Tube patching

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Chere, May 26, 2003.

  1. Chere

    Chere Guest

    I did my first tube patching job today. I left a little air in the tube and when I let the air out,
    it was a little pouchy but a good seal. I'm deducting from this that the tube should have been flat
    when the patch went on. Correct? Will this interfer with the integrity of the tube? Should I chuck
    it and buy a new one or can I keep this one in the bag for emergency use? Thanks,
    --
    Chere ~ GRR Sanibel, FL / Cumberland, MD

    Tags:

  2. Brian Hughes

    Brian Hughes Guest

    It sounds to me like you've done it correctly. I've patched many tubes and I never bother squeezing
    out every bit of air when fixing them. In fact I try to leave just a little in them so the tube is
    the same relative size as it is when in the tire. I don't over-inflate when patching, but I do
    over-inflate to find the hole(s) at first, then bleed out most of the air.

    Concerning patches in tubes. For what it's worth, I have 4 bikes (2 bents 2 uprights). Of these 8
    tires, not one single tube doesn't have a repair patch in it. In fact, most have 2 or more (I think
    the worst one has 6 or
    7). I live in goat head country so I would have to buy new tubes all the time if I want them all to
    be "patchless". But I've found a patched tube works every bit as well as a new tube if patched
    correctly. No integrity concern at all.

    Brian Tailwind/V-Rex

    "chere" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I did my first tube patching job today. I left a little air in the tube and when I let the air
    > out, it was a little pouchy but a good seal. I'm deducting from this that the tube should have
    > been flat when the patch went on. Correct? Will this interfer with the integrity of the tube?
    > Should I chuck it and buy a new one or can I keep this one in the bag for emergency use? Thanks,
    > --
    > Chere ~ GRR Sanibel, FL / Cumberland, MD

  3. Brian Hughes

    Brian Hughes Guest

    It sounds to me like you've done it correctly. I've patched many tubes and I never bother squeezing
    out every bit of air when fixing them. In fact I try to leave just a little in them so the tube is
    the same relative size as it is when in the tire. I don't over-inflate when patching, but I do
    over-inflate to find the hole(s) at first, then bleed out most of the air.

    Concerning patches in tubes. For what it's worth, I have 4 bikes (2 bents 2 uprights). Of these 8
    tires, not one single tube doesn't have a repair patch in it. In fact, most have 2 or more (I think
    the worst one has 6 or
    7). I live in goat head country so I would have to buy new tubes all the time if I want them all to
    be "patchless". But I've found a patched tube works every bit as well as a new tube if patched
    correctly. No integrity concern at all.

    Brian Tailwind/V-Rex

    "chere" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I did my first tube patching job today. I left a little air in the tube and when I let the air
    > out, it was a little pouchy but a good seal. I'm deducting from this that the tube should have
    > been flat when the patch went on. Correct? Will this interfer with the integrity of the tube?
    > Should I chuck it and buy a new one or can I keep this one in the bag for emergency use? Thanks,
    > --
    > Chere ~ GRR Sanibel, FL / Cumberland, MD

  4. Chere

    Chere Guest

    "goat head country" - now there's a new one... I'm dying to know what "goat head" is and why it
    causees flats
    :)

    Glad to hear a patch job will serve well as either the working tube or the spare standby.

    --
    Chere ~ GRR Sanibel, FL / Cumberland, MD

  5. Chere, I used to throw tubes away or use them for bungy cords if they had flatted, but with the nice
    thin patching kits I've found the patch to work fine, especially on 1.25 inch and larger tubes. I
    usually put about 10 pounds of air in the patched tube and let it set overnight. Right now the Giro
    has no patched tubes, but all my spare tubes are patched and I've ridden many miles on patched
    tubes. I carry my spare tubes in a ziplock bag, it helps protect the tube in the bike bag from
    chaffing. A little talcum powder tossed in keeps them slippery for replacement. When the patch is
    done correctly it's basically bonded to the tube. Denny in Sayre, PA "Bent but not Broken
    www.recumbentstuff.com "brian hughes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It sounds to me like you've done it correctly. I've patched many tubes >
    Brian
    > Tailwind/V-Rex
    >

    > "chere" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I did my first tube patching job today. I left a little air in the tube and when I let the air
    > > out, it was a little pouchy but a good seal. I'm deducting from this that the tube should have
    > > been flat when the patch went on. Correct? Will this interfer with the integrity of the tube?
    > > Should I chuck it and buy a new one or can I keep this one in the bag for emergency use? Thanks,
    > > --
    > > Chere ~ GRR Sanibel, FL / Cumberland, MD

  6. Chere

    Chere Guest

    Thanks Denny That makes sense... I'm heading for the talc and baggie right now.

    --
    Chere ~ GRR Sanibel, FL / Cumberland, MD

  7. Brian Hughes

    Brian Hughes Guest

    Goat-head thorns--found out in the US Southwest. They're ruthless tough thorns that have barbs
    sticking out at angles such that no matter how they fall on the ground, there will be a long sharp
    barb sticking straight up ready to puncture your tire. They can and will puncture any tire no matter
    how you try to flat-proof them--I use kevlar belt tires, tube liners, thorn-proof tubes, slime, etc
    and still get flats from those G** D*** Goat-heads.

    Brian Tailwind/V-Rex

    "chere" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "goat head country" - now there's a new one... I'm dying to know what "goat head" is and why it
    > causees flats
    > :)
    >
    > Glad to hear a patch job will serve well as either the working tube or the spare standby.
    >
    > --
    > Chere ~ GRR Sanibel, FL / Cumberland, MD

  8. Geob

    Geob Guest

    > "goat head country" - now there's a new one... I'm dying to know what "goat head" is and why it
    > causees flats

    Don't they have goat heads in FL? These are nasty lil sticker/burr thingees. Goats have curved
    horns, these have two straight 'horns' sticking out of the bur in such a way as to look for all the
    world like a lil goat head. 1/4 - 1/2 inch from chin to end of 'horns'. If you step on one of these
    barefoot, and send those spikes all the way in it kinda gets your attention. The 'horn' (thorn,
    spike) tapers from base to point yielding a structure that maintains its integrity throughout many
    'insertions'. So if the dog brings one in on to a hard floor and you are padding about blurry-eyed
    getting the mornings 1st cup... well, you see where I'm going.

    This is one of the critters that has increased its range due to mankind. Sorta like the Russian
    Thistle (tumble weed), Black Widows, White Tailed Kites (bird of prey). The bicycle and automobile
    tire spreads these lil monsters everywhere across the country. I am surprised they aren't where you
    are. They are in TX, CA, etc. Maybe we should take a poll, see where they are.

    Consider yourself blessed by not knowing about them.

  9. Chere

    Chere Guest

    Hmmmmm.... could be they're the things my kids (after stepping on them in bare feet) named
    "Fu*kleberries".

    We probably have Goat Heads in FL... seems like a lot of the vegetation there either has a thorn
    or a burr on it. I'm not too familiar with FL plants - gave up gardening there after discovering
    FIRE ANTS.

    --
    Chere ~ GRR Sanibel, FL / Cumberland, MD