Tucson Marathon

Tony S. wrote:

> "Teresa Bippert-Plymate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Unofficially, 3:58:11. Had a lot of equipment/weird problems.
>>No PR, though still a BQ, and kept my Grand Prix lead.

> Now that's a really bad hair day! Congrats on a BQ, good job Teresa, with
> lots of distractions. Make a checklist next time so you don't forget
> anything like head band. Peeing more in cold weather is normal, but 4 times
> is way too much. You learned some lessons and will be ready for your 38.5!
>
> -Tony

Thanks Tony! It was a weird one. But did learn a bunch of things. But I
didn't know it's normal to pee more in cold weather.

Results are now at active.com, my official chip time was 3:58:08, and
I was 16/62 in AG, 147/663 for women, and 550/1029 overall. Age-grade
of 64.00. Due to the age effect, this wava is only 0.65 lower than the
wava from my PR in 2002. So that helps me feel better.

Teresa in AZ

Good grief---can you have more go wrong and still run a decent race?!

Nice job...as you wrote it sounds like you've learned quite a bit of
what *to* do and what *not* to do. Funny how we think "such and such"
will work as we jog around the block and forget that over the course of
a long day that "such and such" can prove to be disastrous.

I hate the race belts with the snaps...if you can, find the ones that
have the dealies on them to where you slide the number on a thin strap
and then secure it with the spring-loaded clasp (yeah, these are real
technical terms). Hopefully that makes sense....

Again, though, well done and way to mentally hang in there with all the
issues you were dealing with. Be proud of that as well as the physical
effort!

Mike C

Teresa Bippert-Plymate wrote:
> [...]
> as fine as could be. Of course, my quads were getting pretty tired and
> beat (it's a net downhill course), but so far much better than in the
> past. One more wonderful goof, grabbing for some gels from the Clif
> folks (around mile 20), I dropped them. What's with all the klutz
> today?? I pick them up and go. The Clif folks also had their new
> Clif Bloks out and I took two and ate them. These are GREAT- they are
> electrolyte replacement in an organic gummy cube. They taste good
> and my stomach liked them too. I actually felt better and more
> energetic after the cubes. Anyway, for a bit I am able to pick it
> up some, and actually concentrate on the race. I've realized long
> ago that a PR is completely out of the picture, but I am still within
> the BQ. I just have to come in under 4:00. This was actually the best
> finish I've ever had in a marathon. I usually fade badly the last
> miles, this time I kept about the same. I was *passing* people, which
> is unusual!! And I encouraged a few that I'd talked to earlier that
> were fading. I even had quite the decent sprint finish, passing
> four guys in the last 0.2 miles. One even yelled out "hey, not
> fair!"
>
> So I'm calling this a real learning experience. No cell phones. Snap
> the number in through the paper, forget the holes. Don't forget the
> sweat band. Don't overhydrate, if possible. It wasn't my body that
> was the failing this time, it was the mind. I wasn't concentrating
> on the race, I was futzing with all the little annoyances. I am of
> course stiff and sore today, but MUCH less than usual. One small toe
> blister, one small rub spot, right hip (prob ITB) is a little sore,
> scratched legs. That's it. No real injuries. I expect to be 100% really
> soon. Though does make me wonder how I might have done had I been
> concentrating on the race!
>
> Splits:
> 9:23
> 9:04
> 9:02
> 9:08
> 8:23
> 9:00
> 8:24
> 8:44
> 9:09
> 8:55
> 9:06
> 9:14
> 9:21
> 9:31
> 9:03
> 9:25
> 8:38
> 8:42
> 8:39
> 9:22
> 9:48
> 8:54
> 9:34
> 9:23
> 9:06
>
> avg pace ~9:05 or 6
>
> Thanks for reading!
>
> Teresa in AZ (W 45-49 in case you're wondering)

Thanks Mike-

Hmmm, I don't know exactly what you mean about the number belt, but
I'll go to a tri store site and find out! I'm sure when I see it I'll
know what you mean. This one I won, so I thought I'd get some use
out of it.

