TTT

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Inconnu, Jul 9, 2003.

  1. Inconnu

    Inconnu Guest

    If the Posties are leading the TTT in the final klick, will Johan order Victor to take 6th position,
    5 seconds or so behind the number 5 man?

    Tags:

  2. Jc6239

    Jc6239 Guest

    > If the Posties are leading the TTT in the final klick, will Johan order
    Victor to take 6th position, 5 seconds or so behind the number 5 man?<

    Not a chance. Why in gods name would he want Lance in Yellow (and the need to defend it) before the
    mountains?

  3. David Ryan

    David Ryan Guest

    jc6239 wrote:

    > > If the Posties are leading the TTT in the final klick, will Johan order
    > Victor to take 6th position, 5 seconds or so behind the number 5 man?<
    >
    > Not a chance. Why in gods name would he want Lance in Yellow (and the need to defend it) before
    > the mountains?

    You don't think they will lift a finger to defend Peña's jersey? They won't kill themselves but it's
    not all about Lance.

  4. Inconnu

    Inconnu Guest

    On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 13:45:28 +0000, jc6239 wrote:

    >> If the Posties are leading the TTT in the final klick, will Johan order
    > Victor to take 6th position, 5 seconds or so behind the number 5 man?<
    >

    > Not a chance. Why in gods name would he want Lance in Yellow (and the need to defend it) before
    > the mountains?

    Hm, actually I just asked to see what sorta responses I got.

    But reports coming in from europe seem to indicate that the Posties did not start exceptionally well

  5. "David Ryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > jc6239 wrote:
    > >
    > > > If the Posties are leading the TTT in the final klick, will Johan
    order
    > > Victor to take 6th position, 5 seconds or so behind the number 5 man?<
    > >
    > > Not a chance. Why in gods name would he want Lance in Yellow (and the
    need
    > > to defend it) before the mountains?
    >
    > You don't think they will lift a finger to defend Peña's jersey?

    At best, they'll pretend.

    Remember when Bruyneel played chicken w/ Telekom the year Kivilev and company gained 35 minutes?

  6. "inconnu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected].net.c able.rogers.com...
    > On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 13:45:28 +0000, jc6239 wrote:
    >
    > >> If the Posties are leading the TTT in the final klick, will Johan order
    > > Victor to take 6th position, 5 seconds or so behind the number 5 man?<
    > >

    > > Not a chance. Why in gods name would he want Lance in Yellow (and the
    need
    > > to defend it) before the mountains?
    >
    > Hm, actually I just asked to see what sorta responses I got.
    >
    > But reports coming in from europe seem to indicate that the Posties did not start
    > exceptionally well

    They're in 2nd by 6 seconds at the 44k time check, to ONCE.

    ONCE needs to win by at least 3 seconds to put Beloki in yellow.

  7. > But reports coming in from europe seem to indicate that the Posties did not start
    > exceptionally well

    They didn't. They did what they needed to do--finish well. Very well.

  8. Bobb Head

    Bobb Head Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    David Ryan <[email protected]> wrote:

    > jc6239 wrote:
    > >
    > > > If the Posties are leading the TTT in the final klick, will Johan order
    > > Victor to take 6th position, 5 seconds or so behind the number 5 man?<
    > >
    > > Not a chance. Why in gods name would he want Lance in Yellow (and the need to defend it) before
    > > the mountains?
    >
    > You don't think they will lift a finger to defend Peña's jersey? They won't kill themselves but
    > it's not all about Lance.

    Here's what I want to know...

    Will Johan encourage Ekimov and Hincapie, both just 5 seconds behind, to finish an intermediate
    sprint 1-2 in tomorrow, and reverse those results the next day? That would honor the spirit of
    teamwork by sharing the yellow jersey without placing Lance in the crosshairs. Focusing on, say, the
    first sprint would leave two sprints and the race finish for green jersey contenders, but it would
    mean containing early breakaways.

    -- Bobb

  9. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    I am guessing that they will discuss their options tonight and decide to keep the jersey within the
    team from this point on. Sending George up the road to consume and accumulate points makes sense.

    On the other hand, I am sure that defending the jersey at any cost is not yet the order of the day.
    It will be soon though.

