Tubular glue vs activate tape

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Paulus, Dec 29, 2004.

  1. Paulus

    Paulus Guest

    Hi there,
    Having made my first attemtp at gluing on some tubulars to my new rims (and
    getting glue everywhere) a net search has found you can get 'activated
    tubular tape'.

    I am skeptical as to the effectiveness of such tape. Does anyone have any
    experience with it? Can you corner as well without the wheels coming off
    etc.

    Cheers
    Paul

    Tags:

  2. "Paulus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]
    > Hi there,
    > Having made my first attemtp at gluing on some tubulars to my new rims

    (and
    > getting glue everywhere) a net search has found you can get 'activated
    > tubular tape'.
    >
    > I am skeptical as to the effectiveness of such tape. Does anyone have any
    > experience with it? Can you corner as well without the wheels coming off
    > etc.

    I haven't tried the tape, but I'm sure you'll find, as I did, that with
    practice you'll get less messy gluing the tyres on!!
    Gemm

  3. Nick Payne

    Nick Payne Guest

    I've used tape in the past. Didn't roll the tyres. But I think glue is
    better - other than waiting for it to dry it takes less time and it's easier
    to position the tyre accurately. There are several schools of thought on how
    to do it. For example, see
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/mounting-tubulars.html (which is from the
    FAQ) and http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/part3/section-18.html. I
    prefer the second method - I find it easier to avoid getting glue
    everywhere.

    Nick