tubular and brake recommendations wanted

kjoel

Jul 16, 2004
I have a bianchi I have set up for road riding, and it has tubular rims. I much prefer the ride of good tubular tires, but have had issues with flats. Tufo sealant helps alot, but is not a cure all. does anyone have recommendations for the most durable tubulars(700c) for a performance oriented road cycle. wet weather performance is a priority as New Orleans gets more than its share of moisture. also what are the best brakes, I am thinking either campagnolo or else Mavic I have easton Earo bars with integrated brake levers so the levers are not required. they also have thumb shifters. I am running all campy components.

thanks for your assistance/advice.

Kevin

Check out continental competitions, I've had really good luck with them. They have a 'tread' design that is supposedly good in wet weather. Get them at www.biketiresdirect.com (they only carry gray, but you pay 65 for a tire as opposed to 120).

Don't know about the brake question.

Well, you don't say how much you want to spend for brakes or tires. The Campy Veloce and Centaur brakes are less expensive than the Mavic's and have the same or better stopping power, then the Chorus and Record versions are a bit lighter and more expensive, and both of them have single-pivot rear brakes which are less powerful but help to keep you from skidding the rear tire. The Mavic's are the same weight and between the price of Chorus and Record, but only come in black. Records are black or silver.

A tubular with very high performance, excellent grip, and decent puncture resistance is the Vredestein Fortezza Pro. There are several other brands/models also, but this is one of the best IMO.

Check them out here.

One place you can buy them is here.

The Mavics are fine brakes. I've not used Campy brakes, but compared to Dura-Ace and Ultegra brakes I've used, the Mavics are better: strong, with muy good modulation. Shimano brakes never gave me the feedback that the Mavics do. 1 or 2 finger braking is the norm w/ the Mavics

more than anything as for cost, I want whatever it tales to make sure I have good brakes and good tires(that handle well and are resistant to cuts). thinking Mavic are the way to go for the brakes and maybe go trough Bike Tires Direct for the tires as they offer 60 day road hasard warranty for $5. figure even if I have to get new tires every 60 days, well worth it. the roads here are in horrible condition and full of glass, have gone through a pair of Vittoria Corsa CX tires(@ over $200/pair) in less than a month, so needless to day, I am not happy. hate to sacrifice ride quality, but it is necessary to some degree to be able to ride here, with road conditions what they are.

The Vitt Corsa sew-up's that I used to use occasionally never were very good for puncture resistance. I had flats on those fairly often. Nice tires, good ride & handling, etc., but if you just looked at them they'd get a puncture. They're good if you're going to be on roads that you know will be pretty clear of debris.

Bike Tires Direct is a good place to buy tires from, I've bought many from them. But they don't have much selection in tubulars, mainly just the Conti's. The Comp's will ride somewhat harsher than the Corsa's that's for sure.

But the reason I recommended the Fortezza Pros is because I know their clinchers are one of the best rides on the market and they're excellent for not getting flats. I haven't used the tubular Vred's yet, but judging from how they're constructed, and my experience with Vred's clinchers, I'd be getting the FP's today if I still had tubular wheels. The only thing I would wish for is that they made them in a wider version like a 24c.

I'll put it this way: if the Fortezza Pro's are good enough for the Davitamon-Lotto team to ride in the top echelon races, (shown mounted below), then they're good enough for you and me. :)

Brakes-wise, I can't see spending the money on the Mavic's over say the Campy Centaur's unless you want to pay double the price to save about 2 oz. of weight for the set. That's non-rotating weight and is less than a sip of water. Centaur's can be had for about $100. or less, and they're excellent brakes with more than enough stopping power and modulation. I can say that, because that's what I'm using right now, and I've owned an all-Record group on a Litespeed frame in the past. I'm not saying anything bad about the Mavic's, but unless you're trying to build an uber-light bike, why pay twice as much just for 2 oz. less weight and no better braking performance?

Also as an aesthetics issue, the Centaur's come in "Century Grey" with white logos as an option which IMHO beats any other brake I've seen for looks. I wish I had bought them instead of the silver ones I have now. The grey is simply gorgeous compared to the "Ti" colored units or silver or black.

kjoel said:
more than anything as for cost, I want whatever it tales to make sure I have good brakes and good tires(that handle well and are resistant to cuts). thinking Mavic are the way to go for the brakes and maybe go trough Bike Tires Direct for the tires as they offer 60 day road hasard warranty for $5. figure even if I have to get new tires every 60 days, well worth it. the roads here are in horrible condition and full of glass, have gone through a pair of Vittoria Corsa CX tires(@ over $200/pair) in less than a month, so needless to day, I am not happy. hate to sacrifice ride quality, but it is necessary to some degree to be able to ride here, with road conditions what they are.

Wurm said:
The Vitt Corsa sew-up's that I used to use occasionally never were very good for puncture resistance. I had flats on those fairly often. Nice tires, good ride & handling, etc., but if you just looked at them they'd get a puncture. They're good if you're going to be on roads that you know will be pretty clear of debris.

Bike Tires Direct is a good place to buy tires from, I've bought many from them. But they don't have much selection in tubulars, mainly just the Conti's. The Comp's will ride somewhat harsher than the Corsa's that's for sure.

But the reason I recommended the Fortezza Pros is because I know their clinchers are one of the best rides on the market and they're excellent for not getting flats. I haven't used the tubular Vred's yet, but judging from how they're constructed, and my experience with Vred's clinchers, I'd be getting the FP's today if I still had tubular wheels. The only thing I would wish for is that they made them in a wider version like a 24c.

Brakes-wise, I can't see spending the money on the Mavic's over say the Campy Centaur's unless you want to pay double the price to save about 2 oz. of weight for the set. That's non-rotating weight and is less than a sip of water. Centaur's can be had for about $100. or less, and they're excellent brakes with more than enough stopping power and modulation. I can say that, because that's what I'm using right now, and I've owned an all-Record group on a Litespeed frame in the past. I'm not saying anything bad about the Mavic's, but unless you're trying to build an uber-light bike, why pay twice as much just for 2 oz. less weight and no better braking performance?

Also as an aesthetics issue, the Centaur's come in "Century Grey" with white logos as an option which IMHO beats any other brake I've seen for looks. I wish I had bought them instead of the silver ones I have now. The grey is simply gorgeous compared to the "Ti" colored units or silver or black.
sounds like a good plan. that way the brakes will match the rest of my components as well, and the tires sound like the way to go for durability and ride quality.

anyone here use the vridistien fortezza pro tires in tubular to recommend their durability and ride? or what is the best place to deal with on them(cost and selection).

Kevin

To be honest Kevin, I don't think you'll find too many that have used the FP's yet, because they didn't come to the market until recently, and there aren't too many non-pro's that ride sew-ups today as you probably know.

That might also be why not many dealers have them right now. But I would much rather put an extra $50.-100. into a better tire set than to spend it on a mere couple of ounces of weight on the brakes, with no improvement in quality or performance with the brakes.

Click the link I gave above (bikesomewhere.com), they have the FP's. You could ask BTD also because they sell Vred's, but I'm betting they can't get the low prices they normally have on tires because they don't buy the FP's in bulk (yet).

kjoel said:
sounds like a good plan. that way the brakes will match the rest of my components as well, and the tires sound like the way to go for durability and ride quality.

anyone here use the vridistien fortezza pro tires in tubular to recommend their durability and ride? or what is the best place to deal with on them(cost and selection).

Kevin