Tubeless Tires.................

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MTBScottie

I recently had my full suspension bike up for sale on mtbreview.com; I ended up getting an offer I
couldn't refuse for a trade. The bike is everything I've ever wanted; lightweight, hydro disc
brakes, XTR front and rear, light wheelset. It did come with something I'm not so sure about, and
that's tubeless tires. I really havent paid much attention to much of your discussions on this topic
because I have never owned them and never really cared to, but they came with the package. I
received the bike last Wednesday, and still haven't been able to ride it untill today. Just as I was
going to give it a pre ride look over, I noticed the front tire had gone fairly soft. I checked the
rear tire, and if it has lost any air, it is microscopically minimal. So I got the pump, and
loosened the valve on the presta, and the tire went completely flat. Filled it back up and seems to
be fine. So here are my questions. By the way, they are Hutchinson Pythons.

1. Is the scenario with my front tire normal, abnormal, maybe the tire not seated correct, or what?
I don't think it is punctured, because it is holding air fine now.

2. What do any of you know about minimum and maximum air pressure for tubless? When the bike was
asssembled for me, the mechanic filled the tires to 60 psi just to give it a quick ride, could
this have something to do with the front tire loosing air?

3. Lastly, I'm tempted to just take the tires off and go with an old reliable set of regular tubed
mtb tires, possible or not considering the wheels are a tubless wheelset?

> tubless? When the bike was asssembled for me, the mechanic filled the tires to 60 psi just to give
> it a quick ride, could this have something to do with the front tire loosing air?

That's propably way over the recommended maximum pressure for those tires. I run my Michelin Comp
S's at something like 30psi and they are fine. Tubeless tires do loose pressure more quickly than
conventional tube setups, but I tend to check the pressure before every ride in any case (also
with tubes).

> 3. Lastly, I'm tempted to just take the tires off and go with an old reliable set of regular tubed
> mtb tires, possible or not considering the wheels are a tubless wheelset?

Yes. You just remove the tubeless valve, put a tube in and that's it. If they are Mavic rims, you
don't need to use a rimstrip.

I think that you should stick with the tubeless system for a while and find out how you like it.

Juho Finland

"Juho Huttunen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > tubless? When the bike was asssembled for me, the mechanic filled the tires to 60 psi just to
> > give it a quick ride, could this have something to do with the front tire loosing air?
>
> That's propably way over the recommended maximum pressure for those tires. I run my Michelin Comp
> S's at something like 30psi and they are fine. Tubeless tires do loose pressure more quickly than
> conventional tube setups, but I tend to check the pressure before every ride in any case (also
> with tubes).

Do you think that any damage could have occured from him filling the tire with to much air?

>
> > 3. Lastly, I'm tempted to just take the tires off and go with an old reliable set of regular
> > tubed mtb tires, possible or not considering the wheels are a tubless wheelset?
>
> Yes. You just remove the tubeless valve, put a tube in and that's it. If they are Mavic rims, you
> don't need to use a rimstrip.
>
> I think that you should stick with the tubeless system for a while and find out how you like it.

I'll give them one chance, and the first problem I have, they are coming off LOL!

>
> Juho Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.