Tucson carnage

Per Callistus Valerius:
>http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/158782.php
>
>just shocking all the carnage.....

Funny thing how if somebody walks out into the center square of a large city,
closes their eyes, and starts firing a shotgun at random it's a big deal and the
guy winds up in prison.

Yet when the same guy gets wasted and throws 5,000 pounds of steel around at
random they just slap his hand and tell him not to do that any more.
--
PeteCresswell

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
> Per Callistus Valerius:
> >http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/158782.php
> >
> >just shocking all the carnage.....

> Funny thing how if somebody walks out into the center square of a large city,
> closes their eyes, and starts firing a shotgun at random it's a big deal and the
> guy winds up in prison.
>
> Yet when the same guy gets wasted and throws 5,000 pounds of steel around at
> random they just slap his hand and tell him not to do that any more.

I am actually working on a letter to the editor of our local newspaper
about the agressive behavior of some drivers. Most motorists do an
acceptable job, many drive too close due to their own timidity in going
into the oncoming lane, or their own over-confidence in either their
own ability to avoid me or my ability to hold a straight line. But a
very small minority use thier vehicles in a threatening manner. Gunning
the engine, honking at inappropriate moments, etc. IMO this is using
the vehicle as a weapon and using it to threaten me. I called the cops
once and they didn't care. I wonder if they would care if I were to
walk around our local shopping mall swinging a hammer at the heads of
people doing things I don't approve of. Like say, chewing gum. I
wouldn't actually hit anyone, but I'd leave it up to them to get their
head out of the way.

This is of course different that a drunk. In such a case as this in
Arizona, I feel all the people who contributed to getting the
perpetrator's previous infractions minimized are complicit in this poor
man's death. Rare is the person who's rap sheet paints a picture as bad
or worse that the person actually is. Things get bargained down, and
whole episodes are never brought to light.

Joseph

> http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/158782.php
>
> just shocking all the carnage.....

Man, is this Girls Gone Wild the cyclocide edition?

A woman downloading cellphone ringtones and killing a rider, a woman DUI and
killing a rider, a woman putting on mascara and killing a rider next?

Sorry, not trying to sound sexist, but we boys used to dominate stupid ass
behavior across the board and we are losing ground!

> > just shocking all the carnage.....
> >

> Man, is this Girls Gone Wild the cyclocide edition?
>
> A woman downloading cellphone ringtones and killing a rider, a woman DUI

and
> killing a rider, a woman putting on mascara and killing a rider next?
>
> Sorry, not trying to sound sexist, but we boys used to dominate stupid ass
> behavior across the board and we are losing ground!

------------
Living in Arizona, I would say the most dangerous thing you could ever
see, is a woman leaving a tavern in her car, talking on a cell phone.
Usually they kill other motorists, motorcyclists, policemen, or pedestrians,
it was just a mtatter of time before a bicyclist was added to the list. The
two most recent that come to mind, was one woman who slammed into the back
of Arizona State Patrol Vehicle, burning the State Patrolman to death. And
the other was a woman who was drag racing some other women before she
slammed into the back of car turning left, killing two other women who were
going home from a party.

On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 07:45:46 GMT, "Bellsouth Ijit 2.0"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/158782.php
>>
>> just shocking all the carnage.....
>>

>Man, is this Girls Gone Wild the cyclocide edition?
>
>A woman downloading cellphone ringtones and killing a rider, a woman DUI and
>killing a rider, a woman putting on mascara and killing a rider next?
>
>Sorry, not trying to sound sexist, but we boys used to dominate stupid ass
>behavior across the board and we are losing ground!

Apparently I'm not the only one who has noticed a change in the
behavior of girls in general over the last two or three decades - the
auto insurance companies have also noticed. It used to be that teenage
girls were a lot cheaper to insure than boys of the same age, but that
has changed and the rates for girls are apparently approaching those
of boys.

Cheers,
Harry

HarryB wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 07:45:46 GMT, "Bellsouth Ijit 2.0"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >"Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >> http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/158782.php
> >>
> >> just shocking all the carnage.....
> >>

> >Man, is this Girls Gone Wild the cyclocide edition?
> >
> >A woman downloading cellphone ringtones and killing a rider, a woman DUI and
> >killing a rider, a woman putting on mascara and killing a rider next?
> >
> >Sorry, not trying to sound sexist, but we boys used to dominate stupid ass
> >behavior across the board and we are losing ground!
> >

> Apparently I'm not the only one who has noticed a change in the
> behavior of girls in general over the last two or three decades - the
> auto insurance companies have also noticed. It used to be that teenage
> girls were a lot cheaper to insure than boys of the same age, but that
> has changed and the rates for girls are apparently approaching those
> of boys.
>
> Cheers,
> Harry

I'll bet that is cuz boys are stupid, and girls are lousy drivers. (I'm
wearing my tinfoil hat.)

Joseph

[email protected] wrote in news:1165302293.235314.80330@
80g2000cwy.googlegroups.com:

> But a
> very small minority use thier vehicles in a threatening manner. Gunning
> the engine, honking at inappropriate moments, etc. IMO this is using
> the vehicle as a weapon and using it to threaten me. I called the cops
> once and they didn't care. I

Assuming you got the license plate number of the car, did you tell the cops
you want to file assault charges against the driver? I would insist that
they file charges of assault with a deadly weapon based on a driver gunning
the engine etc. It's an obvious threat and that's what assault is. If the
cops refuse, that's the time to bring it up with the local media.

Cheers,
David

On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 11:26:51 GMT, "Callistus Valerius"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>The
>two most recent that come to mind, was one woman who slammed into the back
>of Arizona State Patrol Vehicle, burning the State Patrolman to death

Wait, what? Do they still use Pintos as state patrol vehicles over there?

Jasper

On 5 Dec 2006 08:02:44 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>I'll bet that is cuz boys are stupid, and girls are lousy drivers. (I'm
>wearing my tinfoil hat.)

Boys are stupid and therefore lousy drivers, and girls are both lousy
drivers and getting more stupid all the time.

Jasper

Jasper Janssen wrote:

> The *reason* things get bargained down is that neither the prisons nor the
> courts have enough time and money to prosecute everything, so every couple
> of times a drunk driver plea bargains down is another murder trial they
> can stage.

Possession, not murder.

Dan

Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 wrote:
> "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/158782.php
> >
> > just shocking all the carnage.....
> >

> Man, is this Girls Gone Wild the cyclocide edition?
>
> A woman downloading cellphone ringtones and killing a rider, a woman DUI and
> killing a rider, a woman putting on mascara and killing a rider next?
>
> Sorry, not trying to sound sexist, but we boys used to dominate stupid ass
> behavior across the board and we are losing ground!

Where I ride it is the soccer moms who are most dangerous. I suspect
this is probably true of most cities across the United States. They
are the one with whom I've had the majority of the close calls *by
far.* If you ride between hours of 2:30-4:00 pm you are literally
putting your life in their hands.