Tubular vs. Clincher

vortexrob

Jul 20, 2009
While watching the TdF on Versus, Bobke said that most of the riders in the tour were riding tubular instead of clincher tires. Why?

I suspect you are under 30 and have never ridden sewups

1. Superior performance on the road
2. Tubular rime + tire = less weight than clincher
3. A flat tubular is still rideable.

vortexrob said:
While watching the TdF on Versus, Bobke said that most of the riders in the tour were riding tubular instead of clincher tires. Why?

The people who ride clinchers in the Tour are sponsored by a company that requires them to ride clinchers. Those teams that can ride tubulars do so because they can afford it, they have the mechanics to get extra wheel ready for flats, and and they are just plain faster than clinchers for the reasons listed above.
Another reason to never buy something because you see your favorite Tour rider using it.
Tubulars are still better than clinchers. But only if someone ELSE is paying for them and fixing your flats. If you are a racer on a budget, stick to clinchers. A cheap tubular is not any faster than a good clincher and cost about the same. But good tubulars cost a whole lot of money. And if you don't really know how to glue them right, you are in danger and put the pack in danger. A good glue job takes two days. I know I have glued many a tire. I only rode tubulars on the track. Punctures are way too expensive unless you like to sew.

Yes I concur that the top quality Tubs still out perform the best clinchers, they take pressure better and roll better. However if you get a puncture in for example a silk tub at 140 psi it can mean end of tyre! LOL