TTT

Inconnu

Guest
If the Posties are leading the TTT in the final klick, will Johan order Victor to take 6th position,
5 seconds or so behind the number 5 man?

> If the Posties are leading the TTT in the final klick, will Johan order
Victor to take 6th position, 5 seconds or so behind the number 5 man?<

Not a chance. Why in gods name would he want Lance in Yellow (and the need to defend it) before the
mountains?

jc6239 wrote:

> > If the Posties are leading the TTT in the final klick, will Johan order
> Victor to take 6th position, 5 seconds or so behind the number 5 man?<
>
> Not a chance. Why in gods name would he want Lance in Yellow (and the need to defend it) before
> the mountains?

You don't think they will lift a finger to defend Peña's jersey? They won't kill themselves but it's
not all about Lance.

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 13:45:28 +0000, jc6239 wrote:

>> If the Posties are leading the TTT in the final klick, will Johan order
> Victor to take 6th position, 5 seconds or so behind the number 5 man?<
>

> Not a chance. Why in gods name would he want Lance in Yellow (and the need to defend it) before
> the mountains?

Hm, actually I just asked to see what sorta responses I got.

But reports coming in from europe seem to indicate that the Posties did not start exceptionally well

"David Ryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> jc6239 wrote:
> >
> > > If the Posties are leading the TTT in the final klick, will Johan
order
> > Victor to take 6th position, 5 seconds or so behind the number 5 man?<
> >
> > Not a chance. Why in gods name would he want Lance in Yellow (and the
need
> > to defend it) before the mountains?
>
> You don't think they will lift a finger to defend Peña's jersey?

At best, they'll pretend.

Remember when Bruyneel played chicken w/ Telekom the year Kivilev and company gained 35 minutes?

"inconnu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:pan.2003.07.09.14.19.09.970610@cpe0050da66e294-cm0f2069983361.cpe.net.c able.rogers.com...
> On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 13:45:28 +0000, jc6239 wrote:
>
> >> If the Posties are leading the TTT in the final klick, will Johan order
> > Victor to take 6th position, 5 seconds or so behind the number 5 man?<
> >

> > Not a chance. Why in gods name would he want Lance in Yellow (and the
need
> > to defend it) before the mountains?
>
> Hm, actually I just asked to see what sorta responses I got.
>
> But reports coming in from europe seem to indicate that the Posties did not start
> exceptionally well

They're in 2nd by 6 seconds at the 44k time check, to ONCE.

ONCE needs to win by at least 3 seconds to put Beloki in yellow.

> But reports coming in from europe seem to indicate that the Posties did not start
> exceptionally well

They didn't. They did what they needed to do--finish well. Very well.

In article <[email protected]>,
David Ryan <[email protected]> wrote:

> jc6239 wrote:
> >
> > > If the Posties are leading the TTT in the final klick, will Johan order
> > Victor to take 6th position, 5 seconds or so behind the number 5 man?<
> >
> > Not a chance. Why in gods name would he want Lance in Yellow (and the need to defend it) before
> > the mountains?
>
> You don't think they will lift a finger to defend Peña's jersey? They won't kill themselves but
> it's not all about Lance.

Here's what I want to know...

Will Johan encourage Ekimov and Hincapie, both just 5 seconds behind, to finish an intermediate
sprint 1-2 in tomorrow, and reverse those results the next day? That would honor the spirit of
teamwork by sharing the yellow jersey without placing Lance in the crosshairs. Focusing on, say, the
first sprint would leave two sprints and the race finish for green jersey contenders, but it would
mean containing early breakaways.

-- Bobb

I am guessing that they will discuss their options tonight and decide to keep the jersey within the
team from this point on. Sending George up the road to consume and accumulate points makes sense.

On the other hand, I am sure that defending the jersey at any cost is not yet the order of the day.
It will be soon though.

