Tubular Wheel Recommendations

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Raffy Varona, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Raffy Varona

Raffy Varona New Member

After finding some clinchers to train on, I am now looking for some tubular wheelsets that are below the $3000 price range. I want a tubular wheelset that's stiff and aerodynamic along with being lightweight (Yes, I know tubular wheelsets are light as they are, but I want something very light). Any help would be great. Thanks!

Tags:

2. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Where are you intending to race these wheels? Hills, flat land, rough roads...

Unless you were taking in lots of rough roads on races that were longer than 4 hours long, I'd stick with clinchers - something like the HED Jet6 - but if you'd dead set on tubulars for whatever reason I'd go with something like a set of Zipp 404's or HED Stinger 6FR for hill courses but if you're predominantly a flat lander then 808's or the Stinger 9FR. If you're a little guy that rides on flat but windy roads try mixing a set - Stinger 6 front, Stinger 9 back.

I'm not too sure on the prices for the Zipp wheels but the HED wheels can be had for under 2400 a pair.

3. Raffy Varona

Raffy Varona New Member

Yeah I was planning on using tubulars for crit races on flat and slightly hilly roads. Thanks :)