Tube popped out side of clincher?

lawyering

Aug 11, 2003
I finally got a good pump and put proper pressure in my tires (100psi +/-). About 10 miles out the tube (on the rear wheel) protruded out between the rim and the tire near the valve. (I detected it quickly, deflated and reinserted the tube and was on my way with lower pressure in short order).

The tires have seen some use.

I suspect the tires may be stretched or thinning along or near where they "clinch" and may need replacing.

Is this a good assumption or should I be concerned about something else?

I've had tubes "pop-out" of the tire a couple of times when I didn't have the bead seated properly in the rim. Try it again with the new pump and make sure that the bead is seated properly. Keep an eye on the area near the valve where the tire popped out the first time. If you see the tire start to pull-up from the rim while you're inflating it, stop and try to work the bead back down into the rim. Continue until you're up to the desired pressure.

I've never had a tire wear thin at the bead and refuse to seat on the rim FWIW.

I've had this happen once or twice. Make sure your rims aren't too wide for the tyres - I bought a bike with 28mm tyres and put kevlar-beaded (i.e. not as pronounced as wire) 23mm tyres on it and they didn't want to stay on.

Also, when putting the tubes in the tyres, liberally dusting the whole surface of the tube and the inside of the tyre with talcum powder helps to reduce friction between the rubber surfaces - this helps the tube to seat properly inside the tyre, which should reduce the chance of the tyre popping off the rim when you pump it up.

When pumping the tyre, pump to around 30 psi and then hold the hub and spin the wheel while looking at the tyre - this will show up any irregularities. If it's OK at this stage, you're probably clear to whack it all the way up to 100 and ride it.

Originally posted by lawyering
I finally got a good pump and put proper pressure in my tires (100psi +/-). About 10 miles out the tube (on the rear wheel) protruded out between the rim and the tire near the valve. (I detected it quickly, deflated and reinserted the tube and was on my way with lower pressure in short order).

The tires have seen some use.

I suspect the tires may be stretched or thinning along or near where they "clinch" and may need replacing.

Is this a good assumption or should I be concerned about something else?
Bad assumption. Poor technique in mounting, or the off chance you have some old 27" rims that do not have a proper hook on the rim and you overinflated them.

It could also be that the valve wasn't seated all the way past the bead. Inflate the tire 20 or 30 pounds, then push the valve in as far as you can so it's past the bead. If it's not in place, this will put it there. It's very obvious once you try this.