One good aspect of all the futzing around is that I don't even remember
parts of the race! The "goes on forever" middle section is just a blur!

Teresa in AZ

Mike C wrote:

> [...]
>>9:00
>>8:24
>>8:44
>>9:09
>>8:55
>>9:06
>>9:14
>>9:21
>>9:31
>>9:03
>>9:25
>>8:38
>>8:42
>>8:39
>>9:22
>>9:48
>>8:54
>>9:34
>>9:23
>>9:06
>>
>>avg pace ~9:05 or 6
>>
>>Thanks for reading!
>>
>>Teresa in AZ (W 45-49 in case you're wondering)

What, I didn't do my usually incredibly eloquent job of describing the
number belt? Good grief! <g>

I'll hunt around a bit online to see if I can get a link for you with a
picture. Long story short, besides not having snaps to mess with, the
belt is set up so that it much better aligns with race numbers, making
them much, much easier to deal with.

And I suppose there's something to be said about the "disassociation"
aspects of dealing with things other than focusing on the race...gives
new meaning to "hey, it was a blur!"

Recover well!

> [...]

> >>9:00
> >>8:24
> >>8:44
> >>9:09
> >>8:55
> >>9:06
> >>9:14
> >>9:21
> >>9:31
> >>9:03
> >>9:25
> >>8:38
> >>8:42
> >>8:39
> >>9:22
> >>9:48
> >>8:54
> >>9:34
> >>9:23
> >>9:06
> >>
> >>avg pace ~9:05 or 6
> >>
> >>Thanks for reading!
> >>
> >>Teresa in AZ (W 45-49 in case you're wondering)

http://www.lane4swim.com/racenumberbelt.html

One example of what I'm trying to describe...!

> [...]

> >>9:00
> >>8:24
> >>8:44
> >>9:09
> >>8:55
> >>9:06
> >>9:14
> >>9:21
> >>9:31
> >>9:03
> >>9:25
> >>8:38
> >>8:42
> >>8:39
> >>9:22
> >>9:48
> >>8:54
> >>9:34
> >>9:23
> >>9:06
> >>
> >>avg pace ~9:05 or 6
> >>
> >>Thanks for reading!
> >>
> >>Teresa in AZ (W 45-49 in case you're wondering)

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 00:14:57 GMT, "Doug Freese" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> Yep! Or maybe hire a pacer? ;-)

>I'm available, send air fare. :)

Just drive your "76" AMC Pacer there Doug. You must be the only geek
alive who still owns one.

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 05:25:48 GMT, "Doug Freese" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I was so hoping it was a thong.
>
>-DF

And he likes them on overweight sumo wrestlers.

Teresa Bippert-Plymate wrote:

> Results will eventually be posted at: www.tucsonmarathon.com
> Probably around 30F at start, warming to high 50's or low 60's.

Sounds perfect. At least you didn't have to worry too much about that.

> Unofficially, 3:58:11. Had a lot of equipment/weird problems.
> No PR, though still a BQ, and kept my Grand Prix lead.

Any more Grand Prix events? Do you have some decent competition?

> I thought I was well-prepared.

Looks like you *were* well prepared as far as packing for the event,
etc. I'm wondering though about all your issues during the race. Did
any of these problems ever show up during your training? Do you do any
long training runs where you simulate your race, such as same gear,
clothing, accesories, etc.?

1. Bus pulls up in long line of buses, I use the porta-pot
2. walking forward to the start area. Go potty again.
3. At one mile I have to pee.
4. during mile 3, I have to pee *again*!
5. And then, I had to pee AGAIN.
6. Hh, and at mile 9 I had to pee again.

This must be an Olympic record, maybe a World record. Did you drink a
lot the night before? Like others said, this probably kept your pace in
check for the first half. But I bet that without all the pit stops you
would have had a chance at a PR.

> my race number mounted on a number belt, and the race number's holes
> didn't line up with the belt's so I'd made new holes.

