Tub Tape Vs Glue

Rochefan

Aug 16, 2005
Just got a pair of Zipp 404’s and have to fit tubulars. I have used Tub Tape before on aluminium rims in the past and was very happy with them. Putting on the tape is easy and I never had a tire run off. I have never used glue to stick tubs on and was wondering what ye would recommend using, tub tape or glue? My preference is the tape but I know all the pros use glue and there must be a reason for that.

• Is there a performance difference between tape and glue?
  • Has anyone ever had a bad experience with tub tape?
  • Do you need special glue/tub tape for carbon?
  • I use acetone or ethyl acetate (I work in a chemical plant) to remove remains of the old tub tape from the aluminium rim, could any of these damage the carbon? What do ye use for removing the old glue/tub tape?

I have been using tub tape for years without any problems including puncturing at speed. No tyre roll on either front or rear wheel. On carbon rims I have just lightly roughened the surface with some sand paper as it gives a bit of grip. Glue will work better for the pros as I think it holds better if the rim gets hot on long descents. It does still roll given the right conditions ie cornering at speed. I seem to remember Rudy Dhanens coming a cropper in this fashion. Glue for me is just too messy, and it takes much longer to apply.

mark higgins said:
I have been using tub tape for years without any problems including puncturing at speed. No tyre roll on either front or rear wheel.
Tape all the way - Used glue on some tyres cos I couldn't get hold of tape soon enough - never ever again. :mad: