tubes failing on the seams?

Steve Knight

Guest
so far with the tires on my road bike (bonganger race lite hard case) I have
not found anything that made it through the tire and tuffy liner. I have found
glass and rocks and but of metal in the rubber but they don't make it through. I
have had three flat its in over 3000 miles. the first on the inside of the tube
the second on the outside. but it was on a seam. it look like the seam was split
and a hole right in the middle of the split. today I had another one on the side
of the tube. on a sea and the usual split but two little holes this time. I
think all of these tubes are specialized tubes just basic road bike tubes.
anyone else have this problem?

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

"Steve Knight" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> so far with the tires on my road bike (bonganger race lite hard case) I

have
> not found anything that made it through the tire and tuffy liner. I have

found
> glass and rocks and but of metal in the rubber but they don't make it

through. I
> have had three flat its in over 3000 miles. the first on the inside of the

tube
> the second on the outside. but it was on a seam. it look like the seam was

split
> and a hole right in the middle of the split. today I had another one on

the side
> of the tube. on a sea and the usual split but two little holes this time.

> think all of these tubes are specialized tubes just basic road bike tubes.
> anyone else have this problem?

I replaced a lightweight Specialized tube last week that failed in just that
fashion. My LBS replaced the tube for free after inspecting it (the tube
failed while the bike was sitting in my car on the way home from a bike
tuneup!). The LBS said that they would, in turn, get a free replacement
tube from Specialized as it was clearly a case of "manufacturing defect".

For me, I think it's time to switch to a different brand of tubes.

--
~_-*
....G/ \G

> --
> Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
> Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices
> See http://www.knight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 07:09:29 -0700, GaryG
<garyg@shasta_SPAMBEGONE_software.com> wrote:

> "Steve Knight" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> so far with the tires on my road bike (bonganger race lite hard case) I

> have
>> not found anything that made it through the tire and tuffy liner. I have

> found
>> glass and rocks and but of metal in the rubber but they don't make it

> through. I
>> have had three flat its in over 3000 miles. the first on the inside of
>> the

> tube
>> the second on the outside. but it was on a seam. it look like the seam
>> was

> split
>> and a hole right in the middle of the split. today I had another one on

> the side
>> of the tube. on a sea and the usual split but two little holes this
>> time.

>> think all of these tubes are specialized tubes just basic road bike
>> tubes.
>> anyone else have this problem?

> I replaced a lightweight Specialized tube last week that failed in just
> that
> fashion. My LBS replaced the tube for free after inspecting it (the tube
> failed while the bike was sitting in my car on the way home from a bike
> tuneup!). The LBS said that they would, in turn, get a free replacement
> tube from Specialized as it was clearly a case of "manufacturing defect".
>
> For me, I think it's time to switch to a different brand of tubes.

I had some tubes that did this, but I forgot which brand they were. My
new ones don't do this.

--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply