Tubus Cargo Rack

Bill the Cat

Guest
I have seen comment lately that the Tubus Cargo rack and the Ortlieb
panniers is the way to go. I looked at Tubus' website and they did not
indicate who the local distributor was but after an email, they pointed me
to the importer who directed me to the only distributor of the Cargo rack in
Brisbane. I rang them this a.m. for the price - $208.00 not including any
adapters for quick release.

I understand that the manufacturer has to make their profit, and so too does
the wholesaler and that means on top of the freight to get it here to Oz,
and of course the LBS has to take their cut but somehow that just seems way
too much JUST for a rack.

Are they that good?

Bill the Cat wrote:
> I have seen comment lately that the Tubus Cargo rack and the Ortlieb
> panniers is the way to go. I looked at Tubus' website and they did not
> indicate who the local distributor was but after an email, they pointed me
> to the importer who directed me to the only distributor of the Cargo rack in
> Brisbane. I rang them this a.m. for the price - $208.00 not including any
> adapters for quick release.
>
> I understand that the manufacturer has to make their profit, and so too does
> the wholesaler and that means on top of the freight to get it here to Oz,
> and of course the LBS has to take their cut but somehow that just seems way
> too much JUST for a rack.
>
> Are they that good?

I have stood on mine. It has carried my panniers plus tent etc. My
Ortliebs never LOOK like falling off. If I lost it I'd buy another.
That's all I can tell you.

Maybe you can buy a $50 rack that will do the job. All I know is that
when I'm some distance from the nearest trafficed road and bouncing my
MTB along a track I'd rather my panniers stayed attached and out of my
spokes.

You pays your money, you takes your chances.

"Bill the Cat" wrote:

>I have seen comment lately that the Tubus Cargo rack and the Ortlieb
>panniers is the way to go. I looked at Tubus' website and they did not
>indicate who the local distributor was but after an email, they pointed me
>to the importer who directed me to the only distributor of the Cargo rack
>in Brisbane. I rang them this a.m. for the price - $208.00 not including
>any adapters for quick release.
>
> I understand that the manufacturer has to make their profit, and so too
> does the wholesaler and that means on top of the freight to get it here to
> Oz, and of course the LBS has to take their cut but somehow that just
> seems way too much JUST for a rack.
>
> Are they that good?

They are SENSATIONAL! The toughest rack I've used in thirty years of
touring. 40kg load rating, you'll never exceed that just on the rear - I
normally carry 25 - 30 in front & rear racks and handlebar bag, for an
extended expedition carrying all food for 5-6 days.

If the local price puts you off try www.wallbike.com They are a reliable US
on-line shop that ships to Australia for a reasoable rate. Should get the
Tubus Cargo delivered for around $A160-170.

But they fasten to your rack eyes on the drop-outs, not QR axle. If you have
no rack eyes yuo're better to get the Old Man Mountain perhaps.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@