tubes failing on the seams?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Steve Knight, Sep 1, 2004.

  1. Steve Knight

    Steve Knight Guest

    so far with the tires on my road bike (bonganger race lite hard case) I have
    not found anything that made it through the tire and tuffy liner. I have found
    glass and rocks and but of metal in the rubber but they don't make it through. I
    have had three flat its in over 3000 miles. the first on the inside of the tube
    the second on the outside. but it was on a seam. it look like the seam was split
    and a hole right in the middle of the split. today I had another one on the side
    of the tube. on a sea and the usual split but two little holes this time. I
    think all of these tubes are specialized tubes just basic road bike tubes.
    anyone else have this problem?

    --
    Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

  2. GaryG

    GaryG Guest

    "Steve Knight" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > so far with the tires on my road bike (bonganger race lite hard case) I

    have
    > not found anything that made it through the tire and tuffy liner. I have

    found
    > glass and rocks and but of metal in the rubber but they don't make it

    through. I
    > have had three flat its in over 3000 miles. the first on the inside of the

    tube
    > the second on the outside. but it was on a seam. it look like the seam was

    split
    > and a hole right in the middle of the split. today I had another one on

    the side
    > of the tube. on a sea and the usual split but two little holes this time.

    > think all of these tubes are specialized tubes just basic road bike tubes.
    > anyone else have this problem?

    I replaced a lightweight Specialized tube last week that failed in just that
    fashion. My LBS replaced the tube for free after inspecting it (the tube
    failed while the bike was sitting in my car on the way home from a bike
    tuneup!). The LBS said that they would, in turn, get a free replacement
    tube from Specialized as it was clearly a case of "manufacturing defect".

    For me, I think it's time to switch to a different brand of tubes.

    --
    ~_-*
    ....G/ \G

    > --
    > Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
    > Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices
    > See http://www.knight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

  3. Bob in CT

    Bob in CT Guest

    On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 07:09:29 -0700, GaryG
    <[email protected]_SPAMBEGONE_software.com> wrote:

    > "Steve Knight" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> so far with the tires on my road bike (bonganger race lite hard case) I

    > have
    >> not found anything that made it through the tire and tuffy liner. I have

    > found
    >> glass and rocks and but of metal in the rubber but they don't make it

    > through. I
    >> have had three flat its in over 3000 miles. the first on the inside of
    >> the

    > tube
    >> the second on the outside. but it was on a seam. it look like the seam
    >> was

    > split
    >> and a hole right in the middle of the split. today I had another one on

    > the side
    >> of the tube. on a sea and the usual split but two little holes this
    >> time.

    >> think all of these tubes are specialized tubes just basic road bike
    >> tubes.
    >> anyone else have this problem?

    > I replaced a lightweight Specialized tube last week that failed in just
    > that
    > fashion. My LBS replaced the tube for free after inspecting it (the tube
    > failed while the bike was sitting in my car on the way home from a bike
    > tuneup!). The LBS said that they would, in turn, get a free replacement
    > tube from Specialized as it was clearly a case of "manufacturing defect".
    >
    > For me, I think it's time to switch to a different brand of tubes.

    I had some tubes that did this, but I forgot which brand they were. My
    new ones don't do this.

    --
    Bob in CT
    Remove ".x" to reply