Tubular choices

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Michael Hoyt, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Michael Hoyt

    Michael Hoyt Guest

    At the risk of re-starting the tubular flame war and having 50+ messages that actually don't pertain
    to the orig. post, I would like to open the tubular discussion up again.

    I am looking for tires (my first tubulars) for race only wheels. They will be used in road races as
    well as TTs and hillclimbs (maybe crits). I had assumed that I'd use Veloflex tires, but there are a
    lot of other choices out there. I want the fastest tire, not necessarily the cushiest and that's
    where the question is. What atributes are most important for speed? I've read that wider is actually
    faster due to less rolling resistance. Higher PSI should also reduce rolling resistance. Finially,
    light weight never hurts, but will come at the expense of less reliability.

    Are those assumptions correct? If so or if not, which models are most worthy of consideration if
    cost is not part of the equation and speed and handling are the ultimate goals?

    Thanks!

  2. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    I'm partial to the Tufo S3 Pros. 190g with a fairly tough carcass. Seem to do OK for lots of things.

    For a little more weight, the S22s are about the same weight as the Conti Sprinters, but a quarter
    of the price.

    Tried Vittorias, but had problems with flatting. One of the keys to winning races is actually
    finishing...

    The natural rubber Contis stick very well, but I've heard that the silica tread versions like to
    squirm around hen cornering.

    Next?

    "Michael Hoyt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > At the risk of re-starting the tubular flame war and having 50+ messages that actually don't
    > pertain to the orig. post, I would like to open the tubular discussion up again.
    >
    > I am looking for tires (my first tubulars) for race only wheels. They will be used in road races
    > as well as TTs and hillclimbs (maybe crits). I had assumed that I'd use Veloflex tires, but there
    > are a lot of other choices out there. I want the fastest tire, not necessarily the cushiest and
    > that's where the question is. What atributes are most important for speed? I've read that wider is
    > actually faster due to less rolling resistance. Higher PSI should also reduce rolling resistance.
    > Finially, light weight never hurts, but will come at the expense of less reliability.
    >
    > Are those assumptions correct? If so or if not, which models are most worthy of consideration if
    > cost is not part of the equation and speed and handling are the ultimate goals?
    >
    > Thanks!

  3. Mike Krueger

    Mike Krueger Guest

    I have used many different tubulars in the last 10 years-Continental, Veloflex, Vittoria, Barum,
    EuroTek, Clement. I still think the Vittoria CX is the best all-around racing tubular. You can buy
    them for under $35 each from mail order suppliers in the UK. For safety, make sure that you use the
    proper technique to glue them on.

  4. mg hoy-<< I want the fastest tire, not necessarily the cushiest and that's where the question is.

    << What atributes are most important for speed?

    You do, not the tire choice. There are advantages to tubies but they are in the
    cornering/comfort/wee less weight/less flats catagory, not speed...

    I like Veloflex Dugast Conti Sprinter

  5. In article <[email protected]>, Michael Hoyt
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >At the risk of re-starting the tubular flame war and having 50+ messages that actually don't
    >pertain to the orig. post, I would like to open the tubular discussion up again.
    >
    >I am looking for tires (my first tubulars) for race only wheels. They will be used in road races as
    >well as TTs and hillclimbs (maybe crits). I had assumed that I'd use Veloflex tires, but there are
    >a lot of other choices out there. I want the fastest tire, not necessarily the cushiest and that's
    >where the question is. What atributes are most important for speed?

    As long as the tire is not too narrow, and is installed properly and inflated properly, there will
    not be appreciable speed differences. Super light tires don't make much sense either for most road
    events - they are expensive, wear out fast and not as reliable. Flats certainly are not a "speed
    attribute".

    The most important speed attributes are in your body and its relationship to the bike. The
    differences (in terms of speed) between typical racing tubulars are going to be so small that they
    are not relevant compared to almost any other factor you could mention.

    You pooh-pooh the comfort issue, but comfort is speed as well. If speed is how fast you complete an
    100+ mile ride, for example, comfort is a huge factor. If the event is just a quick grunt then it
    matters less.

    I think your best tire choice is probably one of the popular general-use 22mm tubulars in the
    220-250 gram range like a Veloflex Criterium, Vittoria CX, Conti Sprinter, etc. As an added bonus if
    you trash a training wheel you can just ride the tubulars, something you wouldn't want to do with
    some super light "crono" tire that costs $100 a crack.

    --Paul

  6. Don't be an ass.

    Change to tyre and tubes, or do you want to the the last person on tubulars?

  7. mike-<< For a little more weight, the S22s are about the same weight as the Conti Sprinters, but a
    quarter of the price.

    These things are $15??

  8. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    Ok, I may off by a few $$. I think I paid $20/per for mine.

    > mike-<< For a little more weight, the S22s are about the same weight as
    the
    > Conti Sprinters, but a quarter of the price.
    >
    > These things are $15??

  9. Jeff Martin

    Jeff Martin Guest

    I have both clincher and tubular wheels, I prefer the tubulars. "Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee"
    > Don't be an ass.
    >
    > Change to tyre and tubes, or do you want to the the last person on
    tubulars?

  10. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    Makes two of us. I have been sucked into the "clinchers for training" thing, though. When there
    used to be many people on the ride with spare tubies, I didn't have any worries: someone always had
    a spare...

    Mike "Jeff Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have both clincher and tubular wheels, I prefer the tubulars. "Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee"
    > > Don't be an ass.
    > >
    > > Change to tyre and tubes, or do you want to the the last person on
    > tubulars?

  11. Michael Hoyt

    Michael Hoyt Guest

    Well I was the one who started the thread, so I thought I'd tell you what I went with: Andre Dugast.
    Not only might I be the lasst to get sucked in (I doubt it), but I picked the only person who still
    does them "like they used to." I doubt they'll be the last I buy. We'll see.

    P.S. I still train on clinchers and I'll race on clinchers in the rain. Carbon rims and rain don't
    get along.