Tubulars and Clinchers?

Peter Verdesi

Aug 26, 2004
I was wondering if anyone knew if there was any problem mixing a tubular tire with a clincher tire (like mixing radial with bias ply tires in a car). Not that I would do this all the time but if I had a flat at a race would it be unsafe to replace the tubular with a clincher? Thanks.

Peter Verdesi said:
I was wondering if anyone knew if there was any problem mixing a tubular tire with a clincher tire (like mixing radial with bias ply tires in a car). Not that I would do this all the time but if I had a flat at a race would it be unsafe to replace the tubular with a clincher? Thanks.
I dont think i understand what the problem is? If the wheel has a clincher tyre on it run that, if it has a tubular use that. Mixing a tubular front and clincher rear (or vice versa) is not a problem as far as i can see.

drewjc said:
I dont think i understand what the problem is? If the wheel has a clincher tyre on it run that, if it has a tubular use that. Mixing a tubular front and clincher rear (or vice versa) is not a problem as far as i can see.
I'm just wondering if anyone had any negative experience with the combo. The tubulars that I run are at a considerably higher pressure then the clinchers. I'd hate to find out running flat out down a monster hill that it's not stable. Thanks for the reply.