Tucson Marathon

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Teresa Bippert-Plymate, Dec 5, 2005.

  1. Results will eventually be posted at: www.tucsonmarathon.com
    Probably around 30F at start, warming to high 50's or low 60's.

    Short Version:

    Unofficially, 3:58:11. Had a lot of equipment/weird problems.
    No PR, though still a BQ, and kept my Grand Prix lead.

    Long Version:

    I thought I was well-prepared. I'd packed and double-checked
    everything the night before. Had a big pasta dinner early, went
    to bed early and slept well. Made excellent time to the parking
    area, taking my "secret" back way in (and saw a huge line of
    lights backed up for miles the other way, hehe!) Followed a
    couple of stray vehicles to a side parking lot I didn't know
    existed, completely avoiding the parking mess. What a find!
    Boarded my bus, yakked with a lady from San Diego. The bus
    *did not* get lost this year, first time in two years. Bus pulls
    up in long line of buses, I use the porta-pot, then get back on
    and stay warm. Close to start, I get off and join the throngs
    walking forward to the start area. Go potty again. Take off
    sweats and put on my trash bag, head rag, and sock gloves. And
    discover I'd forgotten my sweat band. Darn. I always wear a terry-
    cloth sweat band when I run. In winter it covers my ears to keep
    them warm, in summer I pull the back end up to raise my hair up
    an inch above the neckline for air. Drop bag in drop bag bus.

    Anyway, I jog around about 10 mins to warm up some, so I can
    stretch my quad spot a little without worrying about injuring it.
    Everything feels OK. I joke with another guy wearing a "hobo
    outfit" like mine. The gun goes off right on time without tons
    of announcements etc delaying it. I start off slowly and easily
    (can't even jog until after the chip mat anyway, then only slowly
    for a bit due to the crowd). At one mile I have to pee. I find the
    most convenient-looking area to do it quickly. And I'm now warm
    enough to get rid of the trash bag. And then, during mile 3, I have
    to pee *again*! After that I get rid of the piece of fleece rag
    under my sunvisor I'd been using to keep warm. I felt I was at the
    crossover time where it would be better to let the heat out than
    hold it in. It's then that I discovered that the sun visor is
    too big without the forgotten sweat band. With the rag gone, it
    keeps slipping down over my eyes and I have to keep pushing it up.
    I slow a bit and see if I can adjust. It's already at it's smallest.
    I grab a hair tie and bundle up a ponytail, and it helps to have
    that to hold it in place, though it still slides down now and then.

    At mile four it's time to shed my turtleneck. I dug out an old
    white t-neck that was stretched and stained and could use to be
    retired. But it was tough, it was one of my old, comfy ones and I
    hated to just dump it. Though I guess it was an honorable retirement
    to go by way of marathon. And then, I had to pee AGAIN. This was
    getting quite annoying. I held until about mile 6 until I just had
    to find another bush. Around mile 7 the sock gloves went. And a wind
    started to pick up, coming from the right rear quarter. I thought
    "Oh good, a tailwind!" but the wind started causing problems. I had
    my race number mounted on a number belt, and the race number's holes
    didn't line up with the belt's so I'd made new holes. Well, I got the
    right one too big, and the wind's whipping the number around made it
    come out of the snaps. Repeatedly. Another mistake I made, I brought
    the cell phone so I could call Claude afterwards to arrange lunch. I
    put the phone on the number belt in the small of my back. It kept
    trying to travel all around my body, making the number shift all over
    too. So I'm trying to race a marathon, as I'm pushing up a sliding
    sun visor, and constantly turning a number belt, and reattaching the
    number. I was very annoyed at myself for all this silliness. Oh, and
    at mile 9 I had to pee again. But that was the last time. And this
    time I ran out through some brambles. I looked like I'd lost a war
    with a cat, I'd scratched my legs up so much another runner asked I
    I knew my leg was bleeding. ARgh!! Around mile 10 I was getting a
    rub spot under an arm (I was wearing a sleeveless running shirt), so
    I grabbed my little sample tube of Aquaphor to salve it. (I was
    wearing my shorts with back pockets). In the process of getting it
    out, I dropped a gel pack and knocked the phone off, into the highway
    lane! Luckily no one was there and ran it over before I stopped,
    turned around, and retrieved it. Also stopped and got the gel pack.

