Tubes & valves

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by [email protected], Jan 15, 2006.

  1. Sorry to sound like a complete cycling novice! Truth is, I live in the
    country and only occasionally use the bike for a spot of exercise or
    visiting the pubs! (BTW - I invested in a semi-reasonable £200
    model... not a Bodgitt & Scarper Halfords job!)

    A few weeks ago when I went to put a bit of air in my tube, I ended up
    releasing all the air as I could not get the pump to fit neatly on the
    valve. Such is my knowledge, I didn't recognise what valve it was - I
    just knew it looked different from others I'd seen.

    I think I may have broken the valve, but thought hey-ho, I'll get a new
    tube probably with a standard valve on it.

    My tube is a 700 x 35 / 43c tube and I have since discovered that you
    get Presta valves (which I think mine is) and the more common Shrader
    valves.

    Question - can I get a new tube with a schrader valve and put it on? Or
    do I go for a presta valve and buy a new bicycle pump? Or I have
    spotted on ebay for around a quid, some adaptors you put on Presta
    valves to make them into Scrader ones.

    Is £4 a decent price for a 700 x 35 tube?

    Any help to a cycling thickie greatly appreciated!!!!

    Cheers,
    Mat G
    Birmingham, UK

    Tags:

  2. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    >Sorry to sound like a complete cycling novice! Truth is, I live in the
    >country and only occasionally use the bike for a spot of exercise or
    >visiting the pubs! (BTW - I invested in a semi-reasonable £200
    >model... not a Bodgitt & Scarper Halfords job!)
    >
    >A few weeks ago when I went to put a bit of air in my tube, I ended up
    >releasing all the air as I could not get the pump to fit neatly on the
    >valve. Such is my knowledge, I didn't recognise what valve it was - I
    >just knew it looked different from others I'd seen.
    >
    >I think I may have broken the valve, but thought hey-ho, I'll get a new
    >tube probably with a standard valve on it.
    >
    >My tube is a 700 x 35 / 43c tube and I have since discovered that you
    >get Presta valves (which I think mine is) and the more common Shrader
    >valves.

    This page shows the two valves
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/presta-schrader.html

    >Question - can I get a new tube with a schrader valve and put it on? Or
    >do I go for a presta valve and buy a new bicycle pump? Or I have
    >spotted on ebay for around a quid, some adaptors you put on Presta
    >valves to make them into Scrader ones.

    Most serious cyclists have two pumps. One kept at home - a track,
    floor or workshop pump - and one for use when out on the road. The
    track pumps are so easy to use and most have adaptable heads to fit
    both kinds of valves. Some portable pumps have adaptable heads too.

    Track pumps from Wiggle http://tinyurl.com/aquqn

    If you don't want to get a track pump get a good road one with a lever
    to lock it on like the Blackburn Road Pump - which does have an
    adaptable head. Here on Wiggle http://tinyurl.com/dh9ko

    Presta valves are slimmer than schrader so if your rim might not have
    a big enough hole for a schrader if it has a presta in it now.

    >Is £4 a decent price for a 700 x 35 tube?

    Yes that's about the normal price.

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Sorry to sound like a complete cycling novice! Truth is, I live in the
    > country and only occasionally use the bike for a spot of exercise or
    > visiting the pubs! (BTW - I invested in a semi-reasonable £200
    > model... not a Bodgitt & Scarper Halfords job!)
    >
    > A few weeks ago when I went to put a bit of air in my tube, I ended up
    > releasing all the air as I could not get the pump to fit neatly on the
    > valve. Such is my knowledge, I didn't recognise what valve it was - I
    > just knew it looked different from others I'd seen.
    >
    > I think I may have broken the valve, but thought hey-ho, I'll get a
    > new tube probably with a standard valve on it.

    It's difficult to break the valve or pump, easy sometimes to accidentally
    release air by doing the wrong thing or the pump not fitting well.... so
    I'm thinking the latter is more likely.

    Check that via www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/presta-schrader.html

    > Question - can I get a new tube with a schrader valve and put it on?

    Schrader valves have a larger diameter so only if the hole in your rim is
    large enough.

    > Or do I go for a presta valve and buy a new bicycle pump?

    It's worth owning a good pump that works well with Presta valves anyway.
    Most pumps nowadays have a reversible parts in the head to make it
    compatible with either type of valve.

    To pump a Presta tube, unscrew the small knurled nut, give the valve a
    quick press to unstick it, enage pump. For the pumps with a lever, push
    pump on first then open lever to lock it on and create a better seal.

    > Or I have
    > spotted on ebay for around a quid, some adaptors you put on Presta
    > valves to make them into Scrader ones.

    They don't work as well as real Schader valves, and ones without o-rings
    hardly work at all. Useful to carry for emergencies on the road (to use a
    grarage when pump is lost/broken) but that's all. www.wiggle.co.uk sell
    them and have a free post option.

    > Is £4 a decent price for a 700 x 35 tube?

    Yes, though sometimes they're half that when special offer/bulk or from
    Wilkinsons.

    ~PB

  4. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Sorry to sound like a complete cycling novice! Truth is, I live in the
    > country and only occasionally use the bike for a spot of exercise or
    > visiting the pubs! (BTW - I invested in a semi-reasonable £200
    > model... not a Bodgitt & Scarper Halfords job!)
    >
    > A few weeks ago when I went to put a bit of air in my tube, I ended up
    > releasing all the air as I could not get the pump to fit neatly on the
    > valve. Such is my knowledge, I didn't recognise what valve it was - I
    > just knew it looked different from others I'd seen.

    There are two standards: Schraeder (same as car tyres, frequently on
    cheaper mountain bikes and hybrids), and Presta (quite different, small
    protruding threaded rod with a knurled locking barrel, on road bikes and
    more expensive mountain bikes). Both standards work perfectly well,
    although the Schraeder barrel is considerably wider and thus not used
    with narrow rims.

    A few pumps automatically adapt to both standards; most pumps are
    convertible between the two standards but you have to take pieces out or
    turn them around or use different adapters.

    > I think I may have broken the valve, but thought hey-ho, I'll get a new
    > tube probably with a standard valve on it.
    >
    > My tube is a 700 x 35 / 43c tube and I have since discovered that you
    > get Presta valves (which I think mine is) and the more common Shrader
    > valves.
    >
    > Question - can I get a new tube with a schrader valve and put it on? Or
    > do I go for a presta valve and buy a new bicycle pump? Or I have
    > spotted on ebay for around a quid, some adaptors you put on Presta
    > valves to make them into Scrader ones.

    A Schraeder valve may well not fit in your wheel; I'd get the presta and
    get someone in the bike shop to show you how to use it. It's not hard,
    but if you don't know to loosen the barrel it's not going to work.

    > Is £4 a decent price for a 700 x 35 tube?

    You can get them a lot cheaper (half that price) if you buy tens, but I
    suspect that's an average price.

    ;; I put the 'sexy' in 'dyslexia'