Tubular base tape adhesive

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Victor, Apr 15, 2003.

  1. Victor

    Victor Guest

    I am looking for very specific information on the correct glue to use on my tubular's base tape
    (Conti Sprinter 250's). The FAQ has an article that states "carpet glue" or a "latex emulsion". The
    Velox kit only includes the rubber glue. Still miffed about that one, How the hell can you repair a
    tubular if the base tape isn't glued back on? But I digress....

    Anyway, there are many types of carpet glue and most people I have asked do not know what a latex
    emulsion is. I have found Le Tour base tape adhesive online for $10 but wanted to find something
    more economical and/or sourced locally. If not, Branford here I come.

    Thanks,

    Victor

    Tags:

  2. On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 16:05:13 +0000, Victor wrote:

    > I am looking for very specific information on the correct glue to use on my tubular's base tape
    > (Conti Sprinter 250's). The FAQ has an article that states "carpet glue" or a "latex emulsion".
    > The Velox kit only includes the rubber glue. Still miffed about that one, How the hell can you
    > repair a tubular if the base tape isn't glued back on? But I digress....
    >
    > Anyway, there are many types of carpet glue and most people I have asked do not know what a latex
    > emulsion is. I have found Le Tour base tape adhesive online for $10 but wanted to find something
    > more economical and/or sourced locally. If not, Branford here I come.

    Go to a carpet supply place, and ask for either latex emulsion, or seam sealer. It really is
    remarkable stuff, perfect for re-gluing the base tape. You get about a liter for $10; a
    lifetime supply.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Accept risk. Accept responsibility. Put a lawyer out of _`\(,_ | business. (_)/ (_) |

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Victor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am looking for very specific information on the correct glue to use on
    my
    > tubular's base tape (Conti Sprinter 250's). The FAQ has an article that states "carpet glue" or a
    > "latex emulsion". The Velox kit only includes
    the
    > rubber glue. Still miffed about that one, How the hell can you repair a tubular if the base tape
    > isn't glued back on? But I digress....
    >
    > Anyway, there are many types of carpet glue and most people I have asked
    do
    > not know what a latex emulsion is. I have found Le Tour base tape adhesive online for $10 but
    > wanted to find something more economical and/or sourced locally. If not, Branford here I come.

    In the Velox kit, the blue tube with the clear fluid is just regular rubber cement as you'd get with
    any patch kit. The orange tube with the amber-colored fluid is natural latex solution ( and it _is
    labelled, albeit en francais). Use that in a few repeated layers as it is quite thin to as to soak
    into the fabric. That stuff is available separately, caoutchouc naturel, and yes I had to go get a
    tube becauseI could not spell it from memory.

  4. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Victor Coots writes:

    > I am looking for very specific information on the correct glue to use on my tubular's base tape
    > (Conti Sprinter 250's). The FAQ has an article that states "carpet glue" or a "latex emulsion".
    > The Velox kit only includes the rubber glue. Still miffed about that one. How the hell can you
    > repair a tubular if the base tape isn't glued back on?

    > Anyway, there are many types of carpet glue and most people I have asked do not know what a latex
    > emulsion is. I have found Le Tour base tape adhesive online for $10 but wanted to find something
    > more economical and/or sourced locally. If not, Branford here I come.

    The brand name that I have is "Jiffytex" and is listed:

    http://www.cleanstop.com/newpage4.htm

    "Touchdown" is listed at:

    http://www.wftaylor.com/sundry.htm http://www.wftaylor.com/taylor/spec710.pdf

    Home Depot lists a seam sealer but I cannot see whether it is latex:

    http://tinyurl.com/9msa

    Do not try to use tire patch glue. It won't work and it costs a bundle for the amount required.
    Follow the instructions in the FAQ description. I've repaired many tires that way in the days when
    we all rode tubulars and Specialized had not yet introduced the high performance clincher.

    http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8b.19.html

  5. Greg Hall

    Greg Hall Guest

    I have successfully used Jevelot Tire Life Sew-up Protector to reglue base tapes.

    A couple of sources include: http://www.branfordbike.com/tires/tire6.html
    http://www.lickbike.com/i1620200.htm

    It's pretty economical and I have purchase it at my LBS.

    Greg Hall

    "Victor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am looking for very specific information on the correct glue to use on my tubular's base tape
    > (Conti Sprinter 250's). The FAQ has an article that states "carpet glue" or a "latex emulsion".
    > The Velox kit only includes the rubber glue. Still miffed about that one, How the hell can you
    > repair a tubular if the base tape isn't glued back on? But I digress....
    >
    > Anyway, there are many types of carpet glue and most people I have asked do not know what a latex
    > emulsion is. I have found Le Tour base tape adhesive online for $10 but wanted to find something
    > more economical and/or sourced locally. If not, Branford here I come.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Victor

  6. Victor

    Victor Guest