Tubulars, Glue or double sided tape?

Richard Hunter

Dec 26, 2005
Hope that somebody can help, I have purchased a set of Zipps for my wifes TT bike and before I get the local shop to fit the tyres I was wondering if glueing them is better than using tape (I know the local shop recomends tape) mine were fitted by using tape, seems to work ok. Is there much difference in the rolling resistance? We live in Scotland so heat is not an issue.Tyres are the Zipp ones.

Richard Hunter said:
Hope that somebody can help, I have purchased a set of Zipps for my wifes TT bike and before I get the local shop to fit the tyres I was wondering if glueing them is better than using tape (I know the local shop recomends tape) mine were fitted by using tape, seems to work ok. Is there much difference in the rolling resistance? We live in Scotland so heat is not an issue.Tyres are the Zipp ones.

Regardless of rolling resistance, I would use glue, not tape. Both seem to work but when you change the tire, getting all the old tape off is a chore.

Peter@vecchios said:
Regardless of rolling resistance, I would use glue, not tape. Both seem to work but when you change the tire, getting all the old tape off is a chore.

Plus, there are stories floating around about the Tufo Extreme tape taking off the top layer of carbon fiber when you try to get the tire off... :eek:

I know some ppl that swear by glue and some ppl that swear by tape. Either one will do just fine. Plus, if the tape ends up taking off the top layer of carbon, you should be able to warranty the wheel. It happened to one of my old teammates Bontrager wheels and they replaced it.

I like glue, never had a problem with glue in 15+ years of tubular use. Not really a fair statement as I have not used tape. See if you can find some 3M 8031 Fast Tack Trim Adhesive. A lot cheaper then typical glue and works great.

291306_300.jpg

Thanks for all the replys, I have gone with the tape as the wheels will mainly be used for out and back TTs not very hilly courses as we would use lighter wheels, hope I made the right choice