Tube versus Tire

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Buckaroo, Feb 12, 2003.

  1. Buckaroo

    Buckaroo Guest

    My current tires are 700x28C and I use 700x23-26C thorn resistant tubes with no problems. I am going
    to 700X32 tires. Can I use my old size tubes or will there be too much stretch/stress on them. I
    have a handful left and hate to pitch them. Thanks to all...

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "buckaroo" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > My current tires are 700x28C and I use 700x23-26C thorn resistant tubes with no problems. I
    > am going to 700X32 tires. Can I use my old size tubes or will there be too much
    > stretch/stress on them.

    Tubes stretch alot, but if you stretch them that much, they probably won't be thorn
    resistant any more.

  3. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >Tubes stretch alot, but if you stretch them that much, they probably won't be
    >
    >thorn resistant any more.

    Not really that much of a stretch. Going from a 28mm width to a 32 mm should reduce the tube wall
    thickness less than 15%, not much in my book.

    jon isaacs

    Jon Isaacs

  4. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    [email protected] (Jon Isaacs) wrote:

    >>Tubes stretch alot, but if you stretch them that much, they probably won't be
    >>
    >>thorn resistant any more.
    >
    >Not really that much of a stretch. Going from a 28mm width to a 32 mm should reduce the tube wall
    >thickness less than 15%, not much in my book.

    I agree with Jon that it will work and that you probably won't have any problems, but would expect
    that most tubes won't expand uniformly beyond their designed size. How much difference this will
    make is anybody's guess - but I wouldn't be at all surprised if you ended up with some spots in the
    tube with significantly less than 85% wall thickness.

  5. Buckaroo

    Buckaroo Guest

    Thanks for help!

  6. Bluto

    Bluto Guest

    Mark Hickey wrote:

    > >I agree with Jon that it will work and that you probably won't have any problems, but would
    > >expect that most tubes won't expand uniformly beyond their designed size.
    >
    > My guess is that it takes a lot more than an additional 15% to cause the tube to go non-linear.
    > The tube is constrained by the tire so it does not have the opportunity to expand freely as it
    > would when inflating it outside the tire.

    My experience with thorn-resistant tubes is that they are much thicker on the circumference than
    they are on the rim-facing side. This causes them to stretch almost entirely on the inner face, with
    the outer edge stretching only enough to take up the extra tire diameter.

    Chalo Colina