Tubes in UST Tires??

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by T_blood, Jun 6, 2003.

  1. T_blood

    T_blood Guest

    Quick Question....is it normal for bike manufacturers to put tubes in UST tire sets? I have a fairly
    new bike that I have never had the tires off of before. I wasn't pleased with the stock tires so I
    bought a new set of UST'S. Well....today while replacing them I took the stock UST tires off and
    they had tubes in them! Is this normal practice? My set-up is a 2002 Giant ACDS 2 with Michelin UST
    DH comps with Rigida UST rims. I thought maybe at first one of the two components weren't UST but I
    checked and the tires have the bead as well as a place for the bead on the rim. Does anyone know
    where I may purchase a valve stem for these rims so I can use the tires like they were designed? I
    just put the new tires on with tubes for now. Thanks..Mike

    Tags:

  2. "T_Blood" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
    news:[email protected]...
    > Quick Question....is it normal for bike manufacturers to put tubes in UST tire sets? I have a
    > fairly new bike that I have never had the tires off of before. I wasn't pleased with the stock
    > tires so I bought a new set of UST'S. Well....today while replacing them I took the stock UST
    > tires off
    and
    > they had tubes in them! Is this normal practice? My set-up is a 2002 Giant ACDS 2 with Michelin
    > UST DH comps with Rigida UST rims. I thought maybe at first one of the two components weren't UST
    > but I checked and the tires
    have
    > the bead as well as a place for the bead on the rim.

    Sounds pretty stupid and no, its NOT normal :) I dont see the idea in putting tubes in UST
    tires. The UST tires are heavy enough as they are, so putting in tubes only makes them heavier,
    makes no sense.

    Maybe the Rigida rim and the Michelin tire didnt do well together? It might lose air? And an easy
    solution is to put in a tube :)

    Actually i didnt know that Rigida made UST rims? I only thought it was Mavic and Bontrager?

    > Does anyone know where I may purchase a valve stem for these rims so I can use the tires like
    > they were designed? I just put the new tires on
    with
    > tubes for now. Thanks..Mike

    LBS? Maybe Bontrager or Mavic valves will work? My Crossmax doesnt look that special :)

    Peet

  3. T_blood

    T_blood Guest

    "> Actually i didnt know that Rigida made UST rims? I only thought it was Mavic
    > and Bontrager?

    Yeah..my new ust tires even state that they are compatible with Mavic and Rigida UST rims.

  4. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "T_Blood" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Quick Question....is it normal for bike manufacturers to put tubes in UST tire sets? I have a
    > fairly new bike that I have never had the tires off of before. I wasn't pleased with the stock
    > tires so I bought a new set of UST'S. Well....today while replacing them I took the stock UST
    > tires off
    and
    > they had tubes in them! Is this normal practice? My set-up is a 2002 Giant ACDS 2 with Michelin
    > UST DH comps with Rigida UST rims. I thought maybe at first one of the two components weren't UST
    > but I checked and the tires
    have
    > the bead as well as a place for the bead on the rim. Does anyone know where I may purchase a valve
    > stem for these rims so I can use the tires like they were designed? I just put the new tires on
    with
    > tubes for now. Thanks..Mike

    The removable valve stems for tubless use should have been included with your bike, if the original
    wheelset was tubeless. Go back to the LBS and tell them you want your stems.

    I see quite a few tubeless bikes ship with tubes...Gary Fisher bikes do that a lot, and I would
    assume Trek also. It's pretty freaking stupid - but you'd be surprised how little some mechanics
    know about tubeless technology. Also, it makes for a poor display bike when you have to pump the
    tires every day so it doesn't look like it has two punctured tubes. In the end, it's easier for bike
    manufacturers to ship UST bikes with tubes. I didn't say it was right, mind you, just easier.

    Chris (CANNOT get his new set of Serac XC USTs to mount...after a week of trying. Maybe tubeless
    does suck)

  5. T_blood

    T_blood Guest

    > The removable valve stems for tubless use should have been included with your bike, if the
    > original wheelset was tubeless. Go back to the LBS and tell them you want your stems.

    well..bought the bike online so that might prove to be difficult....know of any web based store
    selling them?