    This is all not very condusive to concentrating on one's running.
    My pace was all over the board, and I was thinking more about all
    the stuff staying in place than about the race! I tried to snap the
    paper (tyvek I think) into the belt without luck. Finally, around
    maybe mile 14 I slowed way down, put a lot of muscle into it, and
    snapped it through the paper. It then never came off again. One
    solved. Oh, and did I mention that when I made the ponytail I missed
    some strands, which then, due to the wind, kept blowing into my
    mouth? Har!

    For a little bit I actually though about the running again. I had
    been now and then going through the relax sequence. Probably around
    mile 17 my hams tightened up some, and I was then keeping some notice
    of them so they wouldn't cramp like they did in the 10-mile race.
    So far all the eating and drinking had gone perfectly. My stomach was
    as fine as could be. Of course, my quads were getting pretty tired and
    beat (it's a net downhill course), but so far much better than in the
    past. One more wonderful goof, grabbing for some gels from the Clif
    folks (around mile 20), I dropped them. What's with all the klutz
    today?? I pick them up and go. The Clif folks also had their new
    Clif Bloks out and I took two and ate them. These are GREAT- they are
    electrolyte replacement in an organic gummy cube. They taste good
    and my stomach liked them too. I actually felt better and more
    energetic after the cubes. Anyway, for a bit I am able to pick it
    up some, and actually concentrate on the race. I've realized long
    ago that a PR is completely out of the picture, but I am still within
    the BQ. I just have to come in under 4:00. This was actually the best
    finish I've ever had in a marathon. I usually fade badly the last
    miles, this time I kept about the same. I was *passing* people, which
    is unusual!! And I encouraged a few that I'd talked to earlier that
    were fading. I even had quite the decent sprint finish, passing
    four guys in the last 0.2 miles. One even yelled out "hey, not
    fair!"

    So I'm calling this a real learning experience. No cell phones. Snap
    the number in through the paper, forget the holes. Don't forget the
    sweat band. Don't overhydrate, if possible. It wasn't my body that
    was the failing this time, it was the mind. I wasn't concentrating
    on the race, I was futzing with all the little annoyances. I am of
    course stiff and sore today, but MUCH less than usual. One small toe
    blister, one small rub spot, right hip (prob ITB) is a little sore,
    scratched legs. That's it. No real injuries. I expect to be 100% really
    soon. Though does make me wonder how I might have done had I been
    concentrating on the race!

    Splits:
    9:23
    9:04
    9:02
    9:08
    8:23
    9:00
    8:24
    8:44
    9:09
    8:55
    9:06
    9:14
    9:21
    9:31
    9:03
    9:25
    8:38
    8:42
    8:39
    9:22
    9:48
    8:54
    9:34
    9:23
    9:06

    avg pace ~9:05 or 6

    Thanks for reading!

    Teresa in AZ (W 45-49 in case you're wondering)

    Tags:

  2. congrats T. and can't complain anytime you BQ. good for you. i read
    about this race...a rarity happend....a first time marathoner won the
    race. Digennaro, 2 hours, 28 minutes...and get this, it was also the
    first marathon for his fiancee, Burawski, who won the women's title in
    2:53:03.

    2 first time marathoners who happen to be engaged to be married...now
    that's a twist.

  3. Thanks Lance! And no, I actually haven't gotten a report on the
    results. The local paper doesn't have a story in the sports section,
    though may have one elsewhere, haven't had time to look yet. That's
    very cool! I did find out my official chip time was 3:58:08. I haven't
    been able to get a full list yet and see who did what and what freinds
    did and where I placed etc.

    Teresa in AZ (who climbed the stairs to 4th floor office!!)

    [email protected] wrote:

    > congrats T. and can't complain anytime you BQ. good for you. i read
    > about this race...a rarity happend....a first time marathoner won the
    > race. Digennaro, 2 hours, 28 minutes...and get this, it was also the
    > first marathon for his fiancee, Burawski, who won the women's title in
    > 2:53:03.
    >
    > 2 first time marathoners who happen to be engaged to be married...now
    > that's a twist.

