Tucson Bicycle Classic versus Fitness...

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by catbsq, Feb 11, 2003.

  1. catbsq

    catbsq Guest

    I am going to be in Tucson during the time of the Tucson Bicycle Classic (March 14-16).

    I live in the upper mid-west where we have 8" of snow on the ground now so my outside riding has
    been minimal. I will have about two weeks of solid road time before I get to AZ and was wondering if
    I should do this race. I would be racing just for fitness but I don't want to get dropped.

    Anyone done this event? Is it brutal? Am I going to get my ass kicked? Would my time be better spent
    just riding all day instead?

    Tags:

  2. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I am going to be in Tucson during the time of the Tucson Bicycle Classic (March 14-16).
    >
    > I live in the upper mid-west where we have 8" of snow on the ground now so my outside riding has
    > been minimal. I will have about two weeks of solid road time before I get to AZ and was wondering
    > if I should do this race.
    > would be racing just for fitness but I don't want to get dropped.
    >
    > Anyone done this event? Is it brutal? Am I going to get my ass kicked? Would my time be better
    > spent just riding all day instead?

    You're going to get your ass kicked. Spring is the peak of the season in Arizona. The summer is too
    hot for them to ride so everyone peaks for the Spring races.

  3. I don't know about hte Tucson Bicycle Classic but my first question would be what category are you
    and how long are your events?

    If you are pro/1/2 it's hard to get in shape without some major time on the road so you probably
    should just skip the race and train.

    If you are riding cat 5 or cat 4 you should be able to get in pretty good shape by spending some
    serious time on the indoor trainer. With good indoor trainer fitness you might be able to pull off
    something interesting in the race.

    Basically if your race is shorter then two hours you can train mostly on the indoor trainer and
    still expect to do reasonablly well.

    ....Mark

    > I am going to be in Tucson during the time of the Tucson Bicycle Classic (March 14-16).
    >
    > I live in the upper mid-west where we have 8" of snow on the ground now so my outside riding has
    > been minimal. I will have about two weeks of solid road time before I get to AZ and was wondering
    > if I should do this race.
    > would be racing just for fitness but I don't want to get dropped.
    >
    > Anyone done this event? Is it brutal? Am I going to get my ass kicked? Would my time be better
    > spent just riding all day instead?

  4. Bret Wade

    Bret Wade Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am going to be in Tucson during the time of the Tucson Bicycle Classic (March 14-16).
    >
    > I live in the upper mid-west where we have 8" of snow on the ground now so my outside riding has
    > been minimal. I will have about two weeks of solid road time before I get to AZ and was wondering
    > if I should do this race. I would be racing just for fitness but I don't want to get dropped.
    >
    > Anyone done this event? Is it brutal? Am I going to get my ass kicked? Would my time be better
    > spent just riding all day instead?

    It's a good race for training. I went there last year from CO and wasn't as far behind the sunbelt
    folks as I expected. The prologue TT is on a tough rolling course. Just be careful not to scorch
    your lungs in the dry air. The RR course only has one obstacle, the half mile steep section over
    Gates pass. If you're a good power climber, it's not hard to stay at the front or at least within
    chasing range for the long descent that follows. The circuit race has a long gradual grade with a
    few rollers. Hard enough to stretch things out and cause some attrition, but not really break things
    up. Certainly successful breaks (Jeanson) are possible, but the packs generally stay together.

    Bret

  5. No Pro

    No Pro Guest

    > > I am going to be in Tucson during the time of the Tucson Bicycle Classic (March 14-16).
    > >
    > > I live in the upper mid-west where we have 8" of snow on the ground now so my outside riding has
    > > been minimal. I will have about two weeks of solid road time before I get to AZ and was
    > > wondering if I should do this race.
    > > would be racing just for fitness but I don't want to get dropped.
    > >
    > > Anyone done this event? Is it brutal? Am I going to get my ass kicked? Would my time be better
    > > spent just riding all day instead?
    >

    > You're going to get your ass kicked. Spring is the peak of the season in Arizona. The summer is
    > too hot for them to ride so everyone peaks for the Spring races.

    I concur with Kurgan, you will get your ass kicked for reasons he listed. Also, it's a stage race.
    That's no place for someone who hasn't been training.

    I was in Tucson training back in January. It's a great place to ride.
    Enjoy the great weather, great scenery and get plenty of miles in.