Tubulars glue?

slowdave

Jul 10, 2006
Gday all, i have a zipp 303 which has old dryed glue on it. My question is, Do i need to use the same glue that has been originally used on the rim?, Its brown and the new cement i use drys to a cream color. One more thing what is used to glue the base tape back on after i have patched the tubular, the same cement as i use to stick tyre to rim? Thanks all dave

slowdave said:
Gday all, i have a zipp 303 which has old dryed glue on it. My question is, Do i need to use the same glue that has been originally used on the rim?, Its brown and the new cement i use drys to a cream color. One more thing what is used to glue the base tape back on after i have patched the tubular, the same cement as i use to stick tyre to rim? Thanks all dave
This might help.... http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8b.21.html

If that old glue is in fact dryed out and should be removed from the rim surface so that you can start new, it will take some real elbow grease. I don't know about those Zip rims but for my Rolf tubulars, I use Xylene solvant and an old flexible tire lever. It takes a few hours or more but it got all cleaned off. I then used the Tufo tape which works really nicely. Again, I don't know about those Zip rims. Email Zip for direction would be good advise.

slowdave said:

If you read enough tubular stories you'll eventually find one that says the solvent in one glue brand dissolved the previous glue brand and they cancelled each other out leaving no glue at all (or glue that didn't work). That's BS. If the glue on your rim is good and hard, then it is a BETTER surface for the new glue to adhere to. The only reason to take it off is if there's so much of it that it's changing the effective diameter of your wheel.

The base tape should be stuck back on with liquid latex, usually the sew-up patch kit comes with some of that. Sew-up glue gets soft when it gets hot (that's the biggest danger of failure) and you don't want the base tape to come off the tire because that's really what's glued to the rim.

Full disclosure: I ride sew ups but I suck at patching them.