Tubelss or not tubless

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Pwilson, May 23, 2003.

  1. Pwilson

    Pwilson Guest

    So what's the deal with tubelss wheels? Are they worth the weight?

    What do you do if you flat?

    I'm going to disc brakes on my SS (don't give me any of that crap - I've been riding the rigid IF
    for 8 years now and decided I'm going to spoil the new Spot with every modern advantage ) and heard
    there's an issue pulling the disc wheel out of the horizontal dropouts. Hence, the tubeless.

    Paul

    www.teamfrank.com

    Tags:

  2. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "PWilson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > So what's the deal with tubelss wheels? Are they worth the weight?
    >
    > What do you do if you flat?
    >
    > I'm going to disc brakes on my SS (don't give me any of that crap - I've been riding the rigid IF
    > for 8 years now and decided I'm going to spoil the new Spot with every modern advantage ) and
    > heard there's an issue pulling the disc wheel out of the horizontal dropouts. Hence, the tubeless.
    >
    > Paul
    >
    > www.teamfrank.com

    Not sure if I follow - what does the tube/lack of a tube have to do with the horizontal dropouts and
    wheels pulling out?

    I think what you've been hearing is the disc wheel pulling out of NORMAL dropouts, but only on the
    front fork. That's the new problem of the moment, and its still pretty rare and unproven.

    Anyway, still a good basic question, so I'm curious too. Have to decide whether I want X317 or X3.1
    on my new disc wheels :)

    Jon Bond

  3. Pwilson

    Pwilson Guest

    On Sat, 24 May 2003 00:04:03 GMT, "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"PWilson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> So what's the deal with tubelss wheels? Are they worth the weight?
    >>
    >> What do you do if you flat?
    >>
    >> I'm going to disc brakes on my SS (don't give me any of that crap - I've been riding the rigid IF
    >> for 8 years now and decided I'm going to spoil the new Spot with every modern advantage ) and
    >> heard there's an issue pulling the disc wheel out of the horizontal dropouts. Hence, the
    >> tubeless.
    >>
    >> Paul
    >>
    >> www.teamfrank.com
    >
    >Not sure if I follow - what does the tube/lack of a tube have to do with the horizontal dropouts
    >and wheels pulling out?
    The caliper interferes with the wheel being pulled straight back out of the dropouts, therfore
    the caliper needs to be removed to take the rear wheel off. Some people I hear have used
    vertical dropouts along with an eccentric bottom braket for tensioning the chain - I don't want
    to go that route.

    -P

    >I think what you've been hearing is the disc wheel pulling out of NORMAL dropouts, but only on the
    >front fork. That's the new problem of the moment, and its still pretty rare and unproven.
    >
    >Anyway, still a good basic question, so I'm curious too. Have to decide whether I want X317 or X3.1
    >on my new disc wheels :)
    >
    >Jon Bond

  4. Peter R .

    Peter R . Guest

    On Sat, 24 May 2003 00:04:03 GMT, "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"PWilson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> So what's the deal with tubelss wheels? Are they worth the weight?
    >>
    >> What do you do if you flat?
    >>
    >> I'm going to disc brakes on my SS (don't give me any of that crap - I've been riding the rigid IF
    >> for 8 years now and decided I'm going to spoil the new Spot with every modern advantage ) and
    >> heard there's an issue pulling the disc wheel out of the horizontal dropouts. Hence, the
    >> tubeless.
    >>
    >> Paul
    >>
    >> www.teamfrank.com
    >
    >Not sure if I follow - what does the tube/lack of a tube have to do with the horizontal dropouts
    >and wheels pulling out?
    >
    >I think what you've been hearing is the disc wheel pulling out of NORMAL dropouts, but only on the
    >front fork. That's the new problem of the moment, and its still pretty rare and unproven.
    >
    >Anyway, still a good basic question, so I'm curious too. Have to decide whether I want X317 or X3.1
    >on my new disc wheels :)
    >
    >Jon Bond

    Go for the X317. I own those on King Hubs and a pair of Crossmax XL Disc UST's. Tubeless is NOT
    worth it. And they can be pure hell to get off the rim IF you puncture one on a ride. UST tires are
    expensive and heavy ( I think the lightest UST you can get is about 550g, mine are 640g, and those
    are semi-slicks. Expect close to 700g for a real knobby)

    Peter 'HAD to try 'em, your honor' R.

  5. Bob

    Bob Guest

    "Peter R." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 24 May 2003 00:04:03 GMT, "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >

    > Go for the X317. I own those on King Hubs and a pair of Crossmax XL Disc UST's. Tubeless is NOT
    > worth it. And they can be pure hell to get off the rim IF you puncture one on a ride. UST tires
    > are expensive and heavy ( I think the lightest UST you can get is about 550g, mine are 640g, and
    > those are semi-slicks. Expect close to 700g for a real knobby)
    >
    > Peter 'HAD to try 'em, your honor' R.

    My tubeless rims are the bontrage xlite with swiss onyx hubs. Don't care too much for the hubs and
    would have gone chris king if I was smart, but I am not.

    The tires I use are Panaracer XC fire UST and they are excellent. I had some flats with Hutchison
    Python and mosquittos, all patch easily. The tire on/off issue is overblown in my opinion. It just
    takes practice and a little water on the bead.

    You can run the tubeless at lower pressures and after almost a year, I actually like mine. For XC
    riding, try em out.

    Bob