Tubular tyres for training and racing

tafi

Jul 31, 2003
I just posed this ieda in the thread below but I thought I'd start a new one as I want to know specific experiences people have with using tubular tyres all the time.

It has been suggested to me that if I want some decent racing wheels then I should get some Zipp 404s (or something like that) for use with tubulars/singles/sew-ups/sprints/stick-ons (what ever you want to call them!)

Now I would be wanting to run the pressures prety high in some races.
The problem here, as I see it, is that if I punctured one and then subsequently repaired it, I would probably not feel comfortable running it at race pressure again (many people have said that you shouldn't race on patched singles but I'm not sure of their reasons).
Logic would suggest that you find another use for it or throw it out (which would be a waste). So my idea would be that once I got two patched singles I would then get a pair of wheels built with tubular training rims (aka: Mavic Reflex) and then start using the patched singles for training too.

Is this a strategy that other's have followed or are there better ones?
I just can't justify using two different types of tyre since you'd end up with a fair few useless tubulars over time.

Any ideas would be great.

Cheers