Sometimes I have problems with race numbers. At the last 50K I pinned
it to the side of my shorts since that was one thing that wasn't coming
off (hopefully). That worked pretty well. I've seen other runners pin
it to their hat. I might try that next time. I don't know if I'd like
the belt. That is just one more piece of gear that I think I could live
without.

> Thanks for reading!

Thanks for the report. Congrats on the BQ and maintaining your Grand
Prix lead.

--
Phil M.

> Teresa in AZ (W 45-49 in case you're wondering)

HA! I missed catching you by 43 seconds! Congrats on your BQ in spite
of your many problems.

This being my first marathon, the only thing I can offer you is from
bike racing experience. I used to do a lot of double century bike
races, and had the same pee problem. What I do now is hydrate like mad
for three days, then stop drinking after dinner the night before (not
completely). Then, about 16oz per hour until 1 hour before the race,
then nothing. Doing this, I've never had the problem since, including
Tucson, where I took one stop on that long downhill stretch, and I had
two drinks at every single station.

Sure was a beautiful day out there.

John

Don't joke, I might just do that next December! ;-)

Newest development re the Tucson Marathon, I came down with
a cold on Tuesday morning.....which means I was likely incubating
the dammm thing when I ran the marathon! I can blame all my
problems on that!! (yeah right)

Teresa in AZ

Doug Freese wrote:
> "Teresa Bippert-Plymate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Yep! Or maybe hire a pacer? ;-)

> I'm available, send air fare. :)
>
> -DF

I think I found it, and it does look like a much better solution.
Looks like the race recovery (stiff muscles etc) is going great,
can pretty much run again now except I came down with a stupid
cold Tuesday morning. I guess that will force me to take a few
days more off! Maybe not a bad thing since I always start to get
itchy to run again. In fact, I'm already planning a short easy
one tomorrow night....

Teresa in AZ

Mike C wrote:

> What, I didn't do my usually incredibly eloquent job of describing the
> number belt? Good grief! <g>
>
> I'll hunt around a bit online to see if I can get a link for you with a
> picture. Long story short, besides not having snaps to mess with, the
> belt is set up so that it much better aligns with race numbers, making
> them much, much easier to deal with.
>
> And I suppose there's something to be said about the "disassociation"
> aspects of dealing with things other than focusing on the race...gives
> new meaning to "hey, it was a blur!"
>
> Recover well!
>
> Mike C
>
> Teresa Bippert-Plymate wrote:
>
>>Thanks Mike-
>>
>>Hmmm, I don't know exactly what you mean about the number belt, but
>>I'll go to a tri store site and find out! I'm sure when I see it I'll
>>know what you mean. This one I won, so I thought I'd get some use
>>out of it.
>>
>>One good aspect of all the futzing around is that I don't even remember
>>parts of the race! The "goes on forever" middle section is just a blur!
>>
>>Teresa in AZ
>>
>>Mike C wrote:
>>

>>>Good grief---can you have more go wrong and still run a decent race?!
>>>
>>>Nice job...as you wrote it sounds like you've learned quite a bit of
>>>what *to* do and what *not* to do. Funny how we think "such and such"
>>>will work as we jog around the block and forget that over the course of
>>>a long day that "such and such" can prove to be disastrous.
>>>
>>>I hate the race belts with the snaps...if you can, find the ones that
>>>have the dealies on them to where you slide the number on a thin strap
>>>and then secure it with the spring-loaded clasp (yeah, these are real
>>>technical terms). Hopefully that makes sense....
>>>
>>>Again, though, well done and way to mentally hang in there with all the
>>>issues you were dealing with. Be proud of that as well as the physical
>>>effort!
>>>
>>>Mike C

Yep, that's the one I found too! THanks!

