Tubeless vs pressures

Jaypeake

Nov 3, 2009
Hi everyone. I'm building a bike up to race on and I don't know if to ride tubs or pressures?

Jaypeake said:
... tubs or pressures?
Sorry, but I think that was lost in translation.

Are you comparing tubeless road tires like the Hutchinson's to clinchers with inner tubes or are you thinking about tubular (aka sew up) tires which have a tube but it's encased in the tire?

Jaypeake said:
Hi everyone. I'm building a bike up to race on and I don't know if to ride tubs or pressures?

Cross, MTB, road?

If road, tubulars, if cross, tubular with sealant, if MTB and rocky or sloppy, tubeless.

cyclissimo said:
Sorry, but I think that was lost in translation.

Are you comparing tubeless road tires like the Hutchinson's to clinchers with inner tubes or are you thinking about tubular (aka sew up) tires which have a tube but it's encased in the tire?

Yeah the sewn up all in one inner or seperate inner and tyre. I heard most people where riding tyre and inner tubes these days? I've been out of the sport since 1997 so I'm not sure wich is th way forward.

Jaypeake said:
Yeah the sewn up all in one inner or seperate inner and tyre. I heard most people where riding tyre and inner tubes these days? I've been out of the sport since 1997 so I'm not sure wich is th way forward.
Yes, most cyclist's ride clinchers these days. Clinchers have gotten much better over the years and they ride really well, save you money, are a lot less messy to mount and repair and are most rider's choice for training and even for racing.

There are definitely die hard tubular fans and tubulars are lighter and corner really nicely but you don't see nearly as many people riding sew-ups as you would have in the early to mid '90s. Cyclocross is an exception where sew-ups rule for their resistance to pinch flats and the ability to ride them at really low pressures.

Get yourself a nice clincher wheel set for training and general racing and then upgrade your race day wheels if you get totally hooked again.

I have a set of tubulars/sew-ups- they ride smoother,(especailly silk ones,egyptian cotton comes in 2nd) corner better, flat less and are lighter especially considering the rims are lighter than clincher rims. Most euro pros use 'em many have clincher labels on 'em (sponsorship) the top pros have 'em handmade by a guy in France for well over $200 EACH. (I've ridden "Silks"- waaay amazing, WOW!!!!) Tubulars are a pain in the *ss to mount, remove, worse to repair- with effort you can learn how but refill/ sealant is easier ( vittoria etc) most won't notice a big difference compared to a good cotton clincher (gommitalia/vittoria) but I'll never be without a pair ( I use both- clinchers for everyday "tubs" for special!
cyclissimo said:
Yes, most cyclist's ride clinchers these days. Clinchers have gotten much better over the years and they ride really well, save you money, are a lot less messy to mount and repair and are most rider's choice for training and even for racing.

There are definitely die hard tubular fans and tubulars are lighter and corner really nicely but you don't see nearly as many people riding sew-ups as you would have in the early to mid '90s. Cyclocross is an exception where sew-ups rule for their resistance to pinch flats and the ability to ride them at really low pressures.

Get yourself a nice clincher wheel set for training and general racing and then upgrade your race day wheels if you get totally hooked again.