Tub Tape or Glue

David Hart

Guest
I've just built a set of wheels using CXP30 sprint rims and will be using tubs for the 1st time. I'm
not sure whether it is better to glue or tape the tubs on. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks Dave

Fiberglass or porcelain tubs? It does make a difference.

"David Hart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I've just built a set of wheels using CXP30 sprint rims and will be using tubs for the 1st time.
> I'm not sure whether it is better to glue or tape
the
> tubs on. Any advice would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks Dave

<< I've just built a set of wheels using CXP30 sprint rims and will be using tubs for the 1st time.
I'm not sure whether it is better to glue or tape the tubs on. Any advice would be much
appreciated. >>

Use this technique for the strongest bond. The best adhesives are Vittoria Mastik One and
Continental rim cement. Clean the rims with lacquer thinner or acetone. Apply a thin coat of cement
to the rim. Make sure you spread it all the way to the edges. Apply a coat of cement to the entire
base tape of the tire. Allow both to dry overnight. Apply another thin coat to the rim. Allow to dry
overnight. Apply a third thin coat to the rim and stretch the tire on. Partially inflate the tire
and manipulate it until straight. Inflate to 7 bar and allow to dry overnight. Subsequent gluings
using same rims can be accomplished with one new coat of cement over the residual glue. You can
clean up any errant glue on the rim sidewalls or hand with lacquer thinner. Wear disposable surgical
gloves when handling rim cement and solvents.

> I'm not sure whether it is better to glue or tape the tubs on. Any advice would be much
> appreciated.

If you use the Tufo tape, don't plan on EVER getting your tires off the rim. I have some track
wheels that got crashed on their first ride. I glued with Tufo tape and the only way to get the
tires off at this point is to cut them...sad... T

"Mike Krueger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> << I've just built a set of wheels using CXP30 sprint rims and will be
using
> tubs for the 1st time. I'm not sure whether it is better to glue or tape
the
> tubs on. Any advice would be much appreciated. >>
>
> Use this technique for the strongest bond. The best adhesives are Vittoria Mastik One and
> Continental rim cement. Clean the rims with lacquer
thinner or
> acetone. Apply a thin coat of cement to the rim. Make sure you spread it
all
> the way to the edges. Apply a coat of cement to the entire base tape of
the
> tire. Allow both to dry overnight. Apply another thin coat to the rim.
Allow to
> dry overnight. Apply a third thin coat to the rim and stretch the tire on. Partially inflate the
> tire and manipulate it until straight. Inflate to 7
bar
> and allow to dry overnight. Subsequent gluings using same rims can be accomplished with one
> new coat
of
> cement over the residual glue. You can clean up any errant glue on the rim sidewalls or hand with
> lacquer thinner. Wear disposable surgical gloves when handling rim cement and
solvents.

I'll second this and add that you can do the same thing with 3M Fastack. A big ole tube of Fastack
is going to last a long time and run you about $6 at your local NAPA store.

Mike

Mike S. <mikeshaw2@coxdotnet> writes:

>> Partially inflate the tire and manipulate it until straight. Inflate to 7 bar and allow to dry
>> overnight. Subsequent gluings using same rims can be accomplished with one new coat of cement
>> over the residual glue. You can clean up any errant glue on the rim sidewalls or hand with
>> lacquer thinner. Wear disposable surgical gloves when handling rim cement and > solvents.

So complicated! This is not heart surgery, only glue application.

> I'll second this and add that you can do the same thing with 3M Fastack. A big ole tube of Fastack
> is going to last a long time and run you about $6 at your local NAPA store.

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8b.28.html

dave-<< I've just built a set of wheels using CXP30 sprint rims and will be using tubs for the 1st
time. I'm not sure whether it is better to glue or tape the tubs on.

Glue, glue, glue-never tape-