Tubular versus Clinchers

MikeyOz

New Member
Aug 12, 2003
Anybody get a good description of the difference between tubular and Clinchers ??

Is one better than the other, depending on the sort of riding you are doing, do 1 or the other allow inflation to higher pressures ??

I have always ridden clinchers but only because that is what shipped with the bike I purchased..

info ?? good link ??

Below is from Tufo's website , one of a handful of companies still producing
quality tubular tyres in Europe. Actually the Czech Republic where Tufo are
made , you can actually buy tubular tyres 'galusky' at large supermarkets ,
such was the popularity of the tubular tyres on road bikes in the pre-89
years.
Steve
p.s as you can see Tufo don't make hp tyres :}

www.idealcycles.com

http://ideal1984.blogspot.com/
What type of tire to use?
This question is often discussed even amongst bicycle racers and top
professionals and "correct answer" of an "expert cyclist" is often based on
a grist of half truths, quite false assumptions and failures to understand
basic facts. In reality, the answer to this question is not straightforward
and generally valid because it depends on the use the bicycle and the tire
will be put to. Therefore, only general facts with characteristics of
available tire types can be listed here:
Tubular tires
a.. used by majority of competitive cyclists
b.. from all tire types they have the lowest rolling resistance
c.. tubular tire is the lightest in weight of all tire types
d.. tubular rim is lighter than clincher rim
e.. possibility to use an inflation pressure higher than that employed in
clincher type tires
f.. in case of fast deflation the rider's stability and safety are not
affected as much as in the case of clincher tires
g.. can be ridden flat in case of emergency
h.. necessity to glue the tire to the rim
i.. the puncture repairs are not easy (does not apply to TUFO tubular
tires in combination with TUFO sealant, the repair is easy and in many cases
instant and cheap)
Clincher tires
a.. from all choices clincher tire is the heaviest
b.. necessity to use a much heavier inner tube, which adds more weight,
and increases rolling resistance
c.. necessity to use rim tape - an extra part and more weight
d.. clincher type tire is heavier than the tubular one
e.. higher rolling resistance in comparison with tubular tires
f.. in case of a puncture, the repair is possible (not easy) or the tube
has to be changed
g.. no need to utilize glue, mounting is very difficult and sometimes
impossible without using tools
h.. after mounting it can be used immediately
i.. in case of fast deflation, direct and instant effect on the rider's
stability and safety
TUFO tubular clincher tires
a.. totally new, revolutionary construction
b.. low rolling resistance
c.. no need to use a rim tape
d.. low weight
e.. no need to use glue
f.. the easiest and fastest mounting from all types of tires, no tools
required
g.. possibility of high inflation pressures
h.. distinctly the safest behavior in case of flats without endangering
the rider's stability
i.. in case of emergency it can be ridden flat
j.. after mounting it can be used immediately
k.. riding properties are equal to those of tubular tires
SUMMARY
For racing purposes and quality training, or for a ride with feeling of
lightness, tubular tires are the obvious choice. Their main advantage is a
significant saving on weight; not only of the weight of the tire itself, but
also of that of the rim. For the front and rear wheels this weight saving
can total 500 grams in comparison with the clincher rims and tires.
Moreover, this weight saving is achieved on the circumference of the rotary
parts (wheels) where, from the physical point of view, in case of
acceleration, the low weight is much more important than the weight of solid
parts of a bicycle. It is necessary to realize that races are won just by
acceleration at the right and critical moment, such as final sprint,
catch-up with the peloton, break off from the peloton. At the same time, low
rolling resistance and safety in case of flats are strong arguments for
tubular tires.

TUFO tubular clincher tire is quite universal. It can be used anywhere
tubular or clincher tires are presently utilized (road races, time trials,
training, cyclo-cross events, cyclotourism.).

For those who switch from clincher type tires to TUFO tubular clinchers,
there is no extra investment. They only remove the clincher tire, tube and
rim tape replacing the three parts with only one - TUFO tubular clincher
tire. Everyone will be fast to realize the advantage of easy mounting and,
in combination with TUFO sealant, the fastest and the most effective flat
repair without having to remove the tire off the rim.

Steve said:
[...]

umm Tubular tyres from this description and some others I subsequently read on the net, seem to be the best thing to go with ...!??

does anybody on there use them ?? Tubular that is ?? No flats!? (as such) Lighter, higher PSI, better rolling resistance ?? How come they are not more popular ? Just because the large bike companies decided to go with clinchers ??

Is this like the betamax and vhs debacle ? and the upcoming Blu-ray and HD-DVD battle ??

I love the terminology.

Clinchers use tubes. Tubulars are tubeless.

Bit like clipping into clipless pedals... (yes, I know, its
clicking...)

Absent Husband (in inner tubes I trust...)