  4. Ylan Segal

    Ylan Segal Guest

    Teresa Bippert-Plymate wrote:
    > Short Version:
    >
    > Unofficially, 3:58:11. Had a lot of equipment/weird problems.
    > No PR, though still a BQ, and kept my Grand Prix lead.

    How frustrating that you had so many issues. However, you did manage to
    finish strong, BQ and keep your lead. That sounds to me like a very good
    marathon. Congratulations!!

    --
    Ylan

    "The universe is not required to be in
    perfect harmony with human ambition"
    - Attributed to Carl Sagan

  5. Ed Prochak

    Ed Prochak Guest

    Teresa Bippert-Plymate wrote:
    > Results will eventually be posted at: www.tucsonmarathon.com
    > Probably around 30F at start, warming to high 50's or low 60's.
    >
    > Short Version:
    >
    > Unofficially, 3:58:11. Had a lot of equipment/weird problems.
    > No PR, though still a BQ, and kept my Grand Prix lead.

    []

    > avg pace ~9:05 or 6
    >
    > Thanks for reading!
    >
    > Teresa in AZ (W 45-49 in case you're wondering)

    Did maybe all the non-running problmes distract you enough to have a
    lower effort first half so you could pass those folks as you approached
    the finish? You obviouslu have done enough things right to overcome
    the problems.

    Congrats on your BQ time.

    Ed

  6. marko

    marko Guest

    Teresa Bippert-Plymate wrote:
    > Unofficially, 3:58:11. Had a lot of equipment/weird problems.
    > No PR, though still a BQ, and kept my Grand Prix lead.

    Congratulations Teresa, good that you managed to get a BQ despite so
    much hindrances during the race!
    Isn't it great to pass people before the finish?
    I guess the fact that you feel so good after the race is a very good
    sign for your planned ultra in Jan!

  7. sofa spud

    sofa spud Guest

    Fantastic work against the odds - a very entertaining report too though I
    bet it didn't seem too funny at the time .

    Well done indeed!

  8. Thanks Ylan (BTW, cool name...)

    Ylan Segal wrote:

    > Teresa Bippert-Plymate wrote:
    >
    >>Short Version:
    >>
    >>Unofficially, 3:58:11. Had a lot of equipment/weird problems.
    >>No PR, though still a BQ, and kept my Grand Prix lead.
    >>

    > How frustrating that you had so many issues. However, you did manage to
    > finish strong, BQ and keep your lead. That sounds to me like a very good
    > marathon. Congratulations!!

    Next time no futzing issues! But yes, I am still satisfied with the
    outcome. Thanks!

    Teresa in AZ

  9. Thanks Ed!

    Ed Prochak wrote:

    > Teresa Bippert-Plymate wrote:
    >
    >>Unofficially, 3:58:11. Had a lot of equipment/weird problems.
    >>No PR, though still a BQ, and kept my Grand Prix lead.
    >>avg pace ~9:05 or 6

    Official chip time: 3:58:08

    > Did maybe all the non-running problmes distract you enough to have a
    > lower effort first half so you could pass those folks as you approached
    > the finish? You obviouslu have done enough things right to overcome
    > the problems.
    >
    > Congrats on your BQ time.
    >
    > Ed

    It did keep me from going too fast at the start, a problem I do have.
    Got results, the first half was a slow 2:04:38, so it was quite the
    negative split at least. But I was futzing with things (and having
    to stop and pee) more in the first half than the second. I'm sure
    that did help in having some zip left at the end.

    Teresa in AZ

  10. Thanks Marko!

    Yeah, I am kinda feeling pretty positive about the ultra now.
    And it was great to actually pass people at the end rather
    than being passed. I just didn't feel like death warmed over
    at the finish, like usual.

    And thanks for the Hadd link, I printed out the pages and
    am starting to digest the info!

    Teresa in AZ

    marko wrote:

    > Teresa Bippert-Plymate wrote:
    >
    >> Unofficially, 3:58:11. Had a lot of equipment/weird problems.
    >> No PR, though still a BQ, and kept my Grand Prix lead.

    > Congratulations Teresa, good that you managed to get a BQ despite so
    > much hindrances during the race!
    > Isn't it great to pass people before the finish?
    > I guess the fact that you feel so good after the race is a very good
    > sign for your planned ultra in Jan!

