Tubeless road tyres

montyzuma

Dec 10, 2002
OK, I know that non UST MTB tyres work fantastically as tubeless with a sealant like Stan's Notubes, but has anyone tried it on clincher road tires? I'm not that worried about the weight reduction - more interested in the puncture proofing properties.

the main benefit of MTB tubeless tires is pinch flat resistance which is not normally an issue on the road whereas direct sharp object punctures are

therefore tubeless road tires might actually make things worse

Not the case - go to notubes.com & check out the puncture proofing video for sharp objects - seems to work like a dream.
I can't believe no-one out there has tried it on a road bike!? Or are people keeping it as a strategic secret?

i have tried it, it works. Can be tricky to set up but it can be done. The tyre pressure is a lot higher than a MTB tyre so maybe that's why nobody has really tried to do it? You need a good compression pump to get the tyres to seat quickly. I also plan to use it on my cyclo-cross tyres this winter so I can run lower pressure there also.

So, what do they feel like? And do they seem to be better for punctures? How much juice did you put in each tyre?

feels like normal, I put in about as much juice as they recommend for a MTB tyre (about 1/4 cup). If you puncture, the liquid will come flying out fast due to the high pressure but if you keep rolling it usually stops pretty quickly. I had several punctures in one tyre on one fill of liquid. I commute every day and get my share of flats.

Well, have been running the system for 3 months now & works well - no flats in that period. Weight of my wheels is the same (60g of Stan's=the 60g lightweight tubes I was using). Set up on Mavic Ksyriums (no need to seal spokeholes) & Axial Pro tires. Using pressures up to 130 psi with no hassles!

i was about to ask how u seal the spoke holes on road rims designed to be used with thread tape and tubes/clincher tyres. Obviously there are brands out there with a sealed system (the ksyriums being one) with a solid rim base, as the spokes are inserted from the inside of the rim as opposed to the tyre seating area. Does anybody have any ideas about sealing spoke holes on rims without a sealed tyre mounting surface?

I have also made my mountainbike wheels tubeless with the Stan's system, and it should work just as well on a road rim - I'm talking about the original system using reinforced tape & sealing them with electrical tape, not using one of the rim strips.