Teresa in AZ

Mike C wrote:

> http://www.lane4swim.com/racenumberbelt.html
>
> One example of what I'm trying to describe...!
>
> Mike C
>

> Teresa Bippert-Plymate wrote:
>
>>Thanks Mike-
>>
>>Hmmm, I don't know exactly what you mean about the number belt, but
>>I'll go to a tri store site and find out! I'm sure when I see it I'll
>>know what you mean. This one I won, so I thought I'd get some use
>>out of it.
>>
>>One good aspect of all the futzing around is that I don't even remember
>>parts of the race! The "goes on forever" middle section is just a blur!
>>
>>Teresa in AZ
>>
>>Mike C wrote:
>>

>>>Good grief---can you have more go wrong and still run a decent race?!
>>>
>>>Nice job...as you wrote it sounds like you've learned quite a bit of
>>>what *to* do and what *not* to do. Funny how we think "such and such"
>>>will work as we jog around the block and forget that over the course of
>>>a long day that "such and such" can prove to be disastrous.
>>>
>>>I hate the race belts with the snaps...if you can, find the ones that
>>>have the dealies on them to where you slide the number on a thin strap
>>>and then secure it with the spring-loaded clasp (yeah, these are real
>>>technical terms). Hopefully that makes sense....
>>>
>>>Again, though, well done and way to mentally hang in there with all the
>>>issues you were dealing with. Be proud of that as well as the physical
>>>effort!
>>>
>>>Mike C

Hi Phil-

Phil M. wrote:

> Teresa Bippert-Plymate wrote:
>>Results will eventually be posted at: www.tucsonmarathon.com
>>Probably around 30F at start, warming to high 50's or low 60's.

> Sounds perfect. At least you didn't have to worry too much about that.

It was. Couldn't have asked for better weather this year.

>>Unofficially, 3:58:11. Had a lot of equipment/weird problems.
>>No PR, though still a BQ, and kept my Grand Prix lead.

> Any more Grand Prix events? Do you have some decent competition?

Nope, that was the last. Two in my age group were ahead of me, they
will take #1 and #2 in Overall Women's Master division. One of those
ladies is WAY FAST. The other is a goal to shoot for next year.
The woman behind me was close enough that I needed to not DNF the
marathon to hold the lead. Tucson has some really good Master's
runners, particularly in the Men's division. We're also getting quite
a few training camps with Kenyan runners. Eddie Halleybruke (sp?)
just moved his training camp here too.

>>I thought I was well-prepared.

> Looks like you *were* well prepared as far as packing for the event,
> etc. I'm wondering though about all your issues during the race. Did
> any of these problems ever show up during your training? Do you do any
> long training runs where you simulate your race, such as same gear,
> clothing, accesories, etc.?

I ran in the same exact clothes for the 23.5 mi training run. I do
occaionally need to "go" on training runs, but not like this! I did,
however, add the cell phone to the mix, and didn't know that the
sun visor without the sweat band doesn't work.

> 1. Bus pulls up in long line of buses, I use the porta-pot
> 2. walking forward to the start area. Go potty again.
> 3. At one mile I have to pee.
> 4. during mile 3, I have to pee *again*!
> 5. And then, I had to pee AGAIN.
> 6. Hh, and at mile 9 I had to pee again.
>
> This must be an Olympic record, maybe a World record. Did you drink a
> lot the night before? Like others said, this probably kept your pace in
> check for the first half. But I bet that without all the pit stops you
> would have had a chance at a PR.

I drank a lot the night before. As usual before a marathon, though.
Maybe the cold + excitement. But way more than "normal". I guess I
probably did lose a bit of time runnin' through the bushes!

>>my race number mounted on a number belt, and the race number's holes
>>didn't line up with the belt's so I'd made new holes.

> Sometimes I have problems with race numbers. At the last 50K I pinned
> it to the side of my shorts since that was one thing that wasn't coming
> off (hopefully). That worked pretty well. I've seen other runners pin
> it to their hat. I might try that next time. I don't know if I'd like
> the belt. That is just one more piece of gear that I think I could live
> without.

Except for the cell phone and hole thing the number belt was good. I
could quickly and easily snap it off when taking off a layer, then snap
it back on again. I just need to get rid of the cell phone completely,
and snap the number into it w/o the holes like I ended up doing during
the race, but beforehand. It's very light, you hardly know it's there
when the paper's not loose!

> Thanks for the report. Congrats on the BQ and maintaining your Grand
> Prix lead.

