tubular tire suggestions

polynikes722

Apr 28, 2004
Hi - I'm looking to buy my first pair of tubular tires and have been considering the Tufo Elite Road. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what they would consider the best tubular tire? My team is sponsered by vredestein - I don't suppose anyone knows something about that brand? Chris.

Originally posted by polynikes722
Hi - I'm looking to buy my first pair of tubular tires and have been considering the Tufo Elite Road. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what they would consider the best tubular tire? My team is sponsered by vredestein - I don't suppose anyone knows something about that brand? Chris.

Continental Sprinter 250, best tire by far for the cash

Originally posted by polynikes722

I tried Tufos not long ago, and now I use them exclusively. Unlike some other brands, they give a very thorough, logical selection with various colors being available for each model as well.

Which you choose depends on your intended use. The Elite Road is a very solid choice for general road racing on surfaces of variable quality, where best puncture resistance is desired.

I'm presently using the 215g S3 Lites, and have used both the Elite Road and Hi Composite Carbon as well. Each offers specific advantages depending upon intended use, and I've been very pleased with them all.

Ted, would you elaborate on which tufo you use and where they excel?

Just replaced my 15 yo GIOS with a Colnago Master X with all campy again and yes, tubies. We used to buy 10 at a time because you had to "season" the things! [vulcanization, what a concept]. I've still got a pair of wolber neo pro sp1's on it now ... amazing. More puncture resistant than my conti gatorskinz on my commuter bike.

Tubular tires feel different than clinchers ... much more agile and connected. Tried a couple of mid-pack factory wheels (campy euros, Mavic kysriums) and they didn't feel nearly as good as my old-school tubular wheels ... everything else about the new ride is amazing, and I can't wait to feel how the new tubulars will feel on it as well.

Originally posted by bradgo2000
Ted, would you elaborate on which tufo you use and where they excel?

I've used several different Tufo tires, and none of them have disappointed me. I like the Tufo range because the selection is very comprehensive and logically arranged, the quality nice, and the pricing always reasonable.

Most recently, I've used the HI Composite Carbon (22mm, 260g)and Elite Road (23mm, 240g), both of which are very good and durable for general road use. Currently, I'm using the S3 Lite (21mm, 215g) in anticipation of a 3-stage race next month. I'm riding Campy Hyperon wheels presently, but I'm planning on getting a pair of Corima Aeros and a Corima disc to toss into the mix.

I typically run my tires in the 160-170psi range (~11 bar), and I love the way they feel and respond to rider input. They grip very well, and I feel more secure in the corners with these tires than I ever did with clinchers.

Prior to using the Tufo tubulars, I was using better Conti clinchers and Mavic wheels (Open Pro, etc.). I prefer the tubulars, and I'm not going back.

Originally posted by Ted B
I've used several different Tufo tires, and none of them have disappointed me. I like the Tufo range because the selection is very comprehensive and logically arranged, the quality nice, and the pricing always reasonable.

Most recently, I've used the HI Composite Carbon (22mm, 260g)and Elite Road (23mm, 240g), both of which are very good and durable for general road use. Currently, I'm using the S3 Lite (21mm, 215g) in anticipation of a 3-stage race next month. I'm riding Campy Hyperon wheels presently, but I'm planning on getting a pair of Corima Aeros and a Corima disc to toss into the mix.

I typically run my tires in the 160-170psi range (~11 bar), and I love the way they feel and respond to rider input. They grip very well, and I feel more secure in the corners with these tires than I ever did with clinchers.

Prior to using the Tufo tubulars, I was using better Conti clinchers and Mavic wheels (Open Pro, etc.). I prefer the tubulars, and I'm not going back.

So you use these for racing and training?

Try Vittoria Pave EX. They were used by the winning rider in this year's Paris-Roubaix (yes those cobble stones can wreak hovoc on your your tire).

They were also used by Roger Hammond who placed third in the same race and he ran them at only 5 bar tire pressure and no flat!

Pave's are specially made by Vittoria to withstand such punishment.

Originally posted by Ted B
I haven't yet raced the Tufos, but that's the idea, yes.

I would be keen to find out how you go with doing this. I have thought about getting some tubular race wheels but don't see the point in the extra complexity of running both clinchers and tubulars, when dud tubulars can be repaired and turned into training tyres.
What wheels will you use for training with these?

Originally posted by tafi
I would be keen to find out how you go with doing this. I have thought about getting some tubular race wheels but don't see the point in the extra complexity of running both clinchers and tubulars, when dud tubulars can be repaired and turned into training tyres.
What wheels will you use for training with these?

Some background...

I decided to Ebay an assortment of items and sell off my two previous Bianchis (both with clincher sets) for the purpose of combining the funds toward building up the top-level frameset and getting the best of everything I could afford. I was mulling over a set of clincher Ksyriums SSC SL when I came across a set of slightly used Campy Hyperons (tubular) for a price I just couldn't pass.

Those Campys make riding a pleasure, but given the replacement cost ($1800 USD), I chose to get a different wheelset for regular training. I have no interest in going back to clinchers, and therefore I'm not really interested in running both tubulars and clinchers. What I've decided to do is get a set of Corima Aeros (tubular), which are more reasonably priced. I will use the Corimas for training, touring, and racing over relatively flat courses. I'll use the Hyperons for the hilly courses. I might have opted for a set of much cheaper wheels for training, but since much of my proper training is done on an indoor trainer, I'm not exactly battling it out on the streets on a daily basis. Furthermore, I wanted something that would be also nicely suited to racing conditions.

If you train mostly outdoors, and want to invest in a good set of racing tubulars but want train on an inexpensive tubular wheelset, I believe both Mavic and FIR make aluminum tubular sets for about the cost of a Mavic Open Pro set.

Finally, I just snagged a nice used Corima rear disk with Tufo S3 Lite (195g) on the cheap. With this item, I have everything I could possibly need and I'm completely done spending on wheels!

Initially I was nervous about running tubulars, but having ridden them quite a lot these past couple of months, I'm nervous no longer. In fact, I really dig tubulars and I'm not going back. If you decide to run tubulars, get a few tubes of the Tufo sealant. I haven't yet needed it, but those who have agree that it works well. Also, I use the Tufo Extreme Tape for mounting the tubulars, so you can mount tyres yourself neatly and quickly without using messy glues and having to wait.