Tubelss or not tubless

Pwilson

Guest
So what's the deal with tubelss wheels? Are they worth the weight?

What do you do if you flat?

I'm going to disc brakes on my SS (don't give me any of that **** - I've been riding the rigid IF
for 8 years now and decided I'm going to spoil the new Spot with every modern advantage ) and heard
there's an issue pulling the disc wheel out of the horizontal dropouts. Hence, the tubeless.

Paul

www.teamfrank.com

"PWilson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> So what's the deal with tubelss wheels? Are they worth the weight?
>
> What do you do if you flat?
>
> I'm going to disc brakes on my SS (don't give me any of that **** - I've been riding the rigid IF
> for 8 years now and decided I'm going to spoil the new Spot with every modern advantage ) and
> heard there's an issue pulling the disc wheel out of the horizontal dropouts. Hence, the tubeless.
>
> Paul
>
> www.teamfrank.com

Not sure if I follow - what does the tube/lack of a tube have to do with the horizontal dropouts and
wheels pulling out?

I think what you've been hearing is the disc wheel pulling out of NORMAL dropouts, but only on the
front fork. That's the new problem of the moment, and its still pretty rare and unproven.

Anyway, still a good basic question, so I'm curious too. Have to decide whether I want X317 or X3.1
on my new disc wheels :)

Jon Bond

On Sat, 24 May 2003 00:04:03 GMT, "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"PWilson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> So what's the deal with tubelss wheels? Are they worth the weight?
>>
>> What do you do if you flat?
>>
>> I'm going to disc brakes on my SS (don't give me any of that **** - I've been riding the rigid IF
>> for 8 years now and decided I'm going to spoil the new Spot with every modern advantage ) and
>> heard there's an issue pulling the disc wheel out of the horizontal dropouts. Hence, the
>> tubeless.
>>
>> Paul
>>
>> www.teamfrank.com
>
>Not sure if I follow - what does the tube/lack of a tube have to do with the horizontal dropouts
>and wheels pulling out?
The caliper interferes with the wheel being pulled straight back out of the dropouts, therfore
the caliper needs to be removed to take the rear wheel off. Some people I hear have used
vertical dropouts along with an eccentric bottom braket for tensioning the chain - I don't want
to go that route.

-P

>I think what you've been hearing is the disc wheel pulling out of NORMAL dropouts, but only on the
>front fork. That's the new problem of the moment, and its still pretty rare and unproven.
>
>Anyway, still a good basic question, so I'm curious too. Have to decide whether I want X317 or X3.1
>on my new disc wheels :)
>
>Jon Bond

On Sat, 24 May 2003 00:04:03 GMT, "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"PWilson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> So what's the deal with tubelss wheels? Are they worth the weight?
>>
>> What do you do if you flat?
>>
>> I'm going to disc brakes on my SS (don't give me any of that **** - I've been riding the rigid IF
>> for 8 years now and decided I'm going to spoil the new Spot with every modern advantage ) and
>> heard there's an issue pulling the disc wheel out of the horizontal dropouts. Hence, the
>> tubeless.
>>
>> Paul
>>
>> www.teamfrank.com
>
>Not sure if I follow - what does the tube/lack of a tube have to do with the horizontal dropouts
>and wheels pulling out?
>
>I think what you've been hearing is the disc wheel pulling out of NORMAL dropouts, but only on the
>front fork. That's the new problem of the moment, and its still pretty rare and unproven.
>
>Anyway, still a good basic question, so I'm curious too. Have to decide whether I want X317 or X3.1
>on my new disc wheels :)
>
>Jon Bond

Go for the X317. I own those on King Hubs and a pair of Crossmax XL Disc UST's. Tubeless is NOT
worth it. And they can be pure hell to get off the rim IF you puncture one on a ride. UST tires are
expensive and heavy ( I think the lightest UST you can get is about 550g, mine are 640g, and those
are semi-slicks. Expect close to 700g for a real knobby)

Peter 'HAD to try 'em, your honor' R.

"Peter R." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 24 May 2003 00:04:03 GMT, "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >

> Go for the X317. I own those on King Hubs and a pair of Crossmax XL Disc UST's. Tubeless is NOT
> worth it. And they can be pure hell to get off the rim IF you puncture one on a ride. UST tires
> are expensive and heavy ( I think the lightest UST you can get is about 550g, mine are 640g, and
> those are semi-slicks. Expect close to 700g for a real knobby)
>
> Peter 'HAD to try 'em, your honor' R.

My tubeless rims are the bontrage xlite with swiss onyx hubs. Don't care too much for the hubs and
would have gone chris king if I was smart, but I am not.

The tires I use are Panaracer XC fire UST and they are excellent. I had some flats with Hutchison
Python and mosquittos, all patch easily. The tire on/off issue is overblown in my opinion. It just
takes practice and a little water on the bead.

You can run the tubeless at lower pressures and after almost a year, I actually like mine. For XC
riding, try em out.

Bob