Thanks! Now to get rid of this %^&*( cold and start getting ready for
the ultra! Oh boy!

Teresa in AZ (already champing at the bit to start running again...)

Hi John! 43 seconds, I probably saw you!

Yeah, I think I need to rethink the hydration scheme. It worked
before but not this time!

It was a great day, nice weather, good support for a small race,
and less traffic than in the past on course.

Congrats on your first marathon!! Did you have a good race?

Teresa in AZ

[email protected] wrote:

> I drank a lot the night before. As usual before a marathon, though.
> Maybe the cold + excitement. But way more than "normal". I guess I
> probably did lose a bit of time runnin' through the bushes!

I just read on the ultra list about the cool weather and adrenalin causing
the need to urinate...

"If you are in a race, try taking one (Succeed! cap) just before
the race starts. It is not unusual to see guys pull off the
course early in the run to pee, losing time. This is primarily a
result of early hydration ( good ) and the adrenalin pumped out
in the excitement of the start. Taking an S! cap before the run
will cancel the need for the early pee. If that is not an issue
with you, take one at one hour or so."

--Karl King, Principal Scientist, Hach Homeland Security Technologies,
Loveland Colorado; the President of SUCCEED! Sportsdrink LLC, the
developer of S! Caps and other sports nutritionals, holds seven
patents relating to water quality measurement technology, is an ultra
runner, and former Race Director of the Ice Age Trail 50 Mile Run.

--
Phil M.

Teresa Bippert-Plymate wrote:

> Congrats on your first marathon!! Did you have a good race?

Thanks, I did have a good race. I ran the last 6.2 (relatively) fast,
and only had a short bad patch at 16-16.5. If you saw me, it would have
been at the end, when I came blasting past everyone who didn't run the
ridiculously conservative race that I did.

I transitioned to running from cycling, and wasn't sure I'd like it
that much, or that my legs could handle the pounding. Maybe it's not as
much sheer fun as mountain bike racing, but I'm hooked just the same.
One major difference ... OUCH! I've done 200 mile bike races and had no
trouble walking in the ensuing days. No so with this race.

And Tucson--what a beautiful place this time of year.

Have fun in Boston!

John

Interesting! That's something I will try. Thanks, Phil!

Teresa in AZ

Phil M. wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
>

>>I drank a lot the night before. As usual before a marathon, though.
>>Maybe the cold + excitement. But way more than "normal". I guess I
>>probably did lose a bit of time runnin' through the bushes!

> I just read on the ultra list about the cool weather and adrenalin causing
> the need to urinate...
>
> "If you are in a race, try taking one (Succeed! cap) just before
> the race starts. It is not unusual to see guys pull off the
> course early in the run to pee, losing time. This is primarily a
> result of early hydration ( good ) and the adrenalin pumped out
> in the excitement of the start. Taking an S! cap before the run
> will cancel the need for the early pee. If that is not an issue
> with you, take one at one hour or so."
>
> --Karl King, Principal Scientist, Hach Homeland Security Technologies,
> Loveland Colorado; the President of SUCCEED! Sportsdrink LLC, the
> developer of S! Caps and other sports nutritionals, holds seven
> patents relating to water quality measurement technology, is an ultra
> runner, and former Race Director of the Ice Age Trail 50 Mile Run.

Hi John-

Glad you had a good race! YEah, there's usually some stiffness
after a marathon. Though should be gone soon, mine is already
almost unnoticeable. Tucson is somewhat tough for a first one
what with all the downhill- it beats the snot out of the quads,
more so than a flat marathon. It helps a lot to keep moving
afterwards, ie walk and walk a bit more. ANd then try to do a
lot of walking all during the week.

I'd actually like to try a century bike ride (like El Tour de
Tucson) but I have trouble with that "seat-butt" interface...
about 70 miles and my rearus endus just can't take much more.
And I've tried umpteen saddles. I guess one of these days I'll
find one that works!

Thanks, but won't make Boston this year, have other plans. One
of these days....

Teresa in AZ