    "Bobb Head" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]om>,
    > David Ryan <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > > Victor to take 6th position, 5 seconds or so behind the number 5
    man?<

    > > > Not a chance. Why in gods name would he want Lance in Yellow (and the
    need
    > > > to defend it) before the mountains?
    > >
    > > You don't think they will lift a finger to defend Peña's jersey? They won't kill themselves but
    > > it's not all about Lance.
    >
    > Here's what I want to know...
    >
    > Will Johan encourage Ekimov and Hincapie, both just 5 seconds behind, to finish an intermediate
    > sprint 1-2 in tomorrow, and reverse those results the next day? That would honor the spirit of
    > teamwork by sharing the yellow jersey without placing Lance in the crosshairs. Focusing on, say,
    > the first sprint would leave two sprints and the race finish for green jersey contenders, but it
    > would mean containing early breakaways.
    >
    > -- Bobb

  10. It might be nice to see Hincapie in an "HD" Maillot Jaune, think he paid his dues more than
    once. -tom

  11. On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 09:50:24 -0700, "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >It might be nice to see Hincapie in an "HD" Maillot Jaune, think he paid his dues more than
    >once. -tom
    >
    >"Bobb Head" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> In article <[email protected]>,
    >> David Ryan <[email protected]> wrote:

    >order
    >man?<

    >need
    >> >
    >> > You don't think they will lift a finger to defend Peña's jersey? They won't kill themselves but
    >> > it's not all about Lance.
    >>
    >> Here's what I want to know...
    >>
    >> Will Johan encourage Ekimov and Hincapie, both just 5 seconds behind, to finish an intermediate
    >> sprint 1-2 in tomorrow, and reverse those results the next day? That would honor the spirit of
    >> teamwork by sharing the yellow jersey without placing Lance in the crosshairs. Focusing on, say,
    >> the first sprint would leave two sprints and the race finish for green jersey contenders, but it
    >> would mean containing early breakaways.
    >>
    >> -- Bobb

    The point of the TTT was to show they are strongest team and to gain what time they could on the
    other GC contestants. The interesting difference this year is that the mountains come so early and
    rather than orchestrate a "minions" break over the next couple of days USP might want to hold the
    jersey from now to the end. If so they'll employ a K.I.S.S. approach and won't be sharing it around.

    Regards! Stephen

  12. Yea, well I was thinking of the sprint bonus points; -6, -4, -2 secs. for 1st, 2nd & 3rd. Send
    Hincapie with the breakaways, keep Ekimov with the team. -tom

    "Steve McGinty" <[email protected]_DOT_.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 09:50:24 -0700, "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >It might be nice to see Hincapie in an "HD" Maillot Jaune, think he paid
    his
    > >dues more than once. -tom
    > >
    > >"Bobb Head" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]...

    > >order
    > >man?<

    > >need

    > >> Here's what I want to know...
    > >>
    > >> Will Johan encourage Ekimov and Hincapie, both just 5 seconds behind,
    > >> finish an intermediate sprint 1-2 in tomorrow, and reverse those
    results
    > >> the next day? That would honor the spirit of teamwork by sharing the yellow jersey without
    > >> placing Lance in the crosshairs. Focusing on, say, the first sprint would leave two sprints and
    > >> the race finish for green jersey contenders, but it would mean containing early breakaways.
    > >>
    > >> -- Bobb
    > >
    > The point of the TTT was to show they are strongest team and to gain what time they could on the
    > other GC contestants. The interesting difference this year is that the mountains come so early
    > and rather than orchestrate a "minions" break over the next couple of days USP might want to
    > hold the jersey from now to the end. If so they'll employ a K.I.S.S. approach and won't be
    > sharing it around.
    >
    > Regards! Stephen

  13. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Bobb Head wrote:

    > Here's what I want to know...
    >
    > Will Johan encourage Ekimov and Hincapie, both just 5 seconds behind, to finish an intermediate
    > sprint 1-2 in tomorrow, and reverse those results the next day? That would honor the spirit of
    > teamwork by sharing the yellow jersey without placing Lance in the crosshairs. Focusing on, say,
    > the first sprint would leave two sprints and the race finish for green jersey contenders, but it
    > would mean containing early breakaways.
    >
    > -- Bobb

    Can either of them expect to win those sprints? Not from what I know.

  14. who says you have to win those sprints? finishing 3rd in three will do it, and finishing 3rd in two
    might be enough, providing Pena loses -1 sec. Lance and George in yellow? -tom

  15. Bobb Head wrote:

    > Will Johan encourage Ekimov and Hincapie, both just 5 seconds behind, to finish an intermediate
    > sprint 1-2 in tomorrow, and reverse those results the next day? That would honor the spirit of
    > teamwork by sharing the

    No.

  16. On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 12:37:27 -0700, "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Yea, well I was thinking of the sprint bonus points; -6, -4, -2 secs. for 1st, 2nd & 3rd. Send
    >Hincapie with the breakaways, keep Ekimov with the team. -tom

    It won't happen - they'll work for Pena.

    Regards! Stephen

  17. Tom Nakashima wrote:
    > Yea, well I was thinking of the sprint bonus points; -6, -4, -2 secs. for 1st, 2nd & 3rd. Send
    > Hincapie with the breakaways, keep Ekimov with the team.

    Then McEwen's and Zabel's teams would chase immediately. You'd end up with a stage where there was
    no long breakaway, more frequent attacks and a situation that would be HARDER for USPS to control.