Tubulars for touring? Get serious, only a tubular-only company would push that line.

till

MikeyOz said:
No flats!? (as such) Lighter, higher PSI, better rolling resistance ?? How come they are not more popular ? Just because the large bike companies decided to go with clinchers ??
we Aussies used to call them "singles":)

I don't know much about the Tufos, but normal tubulars are an ABSOLUTE PAIN IN THE ASS IF YOU GET A FLAT -- the whole tyre has to be ripped off the rim (if you can) and another one applied, with the hope than the glue will hold. This is why they've lost their popularity. They're really just a "race only" thing these days. Don't use 'em, they're not worth the trouble.

Having said that, a tubular tyre & rim combination is usually lighter, rolls better, and will take much more pressure, but they're usually more expensive.

I Cycling Plus poll voted the high-end Vittoria clinchers as the closest thing to a tubular, but they're about 100 bucks!!

till! wrote:
> Tubulars for touring? Get serious, only a tubular-only company would
> push that line.
>
> till

There are people that tour on tubulars.

I have some spinergies with tubulars and every now
and then I'll go for a blast on them.

Marty

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 20:40:58 +1000, 531Aussie
<[email protected]> wrote:

>MikeyOz Wrote:
>> No flats!? (as such) Lighter, higher PSI, better rolling resistance ??
>> How come they are not more popular ? Just because the large bike
>> companies decided to go with clinchers ??
>> we Aussies used to call them "singles":)

>I don't know much about the Tufos, but normal tubulars are an ABSOLUTE
>PAIN IN THE ASS IF YOU GET A FLAT -- the whole tyre has to be ripped
>off the rim (if you can) and another one applied, with the hope than
>the glue will hold. This is why they've lost their popularity. They're
>really just a "race only" thing these days. Don't use 'em, they're not
>worth the trouble.

For what it's worth, a lot of Euro pro teams are racing on
clinchers these days. That article must have been written in 1970 :)

"Marty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Parbs wrote:
>> "MikeyOz" asked...
>>
>>>Anybody get a good description of the difference between tubular and
>>>Clinchers ??
>>>

>>>info ?? good link ??
>>>

>> An interesting little story about the Continental Factory, with pictures
>> of tubular tyres being made
>>
>> http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2005/features/conti_factory
>>
>> Parbs
>>

> I'm amazed. Hand made singles really are hand made!
>
> Marty

Thanks to a puncture today, I can say that singles are a hell of a lot nicer
to ride on when flat.

Decision time: repair the puncture of get a new single...

The P wrote:
> "Marty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Parbs wrote:
>>
>>>"MikeyOz" asked...

>>>An interesting little story about the Continental Factory, with pictures
>>>of tubular tyres being made
>>>
>>>http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2005/features/conti_factory
>>>
>>>Parbs
>>>

>>I'm amazed. Hand made singles really are hand made!
>>
>>Marty

> Thanks to a puncture today, I can say that singles are a hell of a lot nicer
> to ride on when flat.
>
> Decision time: repair the puncture of get a new single...

You've got nothing to lose, you may as well have a go at repairing it.

Marty

"Marty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The P wrote:
>> "Marty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>>I'm amazed. Hand made singles really are hand made!
>>>
>>>Marty

>> Thanks to a puncture today, I can say that singles are a hell of a lot
>> nicer to ride on when flat.
>>
>> Decision time: repair the puncture of get a new single...

> You've got nothing to lose, you may as well have a go at repairing it.
>
> Marty

Any idea where I can get myself latex emulsion to stick the base tape back
to the casing and where I get the thread (or will any do?)

Cheers

The P wrote:

> Any idea where I can get myself latex emulsion to stick
> the base tape back to the casing and where I get the
> thread (or will any do?)

You can get latex from art supply places. In addition to sticking base tape on, it's also used to mask things when painting. It's a little on the thin side straight out of the bottle, but is okay.

As for thread, I find nothing works better than dental floss. It's really good stuff.

Also, get one of those triangle needle thingies - it makes the stitching a lot easier.

Fixing singles is no harder than fixing HPs. You just have to know how to sew.

Cheers,

Suzy

"suzyj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> The P wrote:
>
>> Any idea where I can get myself latex emulsion to stick
>> the base tape back to the casing and where I get the
>> thread (or will any do?)

> You can get latex from art supply places. In addition to sticking base
> tape on, it's also used to mask things when painting. It's a little on
> the thin side straight out of the bottle, but is okay.
>
> As for thread, I find nothing works better than dental floss. It's
> really good stuff.
>
> Also, get one of those triangle needle thingies - it makes the
> stitching a lot easier.
>
> Fixing singles is no harder than fixing HPs. You just have to know how
> to sew.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Suzy
>

> --
> suzyj

Cool Suzy, thanks for the tips. Luckily I got an A in craft at school.