    I didn't say it
    > was right, mind you, just easier.
    >
    > Chris (CANNOT get his new set of Serac XC USTs to mount...after a week of
    trying.
    > Maybe tubeless does suck)

    I have a lot of experience mounting auto tires and when a bead would not seal then I would pound the
    side wall with a big hammer right above the leaking bead, test it in water and normally it worked. I
    don't see why this technique would not do the same on UST's (mind you..using a small ball peen
    hammer and taking great caution not to hit the rim!!). Mike

  6. On Sat, 07 Jun 2003 03:53:51 GMT, "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Also, it makes for a poor display bike when you have to pump the tires every day so it doesn't look
    >like it has two punctured tubes.

    None of the UST's in our shop lose air that fast. They don't actually "show" air loss for 3 weeks or
    more. My own Crossmax XL's don't lose air any faster than my tuded bikes.

    If USTs are losing air daily, it's time to dispmount the tire, clean the beads, and remount, using a
    bit of water on the beads.

    Barry

  7. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] online.de says...
    > Quick Question....is it normal for bike manufacturers to put tubes in UST tire sets? I have a
    > fairly new bike that I have never had the tires off of before. I wasn't pleased with the stock
    > tires so I bought a new set of UST'S. Well....today while replacing them I took the stock UST
    > tires off and they had tubes in them! Is this normal practice? My set-up is a 2002 Giant ACDS 2
    > with Michelin UST DH comps with Rigida UST rims. I thought maybe at first one of the two
    > components weren't UST but I checked and the tires have the bead as well as a place for the bead
    > on the rim. Does anyone know where I may purchase a valve stem for these rims so I can use the
    > tires like they were designed? I just put the new tires on with tubes for now. Thanks..Mike

    In shipping the tires deflate and the bead would be broken so maybe they do this so the bike shop
    doesn't have to reinstall them. It doesn't seem likely a bike company would spend $1.50 more than
    they have too though.
    --
    _________________________

  8. In article <[email protected]>, B a r r y B u r k e J r . <n/[email protected]> says...
    > On Sat, 07 Jun 2003 03:53:51 GMT, "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >Also, it makes for a poor display bike when you have to pump the tires every day so it doesn't
    > >look like it has two punctured tubes.
    >
    > None of the UST's in our shop lose air that fast. They don't actually "show" air loss for 3 weeks
    > or more. My own Crossmax XL's don't lose air any faster than my tuded bikes.
    >
    > If USTs are losing air daily, it's time to dispmount the tire, clean the beads, and remount, using
    > a bit of water on the beads.
    >
    > Barry

    Just what a shop mechanic wants to do on 150 new bikes every March. Maybe putting tubes in there
    from the factory is a good idea.
    --
    _________________________

  9. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <n/[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 07 Jun 2003 03:53:51 GMT, "Chris"

    > My own Crossmax XL's don't lose air any faster than my tuded bikes.

    What, your bikes think they're better than ours?!?

    Bill "beating Baker to it just feels right" S.

  10. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "T_Blood" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]line.com...

    > > The removable valve stems for tubless use should have been included with your bike, if the
    > > original wheelset was tubeless. Go back to the LBS
    and
    > > tell them you want your stems.
    >
    > well..bought the bike online so that might prove to be difficult....know
    of
    > any web based store selling them?

    E-mail the web retailer, then. Better yet, call customer service. They owe you the valve stems.
    Failing that, e-mail your rim manufacturer and tell them you need a replacement set (mention how
    much you love the rim, even if you don't). Don't tell them you never had a set, say you need
    another. Ask for a catalog, saying you're looking to pick up a set for another bike, even if you're
    not. Include your address - obstensibly for the catalog, but hopefully they will send you the stems
    too. If not, they will at least tell you where to get them.