"Bobb Head" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> David Ryan <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Victor to take 6th position, 5 seconds or so behind the number 5
man?<

> > > Not a chance. Why in gods name would he want Lance in Yellow (and the
need
> > > to defend it) before the mountains?
> >
> > You don't think they will lift a finger to defend Peña's jersey? They won't kill themselves but
> > it's not all about Lance.
>
> Here's what I want to know...
>
> Will Johan encourage Ekimov and Hincapie, both just 5 seconds behind, to finish an intermediate
> sprint 1-2 in tomorrow, and reverse those results the next day? That would honor the spirit of
> teamwork by sharing the yellow jersey without placing Lance in the crosshairs. Focusing on, say,
> the first sprint would leave two sprints and the race finish for green jersey contenders, but it
> would mean containing early breakaways.
>
> -- Bobb

It might be nice to see Hincapie in an "HD" Maillot Jaune, think he paid his dues more than
once. -tom

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 09:50:24 -0700, "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote:

>It might be nice to see Hincapie in an "HD" Maillot Jaune, think he paid his dues more than
>once. -tom
>
>"Bobb Head" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> David Ryan <[email protected]> wrote:

>order
>man?<

>need
>> >
>> > You don't think they will lift a finger to defend Peña's jersey? They won't kill themselves but
>> > it's not all about Lance.
>>
>> Here's what I want to know...
>>
>> Will Johan encourage Ekimov and Hincapie, both just 5 seconds behind, to finish an intermediate
>> sprint 1-2 in tomorrow, and reverse those results the next day? That would honor the spirit of
>> teamwork by sharing the yellow jersey without placing Lance in the crosshairs. Focusing on, say,
>> the first sprint would leave two sprints and the race finish for green jersey contenders, but it
>> would mean containing early breakaways.
>>
>> -- Bobb

The point of the TTT was to show they are strongest team and to gain what time they could on the
other GC contestants. The interesting difference this year is that the mountains come so early and
rather than orchestrate a "minions" break over the next couple of days USP might want to hold the
jersey from now to the end. If so they'll employ a K.I.S.S. approach and won't be sharing it around.

Regards! Stephen

Yea, well I was thinking of the sprint bonus points; -6, -4, -2 secs. for 1st, 2nd & 3rd. Send
Hincapie with the breakaways, keep Ekimov with the team. -tom

news:[email protected]...

Bobb Head wrote:

> Here's what I want to know...
>
> Will Johan encourage Ekimov and Hincapie, both just 5 seconds behind, to finish an intermediate
> sprint 1-2 in tomorrow, and reverse those results the next day? That would honor the spirit of
> teamwork by sharing the yellow jersey without placing Lance in the crosshairs. Focusing on, say,
> the first sprint would leave two sprints and the race finish for green jersey contenders, but it
> would mean containing early breakaways.
>
> -- Bobb

Can either of them expect to win those sprints? Not from what I know.

who says you have to win those sprints? finishing 3rd in three will do it, and finishing 3rd in two
might be enough, providing Pena loses -1 sec. Lance and George in yellow? -tom

Bobb Head wrote:

> Will Johan encourage Ekimov and Hincapie, both just 5 seconds behind, to finish an intermediate
> sprint 1-2 in tomorrow, and reverse those results the next day? That would honor the spirit of
> teamwork by sharing the

No.

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 12:37:27 -0700, "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Yea, well I was thinking of the sprint bonus points; -6, -4, -2 secs. for 1st, 2nd & 3rd. Send
>Hincapie with the breakaways, keep Ekimov with the team. -tom

It won't happen - they'll work for Pena.

Regards! Stephen

Tom Nakashima wrote:
> Yea, well I was thinking of the sprint bonus points; -6, -4, -2 secs. for 1st, 2nd & 3rd. Send
> Hincapie with the breakaways, keep Ekimov with the team.

Then McEwen's and Zabel's teams would chase immediately. You'd end up with a stage where there was
no long breakaway, more frequent attacks and a situation that would be HARDER for USPS to control.