tubing for tioga bloodhound - wrong valve

Dilbert Firestorm

Guest
I got the pyramid 27x1-3/8 tubes to go with the tioga bloodhound tires.

after I put the tires in and got the foot pump out to put air in it, I
discovered one small problem the valve is different from the other kind
of valve used on the old tire. the box mentions "presta valve". that
pretty much kills the foot pump which was designed to pump thru a
different type of valve.

anyone know what pumps work with this type of valve? I'd rather the
other kind of valve tho as not to obsolete the foot pump in the process.

I didn't know there were other types of valves, how types many are there?

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 02:00:28 -0500, Dilbert Firestorm
<scanb_no_spam31@*no_spam*I-55*no_spam*.com> wrote:

>I got the pyramid 27x1-3/8 tubes to go with the tioga bloodhound tires.
>
>after I put the tires in and got the foot pump out to put air in it, I
>discovered one small problem the valve is different from the other kind
>of valve used on the old tire. the box mentions "presta valve". that
>pretty much kills the foot pump which was designed to pump thru a
>different type of valve.
>
>anyone know what pumps work with this type of valve? I'd rather the
>other kind of valve tho as not to obsolete the foot pump in the process.
>
>I didn't know there were other types of valves, how types many are there?

Hi, there are two common types the Presta and the one you want, the
Schrader valve. Go to a bike shop, for about $1 you can get a screw on
adapter, to use the Presta with your pump. Although putting a Presta
valve stem through the larger hole, may create problems, which could
cause a flat.
For more info, with pictures, see -
http://sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#valves

Life is Good!
Jeff

Jeff Starr wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 02:00:28 -0500, Dilbert Firestorm
><scanb_no_spam31@*no_spam*I-55*no_spam*.com> wrote:
>

>>I got the pyramid 27x1-3/8 tubes to go with the tioga bloodhound tires.
>>
>>after I put the tires in and got the foot pump out to put air in it, I
>>discovered one small problem the valve is different from the other kind
>>of valve used on the old tire. the box mentions "presta valve". that
>>pretty much kills the foot pump which was designed to pump thru a
>>different type of valve.
>>
>>anyone know what pumps work with this type of valve? I'd rather the
>>other kind of valve tho as not to obsolete the foot pump in the process.
>>
>>I didn't know there were other types of valves, how types many are there?
>>

>Hi, there are two common types the Presta and the one you want, the
>Schrader valve. Go to a bike shop, for about $1 you can get a screw on
>adapter, to use the Presta with your pump. Although putting a Presta
>valve stem through the larger hole, may create problems, which could
>cause a flat.
>For more info, with pictures, see -
>http://sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#valves
>

>Life is Good!
>Jeff

the tube i got has a screw nut on the presta valve, I gather that it
should be screwed down to the rim in this case.

so, would getting a screw on adapter be the solution if having a presta
valve stem thru a larger hole may cause a problem?

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 02:00:28 -0500, Dilbert Firestorm
<scanb_no_spam31@*no_spam*I-55*no_spam*.com> wrote:

>I got the pyramid 27x1-3/8 tubes to go with the tioga bloodhound tires.
>
>after I put the tires in and got the foot pump out to put air in it, I
>discovered one small problem the valve is different from the other kind
>of valve used on the old tire. the box mentions "presta valve". that
>pretty much kills the foot pump which was designed to pump thru a
>different type of valve.
>
>anyone know what pumps work with this type of valve? I'd rather the
>other kind of valve tho as not to obsolete the foot pump in the process.
>
>I didn't know there were other types of valves, how types many are there?

Two angles here, I'll play both...

Get to know this guy:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tyres.html
If your rim is drilled for Schraeder then that's what you should use.

So how on earth did you get so far as to install a tube without noticing that
the stem was so freeking weird you've never seen anything like it before and
there was never any hope that any pump you've ever known would work with it?

If you are in that much of a fog while working on your bike I fear for your
safety. Attend or you'll get hurt.

Ron

how was I to know that those tubes used other types of valves instead of
the "shraeder" valves.

Tue, 21 Dec 2004 11:45:06 -0500, <[email protected]>,
Dilbert Firestorm <scanb_no_spam31@*no_spam*I-55*no_spam*.com> wrote:

>how was I to know that those tubes used other types of valves instead of
>the "shraeder" valves.

The word "presta" printed on the box would be a fair indication.
--
zk

Zoot Katz wrote:

>Tue, 21 Dec 2004 11:45:06 -0500, <[email protected]>,
>Dilbert Firestorm <scanb_no_spam31@*no_spam*I-55*no_spam*.com> wrote:
>

>>how was I to know that those tubes used other types of valves instead of
>>the "shraeder" valves.
>>

>The word "presta" printed on the box would be a fair indication.

well duh!!!!!! as that would be a help.

Jeff Starr wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 02:00:28 -0500, Dilbert Firestorm
><scanb_no_spam31@*no_spam*I-55*no_spam*.com> wrote:
>

>>I got the pyramid 27x1-3/8 tubes to go with the tioga bloodhound tires.
>>
>>after I put the tires in and got the foot pump out to put air in it, I
>>discovered one small problem the valve is different from the other kind
>>of valve used on the old tire. the box mentions "presta valve". that
>>pretty much kills the foot pump which was designed to pump thru a
>>different type of valve.
>>
>>anyone know what pumps work with this type of valve? I'd rather the
>>other kind of valve tho as not to obsolete the foot pump in the process.
>>
>>I didn't know there were other types of valves, how types many are there?
>>

>Hi, there are two common types the Presta and the one you want, the
>Schrader valve. Go to a bike shop, for about $1 you can get a screw on
>adapter, to use the Presta with your pump. Although putting a Presta
>valve stem through the larger hole, may create problems, which could
>cause a flat.
>For more info, with pictures, see -
>http://sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#valves
>

>Life is Good!
>Jeff

got the adapter. looks like it'll do the trick.