Tubulars with Tufo tape!?

macaj

Nov 6, 2007
im new to using tubulars on my bike and was wondering whether or not i could use Tufo tape on a tubular tyre that already has glue on it? (the rims have no glue on them) Thanks in advance

macaj said:
im new to using tubulars on my bike and was wondering whether or not i could use Tufo tape on a tubular tyre that already has glue on it? (the rims have no glue on them) Thanks in advance

Nope.

I guess you've gotten an authoritative reply so I'll hijack your thread!

I haven't used tubulars for about 15 years. I've just ordered a set of carbon tubulars and am thinking, is gluing better or tape? Any opinions?

--brett

sideshow_bob said:
I guess you've gotten an authoritative reply so I'll hijack your thread!

I haven't used tubulars for about 15 years. I've just ordered a set of carbon tubulars and am thinking, is gluing better or tape? Any opinions?

--brett

That's a religious question. Personally, I'm a glue guy: I have faith in it, and applyin' it a small, poorly ventilated room makes me feel good. I do hear that Tufo Extreme tape does hold quite well but is a ***** to get off. It can also ruin certain tubulars by violating the basetape if you pull the tubie off. Here in Arizona, Tufo folks have to use Extreme because the regular Tufo tape loses its grip in the heat. FWIW, I just mounted a set of Tufo S-22s to my test set of LEW VT-1 wheels. So far, I'm very unimpressed by the Tufo tires: in my hand they're certainly not as supple as the Vittorias I like. In fact, in my hand the Tufos feel a lot like really cheap garden hose. They weren't my choice. I didn't have any tubulars left around the house, and the Tufos were what LEW sent with the wheels.

I also like glue because it allows you to get a bond all the way out to the edge of the tire bed. That just makes me feel a bit better when descending the mountains.

alienator said:
That's a religious question. Personally, I'm a glue guy: I have faith in it, and applyin' it a small, poorly ventilated room makes me feel good. I do hear that Tufo Extreme tape does hold quite well but is a ***** to get off. It can also ruin certain tubulars by violating the basetape if you pull the tubie off. Here in Arizona, Tufo folks have to use Extreme because the regular Tufo tape loses its grip in the heat. FWIW, I just mounted a set of Tufo S-22s to my test set of LEW VT-1 wheels. So far, I'm very unimpressed by the Tufo tires: in my hand they're certainly not as supple as the Vittorias I like. In fact, in my hand the Tufos feel a lot like really cheap garden hose. They weren't my choice. I didn't have any tubulars left around the house, and the Tufos were what LEW sent with the wheels.

I also like glue because it allows you to get a bond all the way out to the edge of the tire bed. That just makes me feel a bit better when descending the mountains.

I have been using the tape coming from glue and I would say the tape is better. It simply works great. I am in a very similar climate as tuscon (desert, hit mid 120's every summer). tape holds up fine. I use the extrem. on descents it works just fine. As a matter of fact i was flying down South Mountain in PHx, Az just a couple weeks ago. no problem and the tape does come out to the furthest edge of my Zipps. Also for removing the tape its as simple as using a hair dryer or heat gun to loosen the adhesive. Also I have never had an issue removing it. As for the " basetape" issue I have never seen this problem and I believe it's more of a tall tale. Perhaps it could happen but alot of things " could" happen with glue as well. The tape takes abot 5-10 minutes max to apply and you are rollong. very clean install and removal.

Here is a video - http://youtube.com/watch?v=ac_QFWLiUDE

tufo tires suck.

ok, thanks alienator. Is there any right or wrong ways to get the glue off the tyre itself? thanks again

I have been riding tubies since 1987 and have ALWAYs glued. Four months ago I put a set of VeloFlex Carbons on my TT bike and used the Tufo Extreme Tape on ZIPP 606 wheels. So far, I am very impressed and pleased with the result, but it is flat around here although the summers are hot and humid.

This weekend I will be mounting Veloflex Carbons on my road bike 404's. My feeling are mixed right now, but I may wind up using the Extreme Tape......or not, depending on my mood Saturday morning. Depends if I get that little tingle in my stomach or not telling me to stick to the true and tested method of gluing.

thanks for the advice. seems people are pretty split on this one. i might try the tape first and see how i get on from there. most of the road racing these will get used on don't really have switch back descents. actually the majority of the racing will be on an assortment of motorways we tend to race on a lot.

you've mentioned you have a preference for vittorias, are there any you specifically prefer in that range? i'm leaning towards the evo kx's more due to availability in the vittoria range than anything else.

--brett

sideshow_bob said:
thanks for the advice. seems people are pretty split on this one. i might try the tape first and see how i get on from there. most of the road racing these will get used on don't really have switch back descents. actually the majority of the racing will be on an assortment of motorways we tend to race on a lot.

you've mentioned you have a preference for vittorias, are there any you specifically prefer in that range? i'm leaning towards the evo kx's more due to availability in the vittoria range than anything else.

--brett
Just put on some Continental Competition tubs using the extreme tape on my Reynolds MV 32 T rims, all up took about 5 minutes from unrolling the tape to pumping up the tire. Just follow the instructional video on the Tufo website. Tire is easier to seat, as you position it before removing the protective tape and creating the bond.

The vid is at the bottom of the page.
http://www.tufo.com/index.php?lg=en&co=instrukce#Instr4

To take off you just roll the tire off a little bit on one side of the rim and then the other side, the tire comes off easily, the tape is reuseable , if not too much of the cotton strands from the tire base tape adheres to it. The tapes comes of the rims easily if you strip it slowly and there is no glue residue left on the rim or the tire base tape. The rim is like new after you take the tape off. While the tire is in place its a strong safe bond.

For reference Reynolds Composite approves using it with their carbon wheels.

http://www.reynoldscomposites.com/in...p?p_matter=faq
The answer is about half way down

I can't really notice any performance difference to gluing except for less mess and glue where its not supposed to be , I haven't had a tire roll off the rim yet with either method