Tubulars, Glue or double sided tape?

Richard Hunter

Dec 26, 2005
Hope that somebody can help, I have purchased a set of Zipps for my wifes TT bike and before I get the local shop to fit the tyres I was wondering if glueing them is better than using tape (I know the local shop recomends tape) mine were fitted by using tape, seems to work ok. Is there much difference in the rolling resistance? We live in Scotland so heat is not an issue.Tyres are the Zipp ones.

Richard Hunter said:
Hope that somebody can help, I have purchased a set of Zipps for my wifes TT bike and before I get the local shop to fit the tyres I was wondering if glueing them is better than using tape (I know the local shop recomends tape) mine were fitted by using tape, seems to work ok. Is there much difference in the rolling resistance? We live in Scotland so heat is not an issue.Tyres are the Zipp ones.

Glue, properly applied. First time you cnahge the tire, and see all the tape remnants, that ya GOTTA remove, you will never use it again. With a little preplanning(takes some time but NOT 2 days ala Velocnews article) and a small brush with a can of glue, much better idea.

Peter@vecchios said:
Glue, properly applied. First time you cnahge the tire, and see all the tape remnants, that ya GOTTA remove, you will never use it again. With a little preplanning(takes some time but NOT 2 days ala Velocnews article) and a small brush with a can of glue, much better idea.

Glue is safer. More contact, not also subject to being pulled off easy. Most people running high pressure in their tires or cyclocross will go w/glue for the reason that the tires can move a bit under those circumstances on the rim and it will shift the tape. Tape is quick and easy though so you've got to weigh the advantages/disadvantages. Advantage of tape is it's easy to put on, easy to pull off (i.e. just plain easy). However, if you're having an experienced shop put them on or you're comfortable doing it, glue is the way to go.