tubeless conversion

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by franco1, Feb 22, 2010.

1. franco1

franco1 New Member

I hope you guys can help.

I've got a set of Mavic Crossride wheels which I converted to tubeless with Joe's conversion kit.

In the kit the paper does specify the certain Mavic, DT etc are narrow rims and you do get narrow strips.

I've done the conversion and have found the strip (rubber) to stick out of the rim. So I brought it to my local dealer and he said it is suppose to be like that.

Now another mate of mine is running Stan's and you cant see the rim strip and he has DT swiss rims which are also narrow.

Is this now correct, or will the tyre roll of the rims?

Tags:

2. tafi

tafi Member

I can't see how looking at a tubeles setup from one company will enable you to tell how to install another company's product. If the designs are different, then of course they will look different. I had a brief look at "Joe's" Installation manual and it states:

"Joes tubeless rims trip should sit just under the bead lock of the rim or slightly above the beadlock"

3. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

Well, not only are some rims more narrow (559-17), the 'well' (for want of a different word) that the "tube" would theoretically be seated may not be as deep on one rim as another.

Regardless, have you pressed the liner tightly against the "well" surface?

If you have AND the liner has MOLDED completely against the rim's "well" surface then mount an old tyre, and use a razor to trim the excess away the 'flashing' (again, for want of a different word) from the rim.

If the liner hasn't molded completely to the "well" surface of the rim, then you should probably try to remount it before trimming the excess "flashing" away from the rim.

4. vspa

vspa Active Member

what do tubeless tires have to offer ? What's new on them and how they work ?

5. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

Tubeless tires theoretically allow the rider to use a lower PSI ...