  11. Thanks Spud_

    Though I am giggling about it now! Seems so silly.

    Another unplanned funny: When I got home, I was getting
    ready to de-salt myself in the shower, and my husband was standing
    there talking to me about the race. I was checking myself for
    blisters and rub spots. I took my sports bra off, expecting to see
    a few rub spots, but not! So I blurted out "Those look good!". He
    spit up his cola, then said "gee, we're not proud, are we?" And we
    both had a good laugh.

    Teresa in AZ

    sofa spud wrote:

    > Fantastic work against the odds - a very entertaining report too though I
    > bet it didn't seem too funny at the time .
    >
    > Well done indeed!

  12. Dan Stumpus

    Dan Stumpus Guest

    "Teresa Bippert-Plymate" <[email protected]> wrote

    > ...And discover I'd forgotten my sweat band. Darn. I always wear a terry-
    > cloth sweat band when I run. In winter it covers my ears to keep
    > them warm, in summer I pull the back end up to raise my hair up
    > an inch above the neckline for air. Drop bag in drop bag bus.

    I wonder if it's possible to get everything right? The ones who seem to do
    that travel light: Shoes, shorts, top, period. I make a checklist. And
    in the dark craziness before a race still manage to forget a thing or
    three...

    ....[numerous travails snipped]

    This is good stuff in the lessons learned dept which will help you in the
    ultra.
    It's a much more relaxed environment, and even multiple pit stops won't
    worry you.

    > Finally, around
    > maybe mile 14 I slowed way down, put a lot of muscle into it, and
    > snapped it through the paper. It then never came off again. One
    > solved. Oh, and did I mention that when I made the ponytail I missed
    > some strands, which then, due to the wind, kept blowing into my
    > mouth? Har!

    Folks in ultras commonly take a couple of minutes at aid stations to fix
    stuff like that, beg for supplies, etc.

    >... I've realized long
    > ago that a PR is completely out of the picture, but I am still within
    > the BQ. I just have to come in under 4:00. This was actually the best
    > finish I've ever had in a marathon. I usually fade badly the last
    > miles, this time I kept about the same. I was *passing* people, which
    > is unusual!! And I encouraged a few that I'd talked to earlier that
    > were fading. I even had quite the decent sprint finish, passing
    > four guys in the last 0.2 miles. One even yelled out "hey, not
    > fair!"

    Excellent! Remember the "feel" of those early miles for future 'thons...

    > I am of
    > course stiff and sore today, but MUCH less than usual. One small toe
    > blister, one small rub spot, right hip (prob ITB) is a little sore,
    > scratched legs. That's it. No real injuries. I expect to be 100% really
    > soon.

    Nice work. Congrats, and you'll have a good time at your ultra (a 50k?
    which one?)

    -- Dan

  13. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    Teresa - nice one - especially given all those annoyances.

    Regarding hydration - my tried and tested method is to drink as much as you
    want beforehand (the more the better), and to stop drinking 2 hours before
    the race. During these 2 hours you will get rid of any excess fluid.
    Start drinking again about 5 minutes before the start, and drink lots
    (sports drink is best) during the race. Never had a toilet break in a race.

    Congrats on the BQ and your Grand Prix status -
    How far were you off your PR, and did you think before the race that you had
    a realistic chance to beat it?

    Anthony.

  14. Dot

    Dot Guest

    Teresa Bippert-Plymate wrote:
    > Results will eventually be posted at: www.tucsonmarathon.com
    > Probably around 30F at start, warming to high 50's or low 60's.
    >
    > Short Version:
    >
    > Unofficially, 3:58:11. Had a lot of equipment/weird problems.
    > No PR, though still a BQ, and kept my Grand Prix lead.

    Congratulations, Teresa. Sounds like you pulled a decent run out in
    spite of an assortment of issues. But you're in good company: Matt
    Carpenter commented about the "newbie mistakes" he made when he broke
    the San Juan Solstice record last year. (although he did make up for it)

    I enjoyed reading your report. All the little things that can and do go
    wrong. ;) As already mentioned, that may have kept your effort level
    under control early on.

    >I tried to snap the
    > paper (tyvek I think) into the belt without luck. Finally, around
    > maybe mile 14 I slowed way down, put a lot of muscle into it, and
    > snapped it through the paper. It then never came off again. One
    > solved.

