tube keeps deflating slowly

cldpsu

Nov 2, 2003
anyone ever experience this? im like 10 miles into my ride and notice that my tube probably deflated 40 psi. Not sure how to approach this... maybe my tube cant handle 120 psi? but it has before... thanks for any feedback

cldpsu said:
anyone ever experience this? im like 10 miles into my ride and notice that my tube probably deflated 40 psi. Not sure how to approach this... maybe my tube cant handle 120 psi? but it has before... thanks for any feedback
Could be a very small puncture or a bent valve cap.

Sounds like you need the old water test. Fill a bucket with water, pump up the tube, submerge the tube bit by bit and see if you get any air bubbles.

I agree that it sounds like a very small puncture or a problem with your valve.

MediaCreations said:
Sounds like you need the old water test. Fill a bucket with water, pump up the tube, submerge the tube bit by bit and see if you get any air bubbles.

I agree that it sounds like a very small puncture or a problem with your valve.

it has happened with the past 3 tubes though.. so im guessing im installing it wrong? or perhaps something on the rim or tire is killing my tube(s)

You need to use the water method to find where they're getting punctured. I would suggest that it's the inside of the rim.

What rim tape are you using? If it's the thin rubber stuff that comes with a lot of rims it's next to useless. You need to replace it with some good cloth tape.

Inspect your tyre. There could be a small piece of glass embedded there which might be causing the slow deflation of all your tubes.