Tubular glue vs activate tape

Paulus

Guest
Hi there,
Having made my first attemtp at gluing on some tubulars to my new rims (and
getting glue everywhere) a net search has found you can get 'activated
tubular tape'.

I am skeptical as to the effectiveness of such tape. Does anyone have any
experience with it? Can you corner as well without the wheels coming off
etc.

Cheers
Paul

"Paulus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:%[email protected]...
> Hi there,
> Having made my first attemtp at gluing on some tubulars to my new rims

(and
> getting glue everywhere) a net search has found you can get 'activated
> tubular tape'.
>
> I am skeptical as to the effectiveness of such tape. Does anyone have any
> experience with it? Can you corner as well without the wheels coming off
> etc.

I haven't tried the tape, but I'm sure you'll find, as I did, that with
practice you'll get less messy gluing the tyres on!!
Gemm

I've used tape in the past. Didn't roll the tyres. But I think glue is
better - other than waiting for it to dry it takes less time and it's easier
to position the tyre accurately. There are several schools of thought on how
to do it. For example, see
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/mounting-tubulars.html (which is from the
FAQ) and http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/part3/section-18.html. I
prefer the second method - I find it easier to avoid getting glue
everywhere.

Nick