    I've gotten so I really hate bib numbers. About half my races this year
    didn't use numbers. I've got a number belt also with the snaps the wrong
    distance. I may just use safety pin for one of the corners. Or just pin
    to waist belt of whatever I'm using for hydration.

    > The Clif folks also had their new
    > Clif Bloks out and I took two and ate them. These are GREAT- they are
    > electrolyte replacement in an organic gummy cube. They taste good
    > and my stomach liked them too.

    I've noticed a number of people like those new Bloks. They would
    certainly eliminate the hassles of gels, which I don't use. And
    depending on what they do in subzero F weather, they might not break
    teeth in winter.

    > I was *passing* people, which
    > is unusual!! And I encouraged a few that I'd talked to earlier that
    > were fading. I even had quite the decent sprint finish, passing
    > four guys in the last 0.2 miles. One even yelled out "hey, not
    > fair!"

    Good on ya!! Show 'em how it's done :)

    > So I'm calling this a real learning experience.

    Aren't they all? ;)

    Congratulations again! Sounds like you had a fun time and should be
    ready for your first ultra. Good luck.

    Dot

    --
    "A winner is just a loser who tried one more time." -Captain George M.
    Moore, Jr., United States Air Force (retired),

  15. Dan Stumpus wrote:

    > "Teresa Bippert-Plymate" <[email protected]> wrote
    >>...And discover I'd forgotten my sweat band. Darn. I always wear a terry-

    > I wonder if it's possible to get everything right? The ones who seem to do
    > that travel light: Shoes, shorts, top, period. I make a checklist. And
    > in the dark craziness before a race still manage to forget a thing or
    > three...

    I should have made a list. I'd brought a lot of extraneous things that
    I didn't need and were left in the drop bag, but forget one item I
    really needed. I think I will make a list for marathons now!

    > This is good stuff in the lessons learned dept which will help you in the
    > ultra.
    > It's a much more relaxed environment, and even multiple pit stops won't
    > worry you.

    Yay! That's what I would think it would be like.

    >>finish I've ever had in a marathon. I usually fade badly the last
    >>miles, this time I kept about the same. I was *passing* people, which
    >>is unusual!! And I encouraged a few that I'd talked to earlier that
    >>were fading. I even had quite the decent sprint finish, passing
    >>four guys in the last 0.2 miles. One even yelled out "hey, not
    >>fair!"

    > Excellent! Remember the "feel" of those early miles for future 'thons...

    Yep! Or maybe hire a pacer? ;-)

    >>scratched legs. That's it. No real injuries. I expect to be 100% really
    >>soon.

    > Nice work. Congrats, and you'll have a good time at your ultra (a 50k?
    > which one?)
    >
    > -- Dan

    Thanks Dan!
    It's 38.5 miles. See
    http://www.journeyheretothere.com/the_ghost_town_38_5.htm

    Now I just have to convince hubby that we're heading to NM in January!

    Teresa in AZ

  16. Dot wrote:

    > Teresa Bippert-Plymate wrote:
    >> Unofficially, 3:58:11. Had a lot of equipment/weird problems.
    >> No PR, though still a BQ, and kept my Grand Prix lead.

    >> Congratulations, Teresa. Sounds like you pulled a decent run out in

    > spite of an assortment of issues. But you're in good company: Matt
    > Carpenter commented about the "newbie mistakes" he made when he broke
    > the San Juan Solstice record last year. (although he did make up for it)
    > I enjoyed reading your report. All the little things that can and do go
    > wrong. ;) As already mentioned, that may have kept your effort level
    > under control early on.

    Thanks Dot! It truly was a learning experience. SHows you can still
    blow it even after six marathons! :-0

    >> I tried to snap the
    >> paper (tyvek I think) into the belt without luck. Finally, around

    > I've gotten so I really hate bib numbers. About half my races this year
    > didn't use numbers. I've got a number belt also with the snaps the wrong
    > distance. I may just use safety pin for one of the corners. Or just pin
    > to waist belt of whatever I'm using for hydration.

    I did find that you can force it to snap in the paper, and that holds
    it really tightly. I think I'll do that next time and just forget about
    holes. But do it at home, perhaps with a rubber mallet, as it takes a
    bit of umph.

