Tubes

li rider

Oct 11, 2004
Just replaced my tires and, as per manufacturers instructions, also replaced the inner tubes. I was gong to order new tubes and saw for the first time the range of tubes that were out there on the market. I previously just bought what was on the shelf at LBS.

Any suggesitons on tubes? tires are 700 x 23.
I ride for distance, not race, and don't want to worry about flats.

Conti Race 700, covers 18-25mm, in the valve length to suit you rim, I use 48mm. :)

li rider said:
Just replaced my tires and, as per manufacturers instructions, also replaced the inner tubes. I was gong to order new tubes and saw for the first time the range of tubes that were out there on the market. I previously just bought what was on the shelf at LBS.

Any suggesitons on tubes? tires are 700 x 23.
I ride for distance, not race, and don't want to worry about flats.
Can't go wrong with Michelin or Continental. Once an object gets past your tires casing, no tube is going to stop it. If you want to reduce flats, it's got to be done at the tire.

What about the quality of the valve? I'm sure I got a flat where the valve just gave up on me. That seems like a possible defect issue, lots of pressure and joining of two materials. Anyone else thought they had an issue with the valve or where it joins to the tube? Those above are good choices.

I had Bontrager nylon tires that came on my bike (3 weeks old). A couple weeks ago I was woken up at 1am with what sounded like a steam pipe burst. It was my front tire. When I looked for the cause the next morning I found a 1cm cut on the tire. I had finished my ride 14 hours before the tire blew.It was a 30 mile ride. I never found the piece that blew out that night.
I relpaced both tires with Continental Ultra Gatorskins 700x25. I'm sure I won't be seeing many flats anymore. Have to love that kevlar.

RussB

agree on conti's :) i use the race tubes in my training wheels coz their cheaper and either race lights or supersonics in my race wheels. go supersonics if you can, awesomely light

SLClimber said:
What about the quality of the valve? I'm sure I got a flat where the valve just gave up on me. That seems like a possible defect issue, lots of pressure and joining of two materials. Anyone else thought they had an issue with the valve or where it joins to the tube? Those above are good choices.
Take your flat home and water test it, so you can really tell if the leak is where the stem is vulcanised to the tube. My club members had that problem, and more, with Performance's Lunar Lites. Nobody would use those tubes anymore, even if they were free. I run 50g Continental Race 28 Supersonics and have no problems. I use Co2 on the road and am convinced that it freezes any vale core to the point where it may or may not seal perfectly. Too many times I and others have found the tube replaced, was low the next day and the tube water tested good. Never had that occur after I started letting some of the air out of the tube when I got home, spitting into the head of my floor pump (lubricant?), and pumping it back up to ride psi.

so do you give any credit to self-sealing claims on tubes?

lks said:
Can't go wrong with Michelin or Continental. Once an object gets past your tires casing, no tube is going to stop it. If you want to reduce flats, it's got to be done at the tire.