Tubular rim choice

PeterF

Sep 13, 2004
I am interested in having a set of tubies hand built. I am going with Record hubs (preferably pre-2006 10 speed if I can find them), but not sure on the rims yet. The use will be crits and training rides. The rims that interest me are in order:
1. Velocity Escape
2. Ambrosio Montreal
3. Mavic Reflex CD

I weigh around 100 kg and will go with a minimum of 32 spokes with possibly a 36h rear. Any thoughts/experiences on the rims mentioned above?
Thanks

PeterF said:
I am interested in having a set of tubies hand built. I am going with Record hubs (preferably pre-2006 10 speed if I can find them), but not sure on the rims yet. The use will be crits and training rides. The rims that interest me are in order:
1. Velocity Escape
2. Ambrosio Montreal
3. Mavic Reflex CD

I weigh around 100 kg and will go with a minimum of 32 spokes with possibly a 36h rear. Any thoughts/experiences on the rims mentioned above?
Thanks

We build with many Escapes but at 100kg, 36 front and rear is a good idea, regardless of rim choice. 4 spokes weigh 28 grams but a 36h wheel is stronger than a 32. use Revolution spokes up front.

If you choose the Refelx, use the non CD one also, IMO.

PeterF said:
1. Velocity Escape
2. Ambrosio Montreal
3. Mavic Reflex CD

FWIW. I would guess that a lot your choice will depend on your wheelbuilder ...

If you have Peter White (and/or, Peter Chisholm!) build your wheels, then he will undoubtedly suggest the VELOCITY ESCAPE rims ... so, they must be a good choice!

While the AMBROSIO MONTREAL rims probably set a new standard for tubular rims way-back-when (circa 1980!), I would choose/use them mainly because I would simply be moving some of the rims from my OLDER wheelsets onto contemporary hubs ... and, just after the-turn-of-the-Century, I bought a set of 36h Ultegra hubs from Colorado Cyclist just for that purpose. Its a VERY GOOD rim, particularly for training.

I have MAVIC REFLEX clinchers (622x13) ... presumably, the cross-section profile of the tubular is the same as on the clincher of the same name. The MAVIC Reflex's cross section probably makes them marginally stiffer than the vintage (is there an updated "Montreal" rim?) Ambrosio rims, but not necessarily (i.e., probably not) stiffer than the Velocity rim. If I were lacing a new set of tubulars with yet-to-be-bought MAVIC rims, I would try to get a set of CXP30 tubular rims because the "aero" profile should (but, not necessarily) mean that the rims will be slightly stiffer (with a small weight penality) than a wheel laced with Reflex rims.

In part, I guess the rim you choose will depend on rim availabilty & also on your aesthetic sensibilites ...

PeterF said:
1. Velocity Escape
2. Ambrosio Montreal
3. Mavic Reflex CD

Thanks

Or these-

http://www.velocityusa.com/default.asp?contentID=588

Bit heavier, could do with 32h spokes but I admit, heavier rim by 100 grams but 30 grams lighter in spokes is not the way to good wheels, IMO.

Light hub, light-ish rim and adequate spokes for the rider is the way.

Peter@vecchios said:
We build with many Escapes but at 100kg, 36 front and rear is a good idea, regardless of rim choice. 4 spokes weigh 28 grams but a 36h wheel is stronger than a 32. use Revolution spokes up front.

If you choose the Refelx, use the non CD one also, IMO.

Do escapes come in 36h?