    >> The Clif folks also had their new
    >> Clif Bloks out and I took two and ate them. These are GREAT- they are

    > I've noticed a number of people like those new Bloks. They would
    > certainly eliminate the hassles of gels, which I don't use. And
    > depending on what they do in subzero F weather, they might not break
    > teeth in winter.

    My stomach though they were fine, and you get your electrolytes. I
    hadn't been able to get any Suceed locally and wanted some sort of
    electro replacement, and here they had these. I took the chance and
    had two, and my body really liked it. So I think they'll become my
    "salt pills", though I still will take the gels for carbs.

    >> I was *passing* people, which

    > Good on ya!! Show 'em how it's done :)

    It did feel good to be able to speed up at the end this time.

    >> So I'm calling this a real learning experience.

    > Aren't they all? ;)

    No kidding!!

    > Congratulations again! Sounds like you had a fun time and should be
    > ready for your first ultra. Good luck.
    >
    > Dot

    Thanks, I really am looking forward to it. I do hope the weather is
    decent, as you all know I'm a weenie when it's really cold!

    Teresa in AZ

  17. Hi Anthony- and thanks!

    Anthony wrote:

    > Teresa - nice one - especially given all those annoyances.
    >
    > Regarding hydration - my tried and tested method is to drink as much as you
    > want beforehand (the more the better), and to stop drinking 2 hours before
    > the race. During these 2 hours you will get rid of any excess fluid.
    > Start drinking again about 5 minutes before the start, and drink lots
    > (sports drink is best) during the race. Never had a toilet break in a race.

    That's not far off from what I did, believe it or not. At 5:30 I'm
    pulling into parking and getting a bus. We arrived and I did have a half
    cup of water around 6:45 after eating a half Clif bar. But went to the
    PP twice. I did drink a lot the day before, but you'd think it would
    have gotten out by then!! (Race starts at 7:30, btw)

    > Congrats on the BQ and your Grand Prix status -
    > How far were you off your PR, and did you think before the race that you had
    > a realistic chance to beat it?
    >
    > Anthony.

    My PR is 3:49:41 from 2002. And that was the year we had pacing teams
    here. Hmmmm. I was doing fine in training and had run some PRs in other
    races (I've been racing since 2001), so I thought I had a chance, if
    all the planets aligned etc. The race predictors, that use times
    extrapolated from other races, said I could possibly go as fast as
    3:43. But of course, I knew that *everything* needed to go just so if
    it was to happen. I feel like it's in there somewhere, I just need to
    coax it out.

    Teresa in AZ

  18. Tony S.

    Tony S. Guest

    "Teresa Bippert-Plymate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Results will eventually be posted at: www.tucsonmarathon.com
    > Probably around 30F at start, warming to high 50's or low 60's.
    >
    > Short Version:
    >
    > Unofficially, 3:58:11. Had a lot of equipment/weird problems.
    > No PR, though still a BQ, and kept my Grand Prix lead.

    Now that's a really bad hair day! Congrats on a BQ, good job Teresa, with
    lots of distractions. Make a checklist next time so you don't forget
    anything like head band. Peeing more in cold weather is normal, but 4 times
    is way too much. You learned some lessons and will be ready for your 38.5!

    -Tony

  19. Tony S.

    Tony S. Guest

    "Teresa Bippert-Plymate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Thanks Spud_
    >
    > Though I am giggling about it now! Seems so silly.
    >
    > Another unplanned funny: When I got home, I was getting
    > ready to de-salt myself in the shower, and my husband was standing
    > there talking to me about the race. I was checking myself for
    > blisters and rub spots. I took my sports bra off, expecting to see
    > a few rub spots, but not! So I blurted out "Those look good!". He
    > spit up his cola, then said "gee, we're not proud, are we?" And we
    > both had a good laugh.

    Ahem! Now where did you say those race photos were posted? ;)

    -Tony

    > Teresa in AZ
    >
    > sofa spud wrote:
    >
    > > Fantastic work against the odds - a very entertaining report too though

    > > bet it didn't seem too funny at the time .
    > >
    > > Well done indeed!

  20. Sorry Tony, Claude's hands were full (with *cola!) right then.
    No pics. ;-)

    Teresa in AZ