Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Tub Tape Vs Glue

Started by Rochefan · · Last activity · 3 posts · 1,537 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
29 January 2007
Last activity
31 January 2007
Original author
Rochefan
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,537
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. [font=Times New Roman]Just got a pair of Zipp 404’s and have to fit tubulars. I have used Tub Tape before on aluminium rims in the past and was very happy with them. Putting on the tape is easy and I never had a tire run off. I have never used glue to stick tubs on and was wondering what ye would recommend using, tub tape or glue? My preference is the tape but I know all the pros use glue and there must be a reason for that. [/font]

    • [font=Times New Roman]Is there a performance difference between tape and glue?[/font]
    • [font=Times New Roman]Has anyone ever had a bad experience with tub tape?[/font]
    • [font=Times New Roman]Do you need special glue/tub tape for carbon?[/font]
    • [font=Times New Roman]I use acetone or ethyl acetate (I work in a chemical plant) to remove remains of the old tub tape from the aluminium rim, could any of these damage the carbon? What do ye use for removing the old glue/tub tape? [/font]

    [font=Times New Roman] [/font]

  2. I have been using tub tape for years without any problems including puncturing at speed. No tyre roll on either front or rear wheel. On carbon rims I have just lightly roughened the surface with some sand paper as it gives a bit of grip. Glue will work better for the pros as I think it holds better if the rim gets hot on long descents. It does still roll given the right conditions ie cornering at speed. I seem to remember Rudy Dhanens coming a cropper in this fashion. Glue for me is just too messy, and it takes much longer to apply.

  3. mark higgins said:

    I have been using tub tape for years without any problems including puncturing at speed. No tyre roll on either front or rear wheel.

    Tape all the way - Used glue on some tyres cos I couldn't get hold of tape soon enough - never ever again. 😠

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.