Tubes with Schrader valves

thepeddler

Apr 22, 2007
Hi All,

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to fit tubes with a Schrader valve onto a Giant CRX 4. According to the specs on the website the CRX 4 has alloy double wall 700c x 32H rims. Would the hole in the rim be large enough for the Schrader? I find the Presta valves are a pain in the ass to deal with, they are to finiky.

thanks in advance

thepeddler said:
Hi All,

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to fit tubes with a Schrader valve onto a Giant CRX 4. According to the specs on the website the CRX 4 has alloy double wall 700c x 32H rims. Would the hole in the rim be large enough for the Schrader? I find the Presta valves are a pain in the ass to deal with, they are to finiky.

thanks in advance
Probably not. Schrader valves are not easy to pump up to high pressures. However, you can get a screw on converter that effectively makes a Presta valve work like a Schrader.

I still wouldn't recommend it for any road bike, and in fact run Presta tubes on my MTB as well.

The problem may be that peddler already has an excessively cheap adapter. I hated my prestas too until I went to a bike shop and got an adapter made out of brass. When you unscrew the presta valve a bit and screw the adapter on, you can't tell it from a schraeder except that it pumps any time there is pressure on the outside; or in other words you don't have to depress a pin with the pump.

thepeddler said:
Hi All,

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to fit tubes with a Schrader valve onto a Giant CRX 4. NO!

According to the specs on the website the CRX 4 has alloy double wall 700c x 32H rims. Would the hole in the rim be large enough for the Schrader? NO!, You need a 10-11mm hole.
I find the Presta valves are a pain in the ass to deal with, they are to finiky.
Real Men Pump Presta! :p

thepeddler said:
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to fit tubes with a Schrader valve onto a Giant CRX 4. According to the specs on the website the CRX 4 has alloy double wall 700c x 32H rims. Would the hole in the rim be large enough for the Schrader?
You can drill-or-ream the rim's Presta valve hole to accomodate the larger diameter of a Schrader valve stem ... DON'T make the hole larger than you have to AND "clean" the edges of the hole with some emery cloth.

If you decide, later, that it wasn't a good idea, you can get a rubber grommet to fit in the hole to allow future use of a Presta valved tube.

alfeng said:
You can drill-or-ream the rim's Presta valve hole to accomodate the larger diameter of a Schrader valve stem ... DON'T make the hole larger than you have to AND "clean" the edges of the hole with some emery cloth.

If you decide, later, that it wasn't a good idea, you can get a rubber grommet to fit in the hole to allow future use of a Presta valved tube.
I've done this too. Just drilled out the existing valve hole and replaced tube with the Schrader type. This way, I can use the compressor I use to blow the kids tires up with.

Thanks for the replies,

I don't particularly want to drill a bigger hole in the rim so I will give the adapter a try and see how that goes.

At least that way I will still fall some-what into the "real man" category:D (lol).

Hi All,

As suggested I got the brass converter which certainly makes it easier to get the prestas to work. The only problem was that I had to go through two tubes before I got one that would inflate?

I was wondering what peoples experiences are with tube quality and if some tubes are better than others?

thepeddler said:
Thanks for the replies,

I don't particularly want to drill a bigger hole in the rim so I will give the adapter a try and see how that goes.

At least that way I will still fall some-what into the "real man" category:D (lol).
eek.gif
If you didn't have an adapter at all, I'd say that was your problem!
biggrin.gif

garage sale GT said:
eek.gif
If you didn't have an adapter at all, I'd say that was your problem!
biggrin.gif
Thats very good GT, who says people in south suburban Chicago are dumb:D

Any thoughts on tube quality?