Tucson Marathon

Been meaning to say:

Wooooooooooooo hoooooooooooooooooo!

Way to go!
--
Brian P. Baresch
Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Professional editing and proofreading

If you're going through hell, keep going. --Winston Churchill

Teresa Bippert-Plymate wrote:

> [bike seat problems]

It's mainly getting used to it. If you ride all the time, it stops
hurting. But(t?), then, other things happen ... it's just not natural,
no matter how you slice it.

> Thanks, but won't make Boston this year, have other plans. One
> of these days....

Ultra? You are worthy, worthy indeed.

I don't know if it's true, but my dad (who BQ'd at Tucson a few yrs
back) thinks he diverted his result for a year, which, if true,
suggests you could sit on the result until '07 ... which would be more
comfortable than a Flite SLR saddle, to be sure.

John

Teresa Bippert-Plymate wrote:

> Interesting! That's something I will try. Thanks, Phil!

I'm not saying it will work, but it's something to try maybe on a 20+
mile run. It also might be good to experiment with them as you head
into the realm of ultra running. I've never taken S! caps pre-run, but
I've never had the issue you had during the marathon. I usually will
take one about a half hour to an hour into the run, then every hour
after that. I don't use them on runs lasting less than 3 hours, unless
it is 90°+ heat heat and I'm sweating buckets and drinking buckets.

You can get S! caps here - http://tinyurl.com/62mrd. I ordered a bottle
in July '04 and still have half of it left.

--
Phil M.

John Derby wrote:

> Teresa Bippert-Plymate wrote:
>>[bike seat problems]

> It's mainly getting used to it. If you ride all the time, it stops
> hurting. But(t?), then, other things happen ... it's just not natural,
> no matter how you slice it.

That's part of the problem, I ride for awhile then quit, ride, quit...
must get into a steady state.

>>Thanks, but won't make Boston this year, have other plans. One
>>of these days....

> Ultra? You are worthy, worthy indeed.

At a very easy pace. Just to see if I can do it...

> I don't know if it's true, but my dad (who BQ'd at Tucson a few yrs
> back) thinks he diverted his result for a year, which, if true,
> suggests you could sit on the result until '07 ... which would be more
> comfortable than a Flite SLR saddle, to be sure.
>
> John

Yep, Tucson does give two year's worth of BQ, so I am qualified for
2007 also. I think that may be why it seems most of the runners here
seem to be from out-of-state, tyring to get a BQ.

Flites's don't work for me at all! The best is the Terry
Butterfly, even tho' I hate the way it looks.

Teresa in AZ

Thanks Brian, from the both us of I assume? Glad to
see you back on the boards again, haven't seen a lot
of you lately!

Teresa in AZ

Brian Baresch wrote:

> Been meaning to say:
>
> Wooooooooooooo hoooooooooooooooooo!
>
> Way to go!

>Thanks Brian, from the both us of I assume? Glad to
>see you back on the boards again, haven't seen a lot
>of you lately!

I haven't been running much this year. Lost motivation after Boston.
Gonna try to get out there today.
--
Brian P. Baresch
Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Professional editing and proofreading

If you're going through hell, keep going. --Winston Churchill

Teresa,
Interesting and amusing account of your run!
I ran the half-marathon along with my two brothers
and two sisters. Ages 46 to 55. Luckily,none of us had any bodily
function or equipment issues(we'd admit to). I ran in poly-pro long
sleeve shirt,shorts,light pair of gloves and nothing on my head but
hair. Nippy before the start, but I warmed up quickly.
Much better than last year before the race,with all huddling around
heaters in a cold drizzle!

It was a great place to get together for a family reunion.
Coming from PA, a few days of 70 degree weather was luxurious.
We went out to the Desert Museum, which was awesome!
During the Raptor Free Flight, hawks were swooping within inches of my
head! At 6'6", I'm just happy they chose the nearest sagauro cactus to
perch on and not my head.

Overall, I thought the run was well-organized and staff very friendly.
I can only quibble about the buses not leaving from the hotel this year
and the unripe bananas at the finish. Pretty minor complaints.
After missing me in the Clydesdale results, they were nice enough to
re-post. At 1:56.28, it was a PR for me by 5 minutes!

I wrote a corny limerick to commemorate our trip:

If siblings Jackie, Jeanne, Steve, Pete and Phil
Can run 13 miles, (though it's mostly downhill).

In spite of age, bad hips and sore knees
That seems better than most family trees

So, let's have a toast and a glucosamine pill!

Best of luck to all.
Pete LaBerge

> [...]
> as fine as could be. Of course, my quads were getting pretty tired and
> beat (it's a net downhill course), but so far much better than in the
> past. One more wonderful goof, grabbing for some gels from the Clif
> folks (around mile 20), I dropped them. What's with all the klutz
> today?? I pick them up and go. The Clif folks also had their new
> Clif Bloks out and I took two and ate them. These are GREAT- they are
> electrolyte replacement in an organic gummy cube. They taste good
> and my stomach liked them too. I actually felt better and more
> energetic after the cubes. Anyway, for a bit I am able to pick it
> up some, and actually concentrate on the race. I've realized long
> ago that a PR is completely out of the picture, but I am still within
> the BQ. I just have to come in under 4:00. This was actually the best
> finish I've ever had in a marathon. I usually fade badly the last
> miles, this time I kept about the same. I was *passing* people, which
> is unusual!! And I encouraged a few that I'd talked to earlier that
> were fading. I even had quite the decent sprint finish, passing
> four guys in the last 0.2 miles. One even yelled out "hey, not
> fair!"
>
> So I'm calling this a real learning experience. No cell phones. Snap
> the number in through the paper, forget the holes. Don't forget the
> sweat band. Don't overhydrate, if possible. It wasn't my body that
> was the failing this time, it was the mind. I wasn't concentrating
> on the race, I was futzing with all the little annoyances. I am of
> course stiff and sore today, but MUCH less than usual. One small toe
> blister, one small rub spot, right hip (prob ITB) is a little sore,
> scratched legs. That's it. No real injuries. I expect to be 100% really
> soon. Though does make me wonder how I might have done had I been
> concentrating on the race!
>
> Splits:
> 9:23
> 9:04
> 9:02
> 9:08
> 8:23
> 9:00
> 8:24
> 8:44
> 9:09
> 8:55
> 9:06
> 9:14
> 9:21
> 9:31
> 9:03
> 9:25
> 8:38
> 8:42
> 8:39
> 9:22
> 9:48
> 8:54
> 9:34
> 9:23
> 9:06
>
> avg pace ~9:05 or 6
>
> Thanks for reading!
>
> Teresa in AZ (W 45-49 in case you're wondering)

Good luck! Sounds like you need to choose a race somewhere
beautiful and exotic...

Teresa in AZ

Brian Baresch wrote:
>>Thanks Brian, from the both us of I assume? Glad to
>>see you back on the boards again, haven't seen a lot
>>of you lately!

> I haven't been running much this year. Lost motivation after Boston.
> Gonna try to get out there today.

Wow, congrats Pete! I like the poem. It's great you got to have
a family reunion race, I only dream of such an event (a lot of my
family is obese :-()And big congrats on the PR! Yes, it was
*much* warmer this year than last. My husband's run the half
several times and made comments about the big huddle. For the
full we get to keep our buses, which is nice. (Anyway, they
can't leave until we do!)

I agree about the race, it's pretty well-run and organized,
but I too was a bit unhappy with the green bananas. A banana
sounded good, but not a green one!

Give my kudos to your relatives too!

Teresa in AZ

PS- Yes, the Desert Museum is the #1 attraction I usually tell
folks to visit when they're here.