    > I didn't say it
    > > was right, mind you, just easier.
    > >
    > > Chris (CANNOT get his new set of Serac XC USTs to mount...after a week of
    > trying.
    > > Maybe tubeless does suck)
    >
    > I have a lot of experience mounting auto tires and when a bead would not seal then I would pound
    > the side wall with a big hammer right above the leaking bead, test it in water and normally it
    > worked. I don't see why
    this
    > technique would not do the same on UST's (mind you..using a small ball
    peen
    > hammer and taking great caution not to hit the rim!!). Mike

    It's not a matter of seating the bead - I find USTs to do that almost automatically - it's just a
    matter of getting the tire onto the rim. I think the tire may be undersized just enough to keep it
    from going over. I took it into the shop where I work yesterday, and all three of us (the mechanics)
    couldn't get the tire onto the rim, even using 4 hands (and 4 QuikStiks) at once. USTs have always
    been difficult to pull over the rim, but never impossible. It gives me a headache.

    Chris

  11. > It's not a matter of seating the bead - I find USTs to do that almost automatically - it's just a
    > matter of getting the tire onto the rim. I think the tire may be undersized just enough to keep it
    > from going over. I took it into the shop where I work yesterday, and all three of us (the
    > mechanics) couldn't get the tire onto the rim, even using 4 hands (and 4 QuikStiks) at once. USTs
    > have always been difficult to pull over the rim, but never impossible. It gives me a headache.
    >
    > Chris

    There's a reason you use a big ass machine to put most other tubeless tires on rims. I genuinely can
    not beleive Park in't marketing a $6500 tubeless tire installation machine yet. Perhaps that's more
    proof that UST hasn't really taken off they way the partners had hoped.
    --
    _________________________

  12. El Barista

    El Barista Guest

    Chris wrote:

    > It's not a matter of seating the bead - I find USTs to do that almost automatically - it's just a
    > matter of getting the tire onto the rim. I think the tire may be undersized just enough to keep it
    > from going over.
    > took it into the shop where I work yesterday, and all three of us (the mechanics) couldn't get the
    > tire onto the rim, even using 4 hands (and 4 QuikStiks) at once. USTs have always been difficult
    > to pull over the rim, but never impossible. It gives me a headache.

    Are you finishing at the valve side? My tubeless experience is limited to Rolf Dolomites and Mavic
    Crossrocs, both with Continental USTs and Michelin USTs. When I first switched I was starting at the
    valve like tubed tires. Once I began FINISHING at the valve I was able to get them mounted by easily
    popping the bead over. Make sure you get the tire down in the deepest part of the rim to give as
    much slack as possible.

    -will

  13. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    I remember from my motorcycle years the 70s. Putting tubes in tubeless tires mag wheels so you just
    pull out the tube and patch it or replace it with a new tube. It saved time and labor due to pluging
    repair kit. And if your rim wouldn't hold air or a slow leak the tube work wonders.

    Fire up MTB 03

  14. On Sat, 07 Jun 2003 14:29:31 GMT, "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <n/[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> On Sat, 07 Jun 2003 03:53:51 GMT, "Chris"
    >
    >> My own Crossmax XL's don't lose air any faster than my tuded bikes.
    >
    >What, your bikes think they're better than ours?!?
    >
    >Bill "beating Baker to it just feels right" S.

    Yep! <G>

    My bikes have "tudes". The Crossmax XL's are "tudeless" and get along better on group rides.

    Barry

  15. On Sat, 7 Jun 2003 10:19:23 -0300, Chris Phillipo <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> If USTs are losing air daily, it's time to dispmount the tire, clean the beads, and remount,
    >> using a bit of water on the beads.
    >>
    >> Barry
    >>

    >Just what a shop mechanic wants to do on 150 new bikes every March. Maybe putting tubes in there
    >from the factory is a good idea.

    Chris, We have to do this on maybe 5% (5 of every 100) tubeless wheels. Our bikes that ship with
    tubeless tires are not sitting on the sales floor, or in the warehouse, with flat tires.

    I really don't see what the big deal is.

    Barry

  16. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest