't seem
    >to know how or why this would be a problem. I assumed it
    >was a problem with the stem, but I've tried two different
    >Forgie stems, so it is either a design flaw in the stem,
    >user error, or a problem with the handlebar (don't know
    >what that would be). Any advice on how to fix this would be
    >appreciated -- if I need a new stem, recommendations would
    >be good. I like the 0-rise so that the stem is parallel to
    >the road.
    >
    >Thanks!
    >
    >Eric Lambi [email protected]

    I seem to recall 3T advising sanding the stem and clamp area
    of the bar. Also using no grease. Maybe it's in the manual
    that came with your stem? Anyway, worked for me.

  3. dianne_1234 wrote:

    > I seem to recall 3T advising sanding the stem and clamp
    > area of the bar. Also using no grease. Maybe it's in the
    > manual that came with your stem? Anyway, worked for me.

    I'm using a Forgie with a Prima handlebar (I'm not sure it's
    a 199), with grease and without sanding. No problems so far.
    Maybe my handlebar is different from yours.

  4. Almost Fast

    Almost Fast Guest

    "frenkatfrenk-do-t_ c0m-p" <"frenkatfrenk-do-t_ c0m-p"@rse-this-if-you.can> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > dianne_1234 wrote:
    > >

    > > I seem to recall 3T advising sanding the stem and
    > > clamp area of the bar. Also using no grease. Maybe
    > > it's in the manual that came with your stem? Anyway,
    > > worked for me.
    >
    > I'm using a Forgie with a Prima handlebar (I'm not sure
    > it's a 199), with grease and without sanding. No problems
    > so far. Maybe my handlebar is different from yours.

    Apparently 3T still recommend it. From
    http://www.3ttt.com/PDF/3tt_Ing.PDF

    (In translation, the "collar" appears to be the stem's
    handle bar clamp. "Clamp" sounds like the stem's steerer
    tube clamp.)

    "Apply sand paper (av. grain # 100) to remove any rust
    inside the collar (smooth off any rough edges). This will
    make the surface a little rough and help the parts to adhere
    to each other during locking. If the stem is painted, apply
    sand paper also inside the clamp (E).

    If you have a compressed air blower, lightly apply it on all
    the threaded holes to clean them perfectly.

    Place the bar inside the head collar, without scratching its
    surface; apply the front piece and tighten the screws,
    slightly."

    ...etc.