Tube size for 26x1.3 tyre

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by DaveB, Apr 29, 2006.

  1. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    I needed a couple of new tubes for the commuter (why is this the only
    bike I keep tearing tubes at the valve??) which is running 26x1.3 tyres.
    I had 1.25/1.5 tubes in it previously but the young guy at the LBS who
    didn't exactly fill me with confidence claimed there would be no problem
    running 1.5/1.75 tubes. Considering I needed a spare for the commute I
    didn't have much choice but to buy it. But now I'm wondering if using it
    is going to work out ok. Any thoughts?

    DaveB

    Tags:

  2. Adam F

    Adam F Guest

    "DaveB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I needed a couple of new tubes for the commuter (why is this the only bike
    >I keep tearing tubes at the valve??) which is running 26x1.3 tyres. I had
    >1.25/1.5 tubes in it previously but the young guy at the LBS who didn't
    >exactly fill me with confidence claimed there would be no problem running
    >1.5/1.75 tubes. Considering I needed a spare for the commute I didn't have
    >much choice but to buy it. But now I'm wondering if using it is going to
    >work out ok. Any thoughts?
    >
    > DaveB

    Well I managed to squeeze a 2.125in tube into a 1.5in commuter tyre on my
    mtb last weekend - was a bit tight but seems to be working fine! Not
    something to stress over I'd say.

    //Adam F

  3. SomeGuy

    SomeGuy New Member

    Joined:
    May 18, 2004
    They will most likely be fine. They should still fit inside the tyre, and as long as you don't pinch the tube you'll just end up with a thicker tube than normal.

    Not optimal, but good enough.

  4. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    DaveB wrote:

    > I needed a couple of new tubes for the commuter (why is this the only
    > bike I keep tearing tubes at the valve??) which is running 26x1.3 tyres.

    <snip>

    Because it's the only bike where the rim tape doesn't go around the edge
    of the hole properly?

    Quick fix - next time you rip off the valve stem, use the old tube to
    cut a tight circular eyelet to slip over the valve stem of the new tube.
    This will get shredded instead of your new tube.

    It's dodgy, but it saves going to a shop to buy rim tape.

    Tam

  5. geoffs

    geoffs New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2003
    Avoid doing this if you can as it's a real PITH getting the tube to fit. I find it a battle to avoid pinching the tube. The young guy at the LBS is to lazy to order the correct size in for you or keep them in stock. Try another bike shop. I can't remember the brand I am using at the moment but they are the right size which makes life much easier. I am using 1.25" Soma tires on DeepV 26" rims so I need the long presta as well. They are out there.

    Cheers

    Geoff

  6. scotty72

    scotty72 New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2005
    I use Tioga 26.1.25.

    As with Geoff, I use 26" with deep V rims - so, I need long stems.

    Scotty

  7. In aus.bicycle on Wed, 3 May 2006 11:01:16 +1000
    geoffs <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Avoid doing this if you can as it's a real PITH getting the tube to
    > fit. I find it a battle to avoid pinching the tube. The young guy at
    > the LBS is to lazy to order the correct size in for you or keep them in
    > stock. Try another bike shop. I can't remember the brand I am using at

    I use 26" and 20" 1.25 tyres, most bike shops only have tubes for much
    wider tyres.

    If you are in Sydney, Cheeky Monkey near Central has tubes in those
    sizes.

    Zebee

  8. Plodder

    Plodder Guest

    --
    Frank
    [email protected]
    "scotty72" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > geoffs Wrote:
    > > Avoid doing this if you can as it's a real PITH getting the tube to fit.
    > > I find it a battle to avoid pinching the tube. The young guy at the LBS
    > > is to lazy to order the correct size in for you or keep them in stock.
    > > Try another bike shop. I can't remember the brand I am using at the
    > > moment but they are the right size which makes life much easier. I am
    > > using 1.25" Soma tires on DeepV 26" rims so I need the long presta as
    > > well. They are out there.
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > >
    > > GeoffI use Tioga 26.1.25.

    > As with Geoff, I use 26" with deep V rims - so, I need long stems.
    >
    > Scotty
    >

    > --
    > scotty72

    I've got a bike with Velocity Deep V rims and narrow slicks (various).
    Vredstein makes tubes ~1.25" with the long presta valve. I've been using
    them for a while. Worth hunting down.

    Cheers,

    Frank

  9. Random Data

    Random Data Guest

    On Wed, 03 May 2006 20:41:22 +0000, Zebee Johnstone wrote:

    > I use 26" and 20" 1.25 tyres, most bike shops only have tubes for much
    > wider tyres.

    I think CBD have narrow tubes as well, assuming they've restocked. I
    remember seeing some around that width and thinking they'd be a lot easier
    to get into 1.5" slicks.

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email protected]
    "Please do not ask us to provide anything illegal, since

  10. Random Data

    Random Data Guest

    On Wed, 03 May 2006 23:52:19 +1000, scotty72 wrote:

    > As with Geoff, I use 26" with deep V rims - so, I need long stems.

    One tip that's worked for me before - if you're stuck with only a standard
    length valve stem, try putting a presta/schraeder adapter on it. If you
    get the height just right you can fill the tube pretty well.

    Dodgy (hey, it's my middle name!), but better than walking. And we all
    have servo adapters don't we?

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email protected]
    That which does not kill me, make me stranger

  11. Friday

    Friday Guest

    Tamyka Bell wrote:
    > DaveB wrote:
    >
    >>I needed a couple of new tubes for the commuter (why is this the only
    >>bike I keep tearing tubes at the valve??) which is running 26x1.3 tyres.

    > <snip>
    >
    > Because it's the only bike where the rim tape doesn't go around the edge
    > of the hole properly?
    >
    > Quick fix - next time you rip off the valve stem, use the old tube to
    > cut a tight circular eyelet to slip over the valve stem of the new tube.
    > This will get shredded instead of your new tube.
    >
    > It's dodgy, but it saves going to a shop to buy rim tape.
    >
    > Tam

    Sometimes the valve hole has sharp edges where they haven't cleaned it
    up properly, put a bit of a chamfer on it and smooth it with fine sandpaper.

    Friday

  12. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-05-04, Random Data (aka Bruce)
    > Dodgy (hey, it's my middle name!), but better than walking. And we all
    > have servo adapters don't we?

    You really should sacrifice more goats to the SCSI bus if you are
    Random Dodgy Data.

    --
    TimC
    Ah, so many of life's little problems can be solved by head

  13. Random Data

    Random Data Guest

    On Thu, 04 May 2006 08:22:17 +0000, TimC wrote:

    > You really should sacrifice more goats to the SCSI bus if you are
    > Random Dodgy Data.

    Hey, I'm reading aus.bike. It's not like the data here is on topic!
    And anyway, SCSI is a thing of the past, for I have escaped from IT. At
    least until someone finds out what I *used* to do for a living. Sigh.

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email protected]
    If you call blowing things up experiments, there were a lot of

  14. Parbs

    Parbs Guest

    Random Data wrote:

    > for I have escaped from IT. At
    > least until someone finds out what I *used* to do for a living. Sigh.

    They always find out, then it's "Dave my printer is not working can you
    fix it?"

    Parbs

  15. Random Data

    Random Data Guest

    On Thu, 04 May 2006 11:13:54 +0000, Parbs wrote:

    > They always find out, then it's "Dave my printer is not working can you
    > fix it?"

    *That's* when you pull out the gaff and zip ties.

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email protected]
    "We live in the interface between radioactive molten rock and hard