tubless aero rim recommendations

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by stringbean, Aug 18, 2009.

1. stringbean

stringbean New Member

Im considering building a race only front wheel. Any recommendations for reasonably priced tubless (not clincher) aero rims? The super light Zipp etc types are great, but I cannot afford them, even those that show up on ebay sometimes.
    thanks

Tags:

2. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Do you mean tubeless or tubular? Zipp makes tubular wheels/rims but not tubeless.

3. Peter@vecchios

[email protected] New Member

I'm thinking he means tubular, not tubeless, also. No carbon tubeless rims out there(I think, could be wrong) but even with carbon clincher, they are often heavier and more expensive than the tubular offering. Lots of not big $ carbon tubular front wheels out there. You can skimp on the front hub, service it often and it will be a great front race wheel.

4. alienator

Actually I saw just within the last two weeks that Hutchison is going to be selling a tubeless CF rim. Looks like maybe Corima makes it. I'm sure it will come with a hefty price tag.

[​IMG]

5. stringbean

stringbean New Member

my mistake, I mean tubular. One reply suggested that there were lots of economical carbon rims. Maybe the $$$ are relative, to me $600 is a lot for a rim. Id be happy with aluminum. Ive considered the Velocity Pro-elite but was wondering if there were other options.

6. alienator

There are actually CF wheel sets that are less than you think. You can new wheel sets for less than $1000, and if you go to eBay you can get used sets for even better prices.

7. Peter@vecchios

[email protected] New Member

One new one altho there are others. Maybe $400 or so for a front wheel if they are sold as singles.

http://www.cadencecycles.com/50mm.html

BUT a ProElite laced to a mid range front hub can be a good front race wheel. Also a Velocity Escape, not as aero but lighter. Probably in the $200 range.